Overlapping class C & D

Old May 3rd 04, 06:04 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Default Overlapping class C & D

The Dayton Class C airspace sits right next to the Wright-Patterson AFB
Class D airspace. A vector for the ILS approach often takes us over or
through the class D airspace. If we are VFR, I always verify with the
approach controller if we are ok to enter the class D. I have received
mixed answers to this query. Sometimes the controller will thank me for
asking and confirm that the class D controller is aware of us. Sometimes he
will change the vector upon my query. Sometimes the controller has told me
that I am ok to enter the class D airspace as long as I am talking to him.
One controller was even annoyed that I asked him, and proceed to say that I
was ok to transition the class D. What is the normal procedure in
situations like this?

Old May 3rd 04, 12:18 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
58...

The Dayton Class C airspace sits right next to the Wright-Patterson
AFB Class D airspace. A vector for the ILS approach often takes
us over or through the class D airspace. If we are VFR, I always
verify with the approach controller if we are ok to enter the class
D. I have received mixed answers to this query. Sometimes the
controller will thank me for asking and confirm that the class D
controller is aware of us. Sometimes he will change the vector
upon my query. Sometimes the controller has told me that I am
ok to enter the class D airspace as long as I am talking to him.
One controller was even annoyed that I asked him, and proceed
to say that I was ok to transition the class D. What is the normal
procedure in situations like this?

IFR or VFR, the approach controller is required to coordinate the transition
of Class D airspace with the tower controller.

FAA Order 7110.65P Air Traffic Control

Chapter 2. General Control

Section 1. General

2-1-16. SURFACE AREAS

a. Coordinate with the appropriate nonapproach control tower on an
individual aircraft basis before issuing a clearance which would require
flight within a surface area for which the tower has responsibility unless
otherwise specified in a letter of agreement.

REFERENCE-
FAAO 7210.3, Letters of Agreement, Para 4-3-1.
14 CFR Section 91.127, Operating on or in the Vicinity of an Airport in
Class E Airspace.
P/CG Term- Surface Area.

b. Coordinate with the appropriate control tower for transit authorization
when you are providing radar traffic advisory service to an aircraft that
will enter another facility's airspace.

NOTE-
The pilot is not expected to obtain his/her own authorization through each
area when in contact with a radar facility.

c. Transfer communications to the appropriate facility, if required, prior
to operation within a surface area for which the tower has responsibility.

REFERENCE-
FAAO 7110.65, Radio Communications Transfer, Para 2-1-17.
FAAO 7110.65, Surface Area Restrictions, Para 3-1-11.
FAAO 7110.65, Application, Para 7-6-1.
14 CFR Section 91.129, Operations in Class D Airspace.

Old May 3rd 04, 12:19 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Andrew Sarangan said:
The Dayton Class C airspace sits right next to the Wright-Patterson AFB
Class D airspace. A vector for the ILS approach often takes us over or
through the class D airspace. If we are VFR, I always verify with the

Often in a case like this there will be a LOA (Letter of Agreement)
between the facilities that allows the approach controllers to use some of
the class D airspace without asking.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
....I'm not one of those who think Bill Gates is the devil. I simply
Old May 3rd 04, 02:06 PM
EDR

In article , Andrew
Sarangan wrote:

The Dayton Class C airspace sits right next to the Wright-Patterson AFB
Class D airspace. A vector for the ILS approach often takes us over or
through the class D airspace. If we are VFR, I always verify with the
approach controller if we are ok to enter the class D. I have received
mixed answers to this query. Sometimes the controller will thank me for
asking and confirm that the class D controller is aware of us. Sometimes he
will change the vector upon my query. Sometimes the controller has told me
that I am ok to enter the class D airspace as long as I am talking to him.
One controller was even annoyed that I asked him, and proceed to say that I
was ok to transition the class D. What is the normal procedure in
situations like this?

As Paul said, there is a Letter of Agreement.
The Columbus OH airspace has three CDAS beneath the KCMH CCAS.
There is a LOA between Columbus and each of the three satellites that
reduces the CDAS from 4000 AGL to 2500 AGL, giving the CCAS Approach
control the airspace 2500 and above.
(Note that 2500 AGL is the floor of the CCAS surrounding Columbus.)
Old May 3rd 04, 04:46 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"EDR" wrote in message

As Paul said, there is a Letter of Agreement.
The Columbus OH airspace has three CDAS beneath the
KCMH CCAS. There is a LOA between Columbus and
each of the three satellites that reduces the CDAS from 4000
AGL to 2500 AGL, giving the CCAS Approach control the
airspace 2500 and above. (Note that 2500 AGL is the floor
of the CCAS surrounding Columbus.)

The standard for Class D airspace is 2500' AGL. The standard for the ten
mile ring of Class C airspace is 1200' to 4000' AGL. The OSU and TZR Class
D airspace areas use the standard, the LCK Class D airspace ceiling is 2300'
AGL. The CMH ten mile Class C ring is 1700' to 4000' AGL.

Old May 3rd 04, 05:01 PM
John Galban

Andrew Sarangan wrote in message . 158...
The Dayton Class C airspace sits right next to the Wright-Patterson AFB
Class D airspace. A vector for the ILS approach often takes us over or
through the class D airspace. If we are VFR, I always verify with the
approach controller if we are ok to enter the class D. I have received
mixed answers to this query. Sometimes the controller will thank me for
asking and confirm that the class D controller is aware of us. Sometimes he
will change the vector upon my query. Sometimes the controller has told me
that I am ok to enter the class D airspace as long as I am talking to him.
One controller was even annoyed that I asked him, and proceed to say that I
was ok to transition the class D. What is the normal procedure in
situations like this?

The controller is required to arrange your transition through the
class D airspace. I'm sure Steven McNicholl will post the relavent
passage of the controllers handbook if required :-)

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old May 3rd 04, 05:34 PM
Teacherjh

I'm sure Steven McNicholl will post the relavent
passage of the controllers handbook if required :-)

Nah. He'll post the fact that it's in there.

Jose

Old May 3rd 04, 10:16 PM
EDR

In article . net,
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"EDR" wrote in message

As Paul said, there is a Letter of Agreement.
The Columbus OH airspace has three CDAS beneath the
KCMH CCAS. There is a LOA between Columbus and
each of the three satellites that reduces the CDAS from 4000
AGL to 2500 AGL, giving the CCAS Approach control the
airspace 2500 and above. (Note that 2500 AGL is the floor
of the CCAS surrounding Columbus.)

The standard for Class D airspace is 2500' AGL. The standard for the ten
mile ring of Class C airspace is 1200' to 4000' AGL. The OSU and TZR Class
D airspace areas use the standard, the LCK Class D airspace ceiling is 2300'
AGL. The CMH ten mile Class C ring is 1700' to 4000' AGL.

OOPS!!!
That should have been MSL in posting.
I knew that, I was the one that petitioned to make it uniform back in
the early 1990's.
Old May 4th 04, 06:38 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"EDR" wrote in message

OOPS!!!
That should have been MSL in posting.

Ehh? With field elevations ranging from 744' to 906', substituting MSL for
AGL doesn't make a better fit.

Old May 4th 04, 09:49 PM
EDR

In article . net,
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"EDR" wrote in message

OOPS!!!
That should have been MSL in posting.

Ehh? With field elevations ranging from 744' to 906', substituting MSL for
AGL doesn't make a better fit.

Most certainly does!
CCAS floor is 2500 MSL and the ceiling is 4800 MSL.
CCAS tops out 4000 AGL/4800 MSL referenced KCMH.
One of the unforeseen concequences of my petition to raise the floor on
the west side of the CCAS was to allow the ILS 10L G/S to descend
through the 5/10 mile floor and reenter the the 5 mile cylinder.
This came to light during an OSU home football game.
An America West pilot filed a near miss report with a banner tow
aircraft. It wasn't all that close.
After granting the petition and raising the floor on the west side 300
feet, the FSDO gave the banner tow waivers the addition airspace.
They changed the waivers and reduced the ceiling for the banner tow
aircraft after the near miss report.