Submitting flights to the OLC

Old March 31st 06, 09:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Submitting flights to the OLC

Hi,

using the OLC with the old Cambridge logger is cumbersome, especially
if you need the flights to be IGC validated. Even worse the Cambridge
supplied windows software to create IGC files is not IGC approved and
hereby not usable.

We, the StrePla team, were confronted with that problem some time ago
and implemted the '7steps' OLC solution in StrePla.

- download the CAI file
- convert the CAI file with the DOS software to the IGC file
- append the CAI file at the end of the IGC file (for validating
purpose)

This works for all Cambridge model 10, 20 or 25 (the older once)
without any special knowlege.
Just download the flight from your logger using your PC or PDA and
submit it to the OLC.

Test it! The download is free. The demo program runs 30 days without
any restrictions.
http://www.strepla.de/StrePla4/english

Happy flights!
Klaus Langelüddeke

Old March 31st 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Klaus,

I didn't want to get into this thread, but now I must. You know just as
well as I do that it's not about being able to tackle this one
technically. Anyone interested in proving that I'm not just boasting
should download this file:
http://www.naviter.si/dload/seeyou-cai-dos.zip

1. Extract both files from the ZIP to your SeeYou folder
2. Overwrite your existing SeeYou.exe

Such flights will be scored as valid and this is what is below referred
to as "implementing the seven step solution". It is really a no-step
solution in SeeYou:
1. Open CAI file in SeeYou
2. Submit it to OLC the same way you are used to doing this with any
other file.

However (isn't there always a however). Today is year 2006. Let's go
away from DOS. Please. I sincerely hope that this is just a very
temporary solution. It's ok for us (we hardly even care), but it's not
ok for all of us in the long term.

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar

P.S. Oh - and by the way. If you have not yet upgraded to SeeYou 3.x
you will have to do that now to use this fix. OLC wants you to. We
proposed several ways around it to no avail. Not that we don't want you
to upgrade, but we wanted you to upgrade for the right reasons. Anyway.
Happy soaring. Keep posting flights to the OLC. I love analyzing great
flights no matter where they are from.

--
glider pilots use
http://www.SeeYou.si/

Old March 31st 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Right on Andrej!

Most of us are too busy to mess with DOS and just want applications
that will do what we want with the minimum of fuss. No doubt someone
will complain about a commercial solution like the one implemented in
SeeYou 3, but I am glad we have some programmers like you who can
improve our soaring experience with neat software.

For me, the first thing I do after flying is to download my flight into
SeeYou to view and analyze what I did right and wrong. When I started
soaring over 30 years ago I couldn't have imagined the impact of GPS
logging and analysis software.

DOS - ha!

Mike