Glider rating near Sacramento

Old March 5th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Glider rating near Sacramento

I'm thinking about getting a glider rating for my BFR this summer. I
talked with one place in Truckee but was told it would take an entire
week to do.
Are there any places to do this that specalize in BFRs such that you
can fly much more per day in order to be done in a few intense days? I
just can't justify being away for an entire week for a BFR.
-Robert

Old March 5th 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

But you were not talking about getting a BFR, you were talking about getting
an Additional Rating instead of a BFR.

Look up FAR61.109 and see what is required for the add on rating. A week is
in your words, "a few intense days", plus factor wind/weather problems /
delays.

Many people can do it in a week, many active pilots cannot. Can you fly
formation (tow), can you consistently hit your landing mark without adding
power (you are a glider now). To do it in a week you will be flying many
times every day, and when you are not flying you better have your nose in a
book.

There is some place closer, with bunking facilities, go ask them if they
think a "one week to a glider rating" is worth anything. It's just up the
road in Williams.

BT

ups.com...

Old March 5th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Robert M. Gary" wrote

I'm thinking about getting a glider rating for my BFR this summer. I
talked with one place in Truckee but was told it would take an entire
week to do.
Are there any places to do this that specalize in BFRs such that you
can fly much more per day in order to be done in a few intense days? I
just can't justify being away for an entire week for a BFR.
-Robert

I'm thinking about getting an additional rating (glider) under
61.62 in lieu of a Flight Review under 61.65..........

Are there any flight schools that specialize in intensive glider
training, I just can't justify being away for an entire week for
an additional rating.

First....no such thing as a 'BFR' and then you misuse 'BFR' to
mean 'Rating' twice. I have no idea about how long a 'BFR' would
require, but a Flight Review can be done in a single afternoon.

Bob Moore
Old March 5th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

There is no 61.62 in my book maybe you mean 61.63(b)?
Requirements needed for the "additional glider rating" to meet 61.63 are
listed in
61.109(f)(2) and 61.107(b)(6).

Yes it says you only need 3 hours and 10 solo flights for the private level.
And many people who do the one week course may find they needed more hours
but it is still can be accomplished in a week.
BT

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 122...
"Robert M. Gary" wrote

Old March 5th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"BTIZ" wrote

There is no 61.62 in my book maybe you mean 61.63(b)?

Yep!

Bob
Old March 5th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

sorry, I meant to add that there are schools for the "one week add on",
there are two near Phoenix that specialize. www.ssa.org and clink on Where
to Fly
BT

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 122...
"Robert M. Gary" wrote

Old March 5th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"RG" == Robert M Gary writes:

RG I'm thinking about getting a glider rating for my BFR this
RG summer. I talked with one place in Truckee but was told it
RG would take an entire week to do. Are there any places to do
RG this that specalize in BFRs such that you can fly much more
RG per day in order to be done in a few intense days? I just
RG can't justify being away for an entire week for a BFR.

I won't answer your question, rather suggest maybe you should look at
this another way. Would you justify a week away for a great vacation?
That's the way to see the Truckee glider rating: a week or so to do
something completely absorbing and different than your normal
activities, cleanse out all the old cobwebs and put some new things in
there. It won't be relaxing but will be exhilerating, and what better
locale than Truckee. I got a glider ride there some years ago and
can't imagine better scenery.
Old March 7th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

I'm thinking about getting a glider rating for my BFR this summer. I
talked with one place in Truckee but was told it would take an entire
week to do.

That's an indication that they are not particularly well organized,
which is far from rare in the glider world. Realistically, if you want
an add-on at the private level, that's about a 5 hour (flight time)
process (about 20-25 total flights including 10 solo, many of them very
short duration) and everything you need to know in terms of ground work
you can do in advance. If you were local to me, we would bang it out
in a weekend. Those are fairly generous estimates assuming a 400 hour
pilot without tailwheel experience, too - it can be done faster.
People have.

Despite the protestations of many glider pilots, a training glider like
the Grob 103 or Blanik L13 or L23 (not to mention the slug that is the
Schweitzer 2-33) is MUCH easier to fly and more docile than even the
simplest and most docile of powered trainers. Learning to fly a glider
when you are already proficient at flying a simple airplane is just not
very hard. A reasonably proficient and current power pilot can easily
solo in half a dozen flights of 15-20 minutes each. Some do it in half
that. At glider clubs it often takes twice that long (or more) due to
a variety of factors - lessons not closely spaced, no continuity of
instruction or aircraft (imagine changing instructors every two flights
and aircraft half that often), no organization to the training, etc.

Add ten solo flights (of which as many as you like could be 5 minute
pattern tows) and a few more flights to brush up for the checkride, and
you are done.

At that point, you can safely take off, land, perform basic airwork
maneuvers, and soar in the local area. Soaring cross country will
require more skill and knowledge, but at your experience level you can
learn that on your own if you wish. Dual XC instruction in a glider is
generally not available most places anyway - most people learn on their
own. You read Reichmann, you talk to some experienced soaring pilots,
and you go do it. At most operations, you will need to buy your own
glider to go XC.

Flying a glider safely is something a proficient power pilot can learn
to do in a weekend. Becoming good at flying XC in one takes a
lifetime.

Michael

Old March 7th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

All this makes lots of sense.. sure.. you can do it in a weekend, if you are
prepared academically ahead of time as you mentioned. So.. one guy flies
about 5 hours, 20-25 flights in one weekend at a local glider club and takes
all the time of one instructor, of which there are only two available. And
when told it is a club operation, he chooses not to join the club and gets
****ed when the club does not service him.

NO ONE ELSE in the club or a small commercial operation may get a chance to
fly. This one guy has hogged the training aircraft and instructors time...
plus those 10 pattern tows takes up all the time of the runway and tow plane
for at least an hour.

At a commercial operation, much the same thing can happen. There are 5
students trying to do the same thing in a weeks time, and each demanding
time of one or two instructors.

For a commercial operation to tell someone to allow a week makes plenty of
sense. Don't promise a day or two, state "you need a week", and then if he
gets done early the commercial operation is a hero. The commercial operation
has no idea how proficient this guy is by talking on the phone, you need to
see him fly first. Plus you'll never know what will happen with weather, tow
plane, pilots or glider equipment that could delay the training.

I've told people "the lesson starts at 9am", have the preflight done and the
glider on the line, for post solo students. I get there at 0830 to supervise
plus the other morning rituals, and the student does not even show until
well after 9am to start digging out the glider. Sorry, another unannounced
student was there waiting, you are now number 2 in the training cycle today,
first come, first served.

BT

Get the first ATP - Glider rating in the USA! Mark James Boyd Soaring 0 December 6th 04 08:06 PM
Get your Glider Rating - Texas Burt Compton Aviation Marketplace 0 December 1st 04 05:57 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 04:57 PM
Glider Rating ... Soaring 6 February 18th 04 05:40 PM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 General Aviation 7 January 10th 04 12:35 AM