Dakota Lithium Batteries in Gliders?

Old November 4th 20, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christopher Gough

Default Dakota Lithium Batteries in Gliders?

Anybody tried the Dakota lithium batteries in their gliders? Looks like a good price point.

https://dakotalithium.com/our-batteries/
Old November 4th 20, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 2:18:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Anybody tried the Dakota lithium batteries in their gliders? Looks like a good price point.

https://dakotalithium.com/our-batteries/

I bought one earlier this year for another application. Seems to be performing per specs using actual data from this meter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Based on that I bought a Dakota to replace a K2 that was 6 years old and starting to show signs of decreasing capacity. So far only have a couple of cycles on it but seems to be a direct replacement for the K2.

Old November 4th 20, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Johnson

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 1:45:05 PM UTC-7, Papa3 wrote:

I bought one earlier this year for another application. Seems to be performing per specs using actual data from this meter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a similar meter every time I charge my my glider's LiFePo battery. I basically monitor the total Ah's required to fully charge the battery versus the amount of time my master switch was on and instruments were powered up. Any significant change indicates either my glider's power demand changed or the battery's capacity is changing. This is a great early warning method commonly used with RC models to let you know the on-going health of your battery.

BTW: I use a cheaper brand meter (https://www.amazon.com/Analyzer-Digi.../dp/B0753DPC2D) which appears identical in function.

JJ
Old November 4th 20, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 11:18:00 AM UTC-8, Christopher Gough wrote:
Anybody tried the Dakota lithium batteries in their gliders? Looks like a good price point.

https://dakotalithium.com/our-batteries/

Christopher,

Craggy Aero sells a 10AH LIFEPO4 with a test certification. 3 more amp hours

http://www.craggyaero.com/lifepo4_battery1.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 4th 20, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 4:29:05 PM UTC-5, John Johnson wrote:
On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 1:45:05 PM UTC-7, Papa3 wrote:

I bought one earlier this year for another application. Seems to be performing per specs using actual data from this meter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a similar meter every time I charge my my glider's LiFePo battery. I basically monitor the total Ah's required to fully charge the battery versus the amount of time my master switch was on and instruments were powered up. Any significant change indicates either my glider's power demand changed or the battery's capacity is changing. This is a great early warning method commonly used with RC models to let you know the on-going health of your battery.

BTW: I use a cheaper brand meter (https://www.amazon.com/Analyzer-Digi.../dp/B0753DPC2D) which appears identical in function..

JJ

I also stick the meter in the glider from time to time to test out real-world current draw. With my set of instruments, I draw about 1.26A to 1.28A when the battery is fully charged and everything is on (Clearnav, Clearnav Vario, Dittel Radio, Trig Transponder, Flarm). That changes a little if we happen to have a "chatty" task, but it's good to know what that number is.
Old November 5th 20, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cliff Hilty[_5_]

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 3:43:44 PM UTC-7, Papa3 wrote:
[...]

I have 2 10ah Dakota in my 27 replacing a biennial and a k2 that are at least 5 years old. And our club replaced a bunch of old slas with these all are working great in my case Im getting 5 to 6 hour flight on one running sn10, becker transponder and encoder, dittle radio and powerflarm brick. I h az vent checked but sure I'm drawing at least 2amps. And recharge in 2.5 hours if completely drained.

CH
Old November 5th 20, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

I bought one earlier this year for another application. Seems to be performing per specs using actual data from this meter: https://www.amazon..com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[...]

Their 23AHr battery has 15% more capacity than my Bioenno LFP at 10% higher cost. The cost difference is irrelevant to me, but the capacity is important. Unfortunately, these batteries last so long that I don't anticipate having to replace it.

I will wait to see someone actually test the battery to confirm its specs.

Tom
Old November 5th 20, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 2:18:00 PM UTC-5, Christopher Gough wrote:
Anybody tried the Dakota lithium batteries in their gliders? Looks like a good price point.

https://dakotalithium.com/our-batteries/

I've bought several of these and they seem OK:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/22409204034...m=224092040348
- really good price if you buy 4+ - cheaper than SLAs by far, assuming they last longer. I can confirm that these have a full BMS inside, as I've opened one up.

I've read that *ALL* LiFePO4 batteries are made in China at present.
Old November 5th 20, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

wrote on 11/5/2020 7:12 AM:
On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 2:18:00 PM UTC-5, Christopher Gough wrote:
Anybody tried the Dakota lithium batteries in their gliders? Looks like a good price point.

https://dakotalithium.com/our-batteries/

I've bought several of these and they seem OK:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/22409204034...m=224092040348
- really good price if you buy 4+ - cheaper than SLAs by far, assuming they last longer. I can confirm that these have a full BMS inside, as I've opened one up.

I've read that *ALL* LiFePO4 batteries are made in China at present.

Battle Born says they make their batteries in the USA, but don't specifically state the cells
are made in the USA. Even so, it means production is not entirely in China. It's not obvious to
methat is a better way to choose a battery.

Old November 5th 20, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 10:34:34 AM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote on 11/5/2020 7:12 AM:
On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 2:18:00 PM UTC-5, Christopher Gough wrote:
Anybody tried the Dakota lithium batteries in their gliders? Looks like a good price point.

https://dakotalithium.com/our-batteries/

I've bought several of these and they seem OK:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/22409204034...m=224092040348
- really good price if you buy 4+ - cheaper than SLAs by far, assuming they last longer. I can confirm that these have a full BMS inside, as I've opened one up.

I've read that *ALL* LiFePO4 batteries are made in China at present.

Battle Born says they make their batteries in the USA, but don't specifically state the cells
are made in the USA. Even so, it means production is not entirely in China. It's not obvious to
methat is a better way to choose a battery.

I meant the cell production. I am not saying the Chinese-made cells are bad, they seem to be fine. Just that since they all come from China, there is no clear reason to prefer one brand over another, especially in terms of where they are "assembled". The BMS modules are probably also from China. There may be more variation in BMS function and reliability than the cells?