Old Folks Poll

Old November 5th 20, 11:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Salmon[_3_]

Default Old Folks Poll

Only just seen this thread. I've been gliding twice the 25 years, and would
agree with lots of the comments, glass, gps, etc. I'm not sure about cost
of gliders though. I can only talk about the UK, in my early days a decent
glider would cost roughly the same as the average house, now they are much
cheaper.
Perhaps the biggest change here though is the proliferation of Controlled
Airspace, reducing where we can fly on this little island.
Dave

At 12:41 03 November 2020, Roy B. wrote:
I thought it might be fun (and healthy) to start a poll or discussion for
t=
he guys and gals who have been in the sport for + 25 years or more. So,
my=
question for those people is : "What is the biggest change you have seen
i=
n the sport over the years you have participated?"

For me, the biggest change was the widespread adoption of GPS - which
chan=
ged everything about flight recording, contests, contest tasking and

badge
=
flying. Second place goes to the newer trailers which are so much better
th=
an what we struggled with in the old days. Third place might be OLC . . .
What do you think?

ROY

Old November 5th 20, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Justin Craig[_3_]

The introduction of the fun police!

Old November 5th 20, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Go Soaring

At 13:51 05 November 2020, Justin Craig wrote:
The introduction of the fun police!

And pointless "check flights"

Old November 5th 20, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:35:37 PM UTC-5, andy l wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 November 2020 at 21:57:24 UTC, Chip Bearden wrote:
In the old days, the weatherman made an appearance in the morning and then--as it became evident that the actual conditions most closely resembled the forecast only in the day, date, and time of sunset--disappeared to craft his excuses until reappearing the following morning.

Chip Bearden
JB

That didn't happen in any of our competitions, or in internationals I've been to.

The briefings at one club are held in what we call a blister hangar, a temporary then permanent construction clad with sheets of curved corrugated steel.

One day years ago the met man was telling us about showers, with occasional very heavy ...

The rest of the sentence was drowned out by the sound of hailstones hitting the roof exactly on cue.

I fondly remember camping at early contests in my career (remember camping.... in tents?) and being awakened by the sound of a towplane heading up to do the local sounding. That worked fine for relatively benign days such as the beginning of a period of high-pressure dominated Wx, but it often failed miserably on pre/post frontal days and other dynamic situations. The easy availability of predictive models followed by the emergence of multiple presentation platforms (DrJack, Skysight, TopMeteo, etc.) now means that pretty much every pilot is also the Weather Guy.

Old November 7th 20, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 12:45:06 PM UTC-5, Phil Jeffery wrote:

Phil:
Did you expire in the middle of your post?
We hope not
ROY
Old November 7th 20, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phil Jeffery[_2_]

wrote:

Phil:
Did you expire in the middle of your post?
We hope not
ROY

Not quite yet Roy, thanks for your concern.
For some reason ras cut off my post. Presumably it offended someone, I'm
very used to that!
I was complementing your choice of subject and bemoaning now getting
competitively dicked by grandchildren of pilots I flew with in the 1950s
and
1960s.
Phil

Old November 7th 20, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_2_]

wrote:

Phil:
Did you expire in the middle of your post?
We hope not
ROY

Not quite yet Roy, thanks for your concern.
For some reason ras cut off my post. Presumably it offended someone, I'm
very used to that!
I was complementing your choice of subject and bemoaning now getting
competitively dicked by grandchildren of pilots I flew with in the 1950s
and
1960s.
Phil

For me, the relentlessly increasing time and effort involved in getting out of the cockpit with a chute on.
Old November 7th 20, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

wrote:

Phil:
Did you expire in the middle of your post?
We hope not
ROY

Not quite yet Roy, thanks for your concern.
For some reason ras cut off my post. Presumably it offended someone, I'm
very used to that!
I was complementing your choice of subject and bemoaning now getting
competitively dicked by grandchildren of pilots I flew with in the 1950s
and
1960s.
Phil

For me, the relentlessly increasing time and effort involved in getting out of the cockpit with a chute on.

More exercise, or a glider with BRS (that's my solution), so you don't need a parachute. Or an
inner-tube sort of thing to sit on, that can be inflated to raise you 6" or so.

Old November 9th 20, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 10:41:15 AM UTC-2, Roy B. wrote:
I thought it might be fun (and healthy) to start a poll or discussion for the guys and gals who have been in the sport for + 25 years or more. So, my question for those people is : "What is the biggest change you have seen in the sport over the years you have participated?"

For me, the biggest change was the widespread adoption of GPS - which changed everything about flight recording, contests, contest tasking and badge flying. Second place goes to the newer trailers which are so much better than what we struggled with in the old days. Third place might be OLC . . .
What do you think?

ROY

Yes, I still have a self made prayer wheel, which was quite reliable in the Kestrel; it also had a map section on the back overlaid with spirals of altitude
needed with glide ratios around the periphery.
What has changed? GPS was major change.
What I did not miss ( as a competition pilot no longer) is FREE DISTANCE with the seemingly inevitable overnight costly retrieve. This was a mandatory task for years in US and Cdn rules, a cop-out for task setters when they were faced
with uncertain weather; those I remember Adrian '65, Regina '66, Marfa '67
(360 miles), Red Deer '69, Yugoslavia '72, all over 400km, many times more than the task setters said would be possible; maybe they were fun for the pilot but the distance for a mandatory rest day , (sometimes two days) was always exceeded, which spoiled the contest and cost a lot of money, some accidents and repairs, and proved very little , except that top
pilots can go a long way downwind in uncertain conditions.
John Firth

The Red Arrows - That's It Folks Indrek[_5_] Aviation Photos 1 July 31st 12 09:25 AM
We're getting old, folks... Jay Honeck Piloting 163 January 12th 06 03:41 AM
Lucky folks David Lesher Owning 9 August 5th 05 02:11 PM
Hello folks........ S. Piloting 14 March 13th 05 12:18 AM
Thanks for your help, folks! Jay Honeck Piloting 2 July 16th 03 05:32 PM