First glider Nimbus 2 ?

Old January 12th 21, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default First glider Nimbus 2 ?

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 2:10:20 PM UTC-7, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 11:53:17 -0800, John Foster wrote:

Sorry for the long-winded reply. Just venting some of my frustrations.

Your situation analysis explains a lot I've wondered about in the US club
scene.

I would suggest looking at a 201 Std Libelle, but in the UK and Europe
they've been getting steadily more expensive for the last ten years.

What about a G.102 Astir? Quite a few belong to UK clubs and/or have been
the first glider bought by pilots over here, are easy to fly and fit the
Standard Class specifications (15m span, glass, some models carry water.

How are their prices and availability on your side of the pond?

Similarly, I like the Pegase 101 a lot, but have no idea about US prices.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

There is a Pegase 101 for sale right now on Wings & Wheels for $24,000. Standard Libelles (two) between $14,000 and $16,000. Two H301 Libelles are listed at $10,000 and $19,000. You can get them for less, but are usually in rough shape for less than $10,000. No G102 listed on W & W right now, but from what I remember, they are typically between $15,000 to $20,000. There is a G104 listed for $20,500. Even the old 1-26 seems to be going up in price, with current listings between $8,500 to $10,000. One Ka6CR listed for $6,000, and recent Ka8B have listed for $4,500 to $5,000.

"Marginally appropriate" (maybe not) for first glass ship would be an ASW 15 (not B model) for $7,000. Then there is the Standard Cirrus (again, maybe not the best choice as a first glass ship) for between $12,000 to $20,000 (one is a G81 model with conventional elevator/stabilizer instead of all-flying tail, for $19,900).

Otherwise you are looking at typically $20,000 to $40,000 for anything that people would traditionally recommend as a "first glass ship" that is "appropriate" for a low-time pilot, particularly one trained on the 2-33, as most training is done here in the USA.
Old January 12th 21, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 4:35:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 2:10:20 PM UTC-7, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 11:53:17 -0800, John Foster wrote:

Sorry for the long-winded reply. Just venting some of my frustrations..

I'm completely sympathetic to that dilemma. I'm doing something about it in my club. Over the last 10 years we've upgraded from an all Schweizer-Iron to a "modern" (aka only 40 years old designs) fleet. We have a 2-33, three 1-26s, a 1-34, Pilatus, Grob Twin Astir, LS4, and LS3. Several of those ships came through club member donations. All of the last 3 were basket cases that we bought cheap or were donated. Weand spent hundreds of hours refinishing. Today, we have a reasonable fleet (by US standards at least). I have over 400 hours in personally on the refinish projects, and our total club effort is north of 1500 hours.

Anyway, not to contribute further to thread drift, but the solution is there in the form of going back to the way clubs were built in the last generation. Read Kai Gertsen's book sometime.

Old January 12th 21, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 4:58:03 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
[...]

Hit post a bit prematurely. The other obvious option is a partnership. 2 folks have twice the buying power of 1. Yeah, there will be some conflicts, but you'll be surprised how many times one or the other partner has other obligations and the ship just sits, even on good days. When I've spent time in Europe, it seems like most ships are owned in partnerships..

P3
Old January 12th 21, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 1/12/21 12:44 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Dan Marotta wrote on 1/12/2021 11:39 AM:
On 1/12/21 12:02 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
BG wrote on 1/11/2021 9:34 PM:
Another issue is the risk you are imposing on the tow pilot.Â* Most
of these older ships have CG hooks that provide little help in
directional control.Â*Â* Kiting is also a killer.Â* My club lost a
towpilot this last year due to kiting.

My ASW20C came with only a CG hook. After several years, I
retrofitted it with a nose hook. The improvement on takeoff was
significant, and it was also better in the air. A very worthwhile
change, I thought, and I had about a 1000 hours at the time.

Curious - How does fitting a nose hook make a '20 "better in the air"?
Is it because of a larger opening in the nose?Â* I thought the '20 got
its ventilation via NACA scoops under the wings.Â* Am I missing something?

"Better in the air" referred to being on tow, off the ground. Once the
rope is gone - no change.

Got it, thanks!

--
Dan
5J
Old January 12th 21, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piotr Mis

wtorek, 12 stycznia 2021 oÂ*22:35:53 UTC+1 napisaÅ‚(a):
[...]

Hi Martin
thanks for your hints, but Wings and Wheels is not an option for me, as I am from Poland, central east europan country on the other side of Atlantic . My hunting ground is www.segelflug.de, pracitaclly the only market for second hand gliders in Europe.
My budget is somewhere in the middle between 15kUSD and 10 kUSD, really modest but still I believe I can find something to fly. I get all sorts of good advice of "why don't you buy LS4 or ASW20 etc". Well...I would. If I had money, as they all are twice my budget. And waiting a few more years to save is not an option. I started flying late, I am 53 now and I am sick and tired of being pushed around with teenagers in waiting queues for club gliders. I would rather run a risk of flying a challenging glider than spend next few years saving for a better one or collecting miserable 10 - 15 hours of experience in a season because of limited access to equipment in the club.
What you wrote in your previous is also true for our polish gliding reality.. Many people wishing to fly, few gliders, "privileged" members, constant struggle to fly at least 1 or 2 hours before passing the glider to others, or not flying at all...
Therefore I decided to either get my own glider or stop flying altogether. I joined this thread on the forum becasue I was curious of opinions of more experienced pilots about my intention to get Nimbus. Tremendous value of this excercise was that people draw my attention of what could be possible advantages and drawbacks.
There were some opinions categorically dissuading me from the purchase. I gave particular attention to them, but after getting also many positive opinions I come to conclusion that most or utmost probably it is just the same like any other skill you learn. Persuing my other hobbies throughout my whole life I spent thousands of hours doing more or less risky things; I learned skiing well enough to become a skiing instructor, I learned windsurifing, kitesurfing, roller-blading, I learned to ride a motorbike, I have done probably 1 500 000 km of car driving without accident, I learned to fly powered planes and got PPL licence.

After all that I believe that ultimate factor of safety is good judgement and probably ability and bit of luck . Judgment of own capabilities, judgment of circumstances, judgment of conditions, you name it. Having flown my modest 170h I have almost never been reprimanded by my instructors for making any stupid/dangerous things. Yet some other guy who started gliding course with me nearly landed in someone's backyard, and yet another one once made downwind, straight-in approach being so low, that he practically slid onto the airfield with no air-brakes, close to stall speed. Both of them flew very safe and easy to fly single seatters (SZD-30 Pirat). I guess you can do very dangerous things in the safest glider, or you can fly safely more complex glider if you ensure that weather, landing area is not too challenging.. I don't believe somehow that flying characteristics of two gliders could be worlds apart. I rather believe that flying mentalities could be worlds apart
Old January 13th 21, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 13:35:51 -0800, John Foster wrote:

Standard Libelles (two) between $14,000 and $16,000.

Cheaper that here, then: I got mine for GBP 7,500 in 2006 and last time I
heard a price, they were changing hands for GBP 13,000 - thats due to
Club Class and a decent handicap and because they're nice to fly -
provided you don't have wide shoulders.

Two H301 Libelles are listed at $10,000 and $19,000.

I can't comment because I've never seen one (there are very few in the
UK), but they are flapped, so not a first glider.

IME the main thing that needs getting used to when converting to a
flapped glider is using the flap lever rather than the trim as your
primary speed control. It takes time to be at the point where you're
always in the right flap setting, so quite similar to getting used to
driving a stick shift car when you've learned to drive in a car with
automatic transmission.

Even the old 1-26 seems to be going up in price, with current listings
between $8,500 to $10,000.

Not surprising as no more are being made, they seem to be popular, and
there being enough around to make competing in a one-design class
attractive has to make them more desirable.

One Ka6CR listed for $6,000, and recent Ka8B have listed for
$4,500 to $5,000.

Ka6s have done good things - back when they were fairly new, on a
particularly good day with a northerly, three started from separate
airfields in Southern Germany, joined up in the middle of France and all
landed on the same airfield just short of the Pyrenees on the Spanish
border. Again, I've seen them round and helped to rig them, but never
flown one.

"Marginally appropriate" (maybe not) for first glass ship would be an
ASW 15 (not B model) for $7,000.

A Danish Friend had one and liked it, but said his only had a CG hook
which was offset a long way from the centre line, so it needed a lot of
rudder and still swung quite a bit at the start of an aero tow. Apart
from that, I've heard that:

- the aileron pushrods are supported by sets of three nylon rollers at
120 degrees round the rod. Controls get V stiff if these get gunged up
and are apparently hell to clean

- the wings skins are glass/balsa/glass sandwiches, but so are the wing
skins on on my old Libelle and its not a problem on mine (which is
always kept in its trailer ot pegged out with covers on.

- the spars are box beams with a balsa web on both front and rear sides,
IIRC the webs are painted on the outside but not on the inside, where
they tended to grow mold so in the UK and the EU the annual inspection
requires the spar interiors to be inspected with a bore scope.

He may still have his '15 - I haven't heard from him for quite a while.

Then there is the Standard Cirrus (again, maybe not the best choice as
a first glass ship) for between $12,000 to $20,000 (one is a G81 model
with conventional elevator/stabilizer instead of all-flying tail, for
$19,900).

I've sat in one of the later ones, with conventional elevator, but
haven't flown one. The cockpit is HUGE - almost anybody should fit in
them fairly easily provided they are below the max. pilot weight. Going
to a conventional elevator apparently made them a lot easier to fly, but
probably means that a nice one will get top dollar when sold.

Otherwise you are looking at typically $20,000 to $40,000 for anything
that people would traditionally recommend as a "first glass ship" that
is "appropriate" for a low-time pilot, particularly one trained on the
2-33, as most training is done here in the USA.

I hope some of this is useful info.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old January 13th 21, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 15:02:28 -0800, Piotr Mis wrote:

Hi Martin thanks for your hints, but Wings and Wheels is not an option
for me, as I am from Poland, central east europan country on the other
side of Atlantic .

Sure. That summary wasn't really for you, though I thought you'd probably
read it. About all we see in the UK in the way of eastern aircraft are
Juniors, Puchacz and Perkoz, (my club has all three types), a few Pirats
and PW-5s and maybe a Russia or two.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old January 13th 21, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho

Piotr-

It appears you have learned the most important thing: You get good judgment by surviving bad judgment.

Your life experience with other "risky" activities shows that you most definitely have the maturity and experience to take a chance with an older high performance glider. Whether the Nimbus 2 is the right choice, I cannot say, but considering your willingness to look to others for advice, and your obvious willingness to actually LISTEN to that advice demonstrates that you aren't the type to just pitch your testicles out in front of the plane and try to catch them before they hit the ground.

Do some more research, talk to others and don't take any chances in the early stages of learning to fly whatever you buy. No nasty or questionable weather conditions, no charging off from the field on XC flights until you are completely comfortable landing at your home airstrip in a variety of conditions. Experiment (slowly) with high approaches, low approaches, extended patterns, abbreviated patterns, vary your approach speeds to determine your touchdown and rollout characteristics. In short, practice what it takes to deal with an off field landing before you HAVE to try one.

I say buy the thing. Inspect it carefully, get completely familiar with the cockpit and the controls and be really conservative in the first flights. And in all the subsequent flights, for that matter. Have fun, and remember that the one of the biggest rewards in aviation is flying as long as you can without anyone getting to say, "I told you so."
Old January 13th 21, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Wednesday, 13 January 2021 at 01:02:30 UTC+2, wrote:
wtorek, 12 stycznia 2021 o 22:35:53 UTC+1 napisał(a):
[...]

Piotr, buying your own glider is the best decision you can make in this sport. I have no doubt you can fly N2 safely, it just requires more discipline and respect than smaller gliders. If your options are N2 or nothing, go for N2.
Old January 13th 21, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Me

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 5:02:30 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

On that budget the obvious choice is partnership, not Nimbus 2. And in my opinion the only option if you want a 38:1 or better glider. That's what I did when I was in that situation, purchasing a benign flying good performing sailplane and it worked out great. A few years later I purchased my partners portion and owned the glider outright. A great path to ownership. Then a few years after that with over 1000 hours I upgraded to a higher performance, more complicated glider.

FS: Nimbus 3-25.5 JS Soaring 0 February 19th 08 07:49 PM
FS Nimbus 3 Roy Bourgeois Soaring 0 December 26th 07 07:47 PM
Nimbus down? [email protected] Soaring 2 November 21st 06 02:10 PM
Nimbus 4 Ray Gimmey Soaring 0 May 17th 04 06:46 PM
F.S. Nimbus 3DM Tom Stowers Soaring 0 October 18th 03 07:06 PM