"The Aviator"

Old February 22nd 05, 01:20 AM
Apa

Also in the movie "The Aviator" (which I liked, otherwise...):

1. Instruction to the "pilot" (DiCaprio): "Due course 270". The "pilot"
repeats "270" ... and the plane takes off with the sun setting right BEHIND
it...

2. I don't know, but the wing of the plane (with no power...) slicing
through the building - must have been a really heavy plane if it did not get
kicked around right after the first contact...

3. First flight of plane: The "pilot" (the same one) sits in the cockpit
then wraps his hand around the stick like a weightlifter would before the
big attempt... Then keeps wiggling the stick like crazy throughout the
flight.

Just a few of my peeves...

Apa

"David Cartwright" wrote in message
"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
People tell me that this kind of stuff just goes whistling over
the heads of the general public but I can't stand it.

Hahaha! I find anything that's factually dodgy to be partly funny and
partly irritating; I'm sure anyone who's knowledgable in a particular
field finds themself wondering why the people who make these
films/programmes didn't take the time to do a proper job and take advice.

As a pilot, I often find badly-done flying films annoying. As an IT guy, I
also laughed at the "video phone" in Jurassic Park, which was clearly a
QuickTime movie being played (the progress indicator was clearly visible
on the window with the "phone link" in it).

On a more flying-related note, has anyone else spotted the oddity in Elton
John's song "Daniel"? "Daniel is travelling tonight on a plane/I can see
the red tail lights heading for Spain". And there I was thinking Elton
would be able to see a white tail light (visible through an angle of 120
degrees, if memory serves), though I guess the flashing beacon atop the
fin might be red.

Oh, and then there's Chris de Burgh's "A Spaceman Came Travelling". "It
was light years of time since his mission did start". No it wasn't - the
light year is a measure of distance. (Okay, that's not an aviation one,
but it annoys me).

Can anyone else think of blatant flying-related mistakes in songs, films
or programmes that could have been avoided through some basic research?

D.

Old February 22nd 05, 04:25 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Apa" wrote:

Also in the movie "The Aviator" (which I liked, otherwise...):

1. Instruction to the "pilot" (DiCaprio): "Due course 270". The "pilot"
repeats "270" ... and the plane takes off with the sun setting right BEHIND
it...

2. I don't know, but the wing of the plane (with no power...) slicing
through the building - must have been a really heavy plane if it did not get
kicked around right after the first contact...

3. First flight of plane: The "pilot" (the same one) sits in the cockpit
then wraps his hand around the stick like a weightlifter would before the
big attempt... Then keeps wiggling the stick like crazy throughout the
flight.

Just a few of my peeves...

Yes -- DiCaprio approached the flying scenes the same way a 5-year-old
would act in a cockpit. The only thing missing was his BBBBBBTTTBBBBBB!
sound.