A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Naval Aviation
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

poles off side of aircraft carrier?

Old February 23rd 14, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default poles off side of aircraft carrier?

On Saturday, December 28, 1996 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Ken Rose wrote:
In a number of pictures I've seen of aircraft carriers, there
are a number of relatively long poles near the flight-deck
level aimed out from the ship. I was wondering what these
are; they seem too long to be some type of gun, and I don't
see any netting or anything to make them look like cranes.

-- Ken

--
__________________________________________________ __________________
Ken Rose )
The Usual Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed above are mine alone,
not those of Silicon Graphics

Answer: Either (a.) These are long-wave "whip" antennae normally deployed vertically, however they are lowered to the horizontal during flight operations, or; (b.) they a elaborate fishing gear utilized by ship's complement when food sustenance is tight...; therefore....YOU DECIDE the correct answer...one of which IS correct...