China's stealth jet -J-20

Old January 12th 11, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Schiffner

Default China's stealth jet -J-20

On Jan 6, 9:48*pm, Mike wrote:

You trust the ****ing times? Damn you are gullible. ;^) I think it's a
wonderful thing that they have FINALLY built a stealth fighter and are
catching up to the 21st century. sheesh, the better their stuff the
less likely they are to get stupid.
Old January 12th 11, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Jim Wilkins

On Jan 11, 2:57*pm, "Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D."
wrote:

Reverse engineering. *Ever heard of it?
;-)-

Ever done it?

I have, for training as a semiconductor R&D tech. The good stuff is in
the software.

Old January 12th 11, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Jim Wilkins

On Jan 11, 5:42*pm, Andrew Swallow wrote:
On 11/01/2011 18:53, Dan wrote:
{snip}
Let them steal a chip design with a built in flaw such that it can be
remotely commanded to cause major system failure. Essentially one could
get the Red Chinese to construct an airplane with a built in bomb.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

The danger with that one is that our own aeroplanes have the save flaw.

Andrew Swallow

This is a good example of modern tech:
http://www.xilinx.com/products/virtex6q/index.htm
You draw a schematic or specification, simulate it, then compile it
into a configuration file that (you hope) turns the generic Xilinx
chip into a circuit that implements your design. It's like a computer
program done in hardware. The configuration file is -seriously-
encrypted and loads at power-up, and is lost when the power shuts
off.

The individual elements of the ones I used were composed of 5-input
gates that could duplicate any logic function or Karnaugh map (they
actually used look-up tables) followed by master-slave D-type flip-
flops. If you know how to design computer logic that's all you need to
do anything.

When the first try didn't work because the Air Force radio it
controlled didn't meet its own specs, I needed only 10 minutes to fix
it.

Seriously, if you have the program manager's confidence that's how
fast and easy it can be to fix problems. Had it been deployed I could
have E-mailed the files out, like a Windows Update or BIOS upgrade to
a computer.
..
Old January 12th 11, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Malcolm[_2_]

In article , Andrew Swallow
writes
On 11/01/2011 18:53, Dan wrote:
{snip}

Let them steal a chip design with a built in flaw such that it can be
remotely commanded to cause major system failure. Essentially one could
get the Red Chinese to construct an airplane with a built in bomb.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

The danger with that one is that our own aeroplanes have the save flaw.

Andrew Swallow

Not necessarily. Remember Concorde and Concordski? There were strong
rumours that the Russians had agents who acquired plans/details for
Concorde. The two aircraft were certainly fairly similar. The UK
and/or French got wind of it and fed in some duff data. Hence the crash
and demise of Concordski.

Not sure how true it is BUT I live about a mile from Filton and in an
area where there were a lot of people who worked on the project. When
new neighbours moved in next door about ten years ago they started
stripping wallpaper and found a thin wire similar to a radio aerial
running round the picture rail of a back bedroom........... One of the
previous owners was an aircraft engineer.
--
Malcolm
Old January 12th 11, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Jim Wilkins

On Jan 12, 8:31*am, Malcolm wrote:
Not sure how true it is BUT I live about a mile from Filton and in an
area where there were a lot of people who worked on the project. *When
new neighbours moved in next door about ten years ago they started
stripping wallpaper and found a thin wire similar to a radio aerial
running round the picture rail of a back bedroom........... One of the
previous owners was an aircraft engineer.
--
Malcolm

That sounds like an old shortwave antenna, not one for VHF or UHF
aircraft or military bands.
http://www.hamuniverse.com/shortwaveantenna.html

jsw
Old January 12th 11, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Malcolm[_2_]

In article
s.com, Jim Wilkins writes
On Jan 12, 8:31*am, Malcolm wrote:
Not sure how true it is BUT I live about a mile from Filton and in an
area where there were a lot of people who worked on the project. *When
new neighbours moved in next door about ten years ago they started
stripping wallpaper and found a thin wire similar to a radio aerial
running round the picture rail of a back bedroom........... One of the
previous owners was an aircraft engineer.
--
Malcolm

That sounds like an old shortwave antenna, not one for VHF or UHF
aircraft or military bands.
http://www.hamuniverse.com/shortwaveantenna.html

jsw

You are probably right.

I have an update anyway - spoke to my neighbour about an hour ago and
mentioned this thread. He told me that after a visit from some security
people they said they thought likely that it dated from WWII. The BAC
works at Filton were of course involved in producing the Bristol
Blenheim and Bristol Beaufighters as well as repairing damaged aircraft
so it is quite possible that the aerial was something to do with
espionage then. Who knows.
--
Malcolm
Old January 12th 11, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Daryl Hunt[_2_]

On 1/12/2011 12:24 PM, Malcolm wrote:
In
s.com, Jim writes
On Jan 12, 8:31 am, wrote:
[...]

The germans got ours before and during the war and we got thiers
after the war. Evens out.

Old January 12th 11, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Andrew Swallow

On 12/01/2011 18:11, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jan 12, 8:31 am, wrote:
Not sure how true it is BUT I live about a mile from Filton and in an
area where there were a lot of people who worked on the project. When
new neighbours moved in next door about ten years ago they started
stripping wallpaper and found a thin wire similar to a radio aerial
running round the picture rail of a back bedroom........... One of the
previous owners was an aircraft engineer.
--
Malcolm

That sounds like an old shortwave antenna, not one for VHF or UHF
aircraft or military bands.
http://www.hamuniverse.com/shortwaveantenna.html

jsw

Shortwave can reach spy central near Moscow.

Andrew Swallow
Old January 12th 11, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Daryl Hunt[_3_]

On Jan 12, 8:31 am, wrote:
Not sure how true it is BUT I live about a mile from Filton
and in an
area where there were a lot of people who worked on the
project. When
new neighbours moved in next door about ten years ago they
started
stripping wallpaper and found a thin wire similar to a radio
aerial
running round the picture rail of a back bedroom...........
One of the
previous owners was an aircraft engineer.
--
Malcolm

That sounds like an old shortwave antenna, not one for VHF or UHF
aircraft or military bands.
http://www.hamuniverse.com/shortwaveantenna.html

jsw

Shortwave can reach spy central near Moscow.

Andrew Swallow

Or just about anywhere else. I doubt if it was monitored then as
it is now looking for code words to trigger. I doubt they had
the capability unless there was a huge room full of people
involved each listing on a different freq.

Old January 12th 11, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Jim Wilkins

On Jan 12, 5:13*pm, Andrew Swallow wrote:
..
Shortwave can reach spy central near Moscow.

Andrew Swallow-

Try Switzerland. They used cutouts and communicated in English to mask
the source and destination.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Roessler
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venona_project

As a kid I had a similar wire antenna (hidden in the closet, of
course) to receive Radio Moscow on my ancient Hallicrafters S-40B.
http://www.antiqueradio.org/halli02.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_Russia

I never believed them but it was interesting to see what they
considered important or not, and I like Russian music. The BBC World
Service had the best international news for events not involving
Britain.