Blanik strut fill tool

Old June 7th 13, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Blanik strut fill tool

On Friday, June 7, 2013 11:38:36 AM UTC-6, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Jun 7, 10:08*am, Bill D wrote:

The Colorado Wing of the CAP needs a nitrogen fill tool for the gear strut on their L-23. *I pretty sure it's the same one that was used on the L-13 and Lark.

First, I'd like to get a picture of one to show folks what it is and if you have one, photograph it and post the picture somewhere on the web and let us know where it is. *If you'd like to donate it to the CAP that would be nice too.

The last time I saw a Blanik strut filled, they used a 2000 psi bottle

with a regulator on it. That's the same rig I use on Schreder oleos,

which usually take around 400 psi.

Thanks, Bob K.

Thanks Dave, that's the one.

There are various ways to "cheat" but the tool shown in David Walsh's L-33 group photo does the job right. The essential feature is to be able to open & close the Schraeder valve with the "T" handle while holding the strut pressurized to 450psi. My old Twin Lark tool looked different but worked the same way.

It would be nice to have a regulator on the high pressure bottle set to 450psi but it's not necessary if you're careful to crack open the cylinder valve very slowly while watching the pressure gauge on the fill tool.
Old June 7th 13, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 7, 10:08*am, Bill D wrote:

[...]

Bill,

You can email me directly.

-DW

Fill 'er up? No Thanks. Mark4 Piloting 5 November 29th 10 06:21 PM
Blanik L-23 Super Blanik Manual -F.C.F.S. Joel Flamenbaum Soaring 2 April 14th 10 03:29 PM
Granville's Strut Seal - Or Other Strut Maintenance Techniques zatatime Owning 4 August 31st 05 04:30 PM
Cherokee Strut Lower Strut Seal Replacement Report Mike Spera Owning 3 July 23rd 05 07:07 PM
Blanik Strut adapter David Walsh Soaring 0 September 12th 04 02:16 AM