Really good variometers vs.....

Old June 7th 13, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy[_2_]

Default Really good variometers vs.....

I'm part owner of a Janus C. It's equipped with a Borgelt B100. It works, it's interesting, but it's not exactly easy to use. The one reason I would not toss it is that it drives the only varios in the glider. It also has a Speed to fly feature that I've grown to like, switching modes according to flap settings, and tones that make sense to me. I also have a Cambridge 302A (CFR Only) for a logging and GPS source, and run XCSoar 5.2.4, (which I have been happily using for 6+ years).
I have flown (once only) a friends glider with a full-up 302, but couldn't really figure out what the tones were trying to tell me, though they were quite entertaining. Can anyone recommend a site to learn about the advantages of a modern Vario? What will it give me that I don't get from my CAI 302A/B100/XCSoar?

Thanks,
Jim
Old June 7th 13, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Jim,

Unless you are racing seriously you will gain very little over what you have now by adding anything else.

1. You have a good vario.
2. The 302 logs and drives the computer.
3. XCSoar gives you glide, etc.

For $4000 to $6000 you can get a new system that will be a few percent better. It is like the difference between your Janus and a Duo. 2 to 3X $$$ for a few percent performance.
Old June 7th 13, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Uncle,
I would probably agree with TT on this one. I used an old MNav for years and friends at contests would laugh at the knobs and switches on my computer but I loved the thing and found it easy to use and very accurate. I recently purchased a ship with a dated (But very functional) panel which included a Volkslogger and SN10. Problems started when one of the cables went bad and a new cable cost about half what the VL was worth. I decided to switch GPS sources to a PowerFlarm and discovered the SN10 would need another expensive cable and switch because it does not play well with devices other than the obsolete VL. After some head scratching I decided to go with a modern Vario and yank the old system. Here is what I have noticed; The new varios are much more configurable and tend to be more accurate and easier to use. I have the SC/Climb switch connected to the flap handle with a change in tone with a prescribed AS so I never have to look at the instrument to know which mode it is in. I am still fiddling but I cruise with it in Netto. The user interface is vastly improved and I have a fraction of the heads down time. Had I not installed the PF I might have kept the old Vario/Computer but I am glad I made the update.
To answer your question, Check the various manufacturer sites (LX Nav, Butterfly, etc) and Remde has a vario comparison page at Cumulus.
Best of luck.

Old June 7th 13, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, June 6, 2013 10:16:54 PM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:
Jim, Unless you are racing seriously you will gain very little over what you have now by adding anything else. 1. You have a good vario. 2. The 302 logs and drives the computer. 3. XCSoar gives you glide, etc. For $4000 to $6000 you can get a new system that will be a few percent better. It is like the difference between your Janus and a Duo. 2 to 3X $$$ for a few percent performance.

Thanks Tim! That's what I suspected. I don't FEEL like I'm missing anything, but sometimes I don't know what I DON'T KNOW.
Old June 7th 13, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, June 7, 2013 12:21:15 AM UTC-4, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
I'm part owner of a Janus C. It's equipped with a Borgelt B100. It works, it's interesting, but it's not exactly easy to use. The one reason I would not toss it is that it drives the only varios in the glider. It also has a Speed to fly feature that I've grown to like, switching modes according to flap settings, and tones that make sense to me. I also have a Cambridge 302A (CFR Only) for a logging and GPS source, and run XCSoar 5.2.4, (which I have been happily using for 6+ years). I have flown (once only) a friends glider with a full-up 302, but couldn't really figure out what the tones were trying to tell me, though they were quite entertaining. Can anyone recommend a site to learn about the advantages of a modern Vario? What will it give me that I don't get from my CAI 302A/B100/XCSoar? Thanks, Jim

Being completely familiar with what you have is the most important thing.
Most issues with varios have little to do with the instrument and much to do with the total energy system.
8 hours in the cockpit in the last week is worth more than any multi thousand dollar instrument you aren't in practice with.
UH

Butterfly Variometers - In Stock Paul Remde Soaring 20 September 25th 12 09:47 AM
Sage Variometers new owners Pete Russell Soaring 1 April 5th 07 04:10 PM
Gizmo Variometers? Mike C 17 Soaring 1 August 19th 06 07:01 PM
FS: Winter variometers Marc Ramsey Soaring 0 June 1st 06 07:46 AM
S&V variometers? chris Soaring 7 January 5th 06 06:43 PM