Ventus C, 15m vs 17.6m

Old July 24th 19, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Default Ventus C, 15m vs 17.6m

Just curious, how is the performance of the Ventus C with 17.6m tips installed versus standard 15m with good winglets?

I have done some searching and seen some consensus that the 16.6m tips are typically not used much due to the performance degradation at high air speeds. But what about the 17.6 tips?

Expected conditions would be soaring in Florida.
I also fly Utah, but not thinking I'd need the extra L/D in Utah unless on a weak day.

Also are the 17.6 tips available? What would a set of 17.6 tips cost?

Thanks,
Mike
Old July 24th 19, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

The 17.6 are similar to the 16.6 tips. None were created before improvements in winglet design so they tend to provide improvements at lower speeds but drop off at the higher end. I can’t remember if the 17.6 C had the same 980 pound limitations as the 16.6 on the B models. This limits the usefulness on stronger days.

The tips are better if they have winglets, but most of these were modified after manufacturer. I would prefer to fly a C in 15m with Maughmer winglets than 17.6 without winglets. The winglets help the Ventus groove and improved the stall characteristics.

Unless the glider has the tips when you buy it is very difficult to find a set later.

The longer tips are nice in lift less than 3 knots, for longer glides at slow speed, and floating around on weak days. Without winglets the glider does have a shorter fuselage and rudder optimized for 15m so yaw can be a factor.

Old July 26th 19, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 16:16:20 -0700 (PDT), "Mike N."
wrote:

Just curious, how is the performance of the Ventus C with 17.6m tips installed versus
standard 15m with good winglets?

I have done some searching and seen some consensus that the 16.6m tips are
typically not used much due to the performance degradation at high air speeds.
But what about the 17.6 tips?

Expected conditions would be soaring in Florida.
I also fly Utah, but not thinking I'd need the extra L/D in Utah unless on a weak day.

Also are the 17.6 tips available? What would a set of 17.6 tips cost?

Thanks,
Mike

On availability; at one time S-H offered a retrofit kit that allowed
an owner to convert the 16.6m tips to 17.6m tips. This kit was
provided with 17.6m sleeves that were bonded to the 16.6m tips (after
cutting off about 4 inches of the 16.6m tip). The kit included all
required materials, including the epoxy. Not a complex job, but it did
required careful jigging to assure proper alignment.

Details are available in TN 346-11, still available on the S-H
website. Reference is made to drawing HS8-50.307 describing how the
tip extensions are attached.

I purchased and installed this kit on my Ventus cT in the early
2000's. I doubt the kit is still available, but it would not hurt to
inquire.

I typically fly with the 17.6m tips, except in very strong conditions
with water ballast when I drop back to 15m with winglets. I just like
the way the ship looks and handles at 17.6m.

Bob
Old July 27th 19, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Thanks for the information.

How is the L/D and sink rate versus the 15 m with winglets?

Again looking at Florida as a primary operations area. So light to moderate lift and not high as compared to Utah or other mountain regions.
Old July 28th 19, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Longer wings are better for weaker conditions. As mentioned before, the 17.6 meter wing make the glider "fish tail" a bit in a straight line flight.
Dan
Old July 28th 19, 07:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

I've been flying my Ventus cM in 17.6 m configuration for about 1500 hours, and there is no fishtailing, and you can let the stick go on a thermal. Overall behaviour is very begnin.

Measured performance is 47:1. For European conditions, its max loading of 43 kg/m2 is perfect. I would never consider flying it in 15 m.
Old July 28th 19, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Saturday, July 27, 2019 at 8:40:41 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Longer wings are better for weaker conditions. As mentioned before, the 17.6 meter wing make the glider "fish tail" a bit in a straight line flight.
Dan

I get this in my Kestrel 19, but always considered it to be resulting from rudder flow and the lack of good sealing so the flow attaches and detaches side to side, e.g. laminar to turbulent, thus the movement.

However, you seem to describe something that happens on your Ventus that doesn't happen with in the 15m configuration, is that correct?

Frank Whiteley
Old July 29th 19, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I will explain what happens. When flying in the 17.6 configuration, and letting go of the rudder pedals on a straight line, every time a gust pushes the nose to one direction the nose will stay there and you are not flying coordinated any more. Need rudder input to correct. No rudder input and the nose will move from side to side randomly (fish tail). No big deal, but needs attention.
This does not happen in 15 M configuration.
I believe in later Ventuses they increased the tail.
Dan

Old July 30th 19, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 10:58:25 AM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

I saw this fishtailing was an issue in the Ventus A&B was it resolved in the C or not?

Thanks

Ventus 3 [email protected] Soaring 17 December 29th 15 01:02 AM
Ventus 2c vs. 2cx noel.wade Soaring 19 June 27th 13 02:36 AM
Ventus bT BillT Soaring 2 March 19th 11 09:38 AM
FS Ventus 2cx in CO,USA SAM AND LEIGH ZIMMERMAN Soaring 5 June 4th 08 10:45 AM
Ventus C 17.6 John Shelton Soaring 0 January 17th 05 05:48 PM