A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

National Flat Parachute

Old December 8th 20, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default National Flat Parachute

I've been flying with National 425s (had 2 over the last 30 years or so) and found them very comfortable. Someone recently mentioned to me that the National Flat is even better. Since I'm due for a new chute soon, thought I'd check.

Does anyone have experience using one in a Schleicher ASG-29.

I know, I know... parachute comfort is a very personal thing. But I'm really just wondering if the dimensions (slightly longer and wider container) are an issue. I'm pretty average proportions for a 6'0 205-210# guy.

Thanks in advance,

P3
Old December 8th 20, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_7_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 10:01:13 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
I've been flying with National 425s (had 2 over the last 30 years or so) and found them very comfortable. Someone recently mentioned to me that the National Flat is even better. Since I'm due for a new chute soon, thought I'd check.

I know, I know... parachute comfort is a very personal thing. But I'm really just wondering if the dimensions (slightly longer and wider container) are an issue. I'm pretty average proportions for a 6'0 205-210# guy.

Thanks in advance,

P3

My National 360 is the only chute I have flown with, and I have never found it comfortable, though it is better in my current ship than it had been before. 5'11", 185#. Just found a rigger - after 13 years - who is willing to bias it during repack to help with lumbar support. Allen Silver has a great reputation for advising on fit issues.

Old December 8th 20, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, 8 December 2020 at 03:15:51 UTC, wrote:

Thanks in advance,

P3

My National 360 is the only chute I have flown with, and I have never found it comfortable, though it is better in my current ship than it had been before. 5'11", 185#. Just found a rigger - after 13 years - who is willing to bias it during repack to help with lumbar support. Allen Silver has a great reputation for advising on fit issues.

I have had a National Flat for about 10 years and would recommend it. It is the most comfortable chute I have worn in 44 years of regular gliding. It is softer than a Softie. They have a very adjustable harness so at 5'7" it fits me well and also fitted a very tall 100kg friend to whom I lent it for a few weeks. He emailed me after about 2 weeks of long hot flights in South Africa" and said "today is the first time I have thought about the chute. I guess that says it all. I have ordered one".
Old December 8th 20, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, 8 December 2020 at 14:24:28 UTC, John Galloway wrote:

Thanks in advance,

P3

I have had a National Flat for about 10 years and would recommend it. It is the most comfortable chute I have worn in 44 years of regular gliding. It is softer than a Softie. They have a very adjustable harness so at 5'7" it fits me well and also fitted a very tall 100kg friend to whom I lent it for a few weeks. He emailed me after about 2 weeks of long hot flights in South Africa" and said "today is the first time I have thought about the chute. I guess that says it all. I have ordered one".

I forgot to add that I used it for 2 years in an ASH 26 which has a similar cockpit to the 29.
Old December 9th 20, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sullivan[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 10:15:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Thanks in advance,

P3

I'll trade you my long Softy for your National 360. UFO
Old December 9th 20, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JO
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, 9 December 2020 at 01:27:27 UTC+11, wrote:
On Tuesday, 8 December 2020 at 14:24:28 UTC, John Galloway wrote:

Thanks in advance,

P3

I forgot to add that I used it for 2 years in an ASH 26 which has a similar cockpit to the 29.

I have been using a National Flat for may years and the last several in an ASG29. Very comfortable at all times.
Old December 9th 20, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]
external usenet poster

I have interest in purchasing a new "National Flat" myself.

I recently spoke to Don Mayer at parachuteshop.com.

He highly recommended the "Flat" for gliders.

He cannot sell me a "Flat" because he needs to order a minimum
of 5 "Flat" chutes before National will manufacture them.

He has very competitive prices, I would be interested in ordering
one of these, if we can find 4 more interested parties??????
Old December 10th 20, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phoenix
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 10:36:15 AM UTC-5, joesimmers wrote:
I have interest in purchasing a new "National Flat" myself.

I recently spoke to Don Mayer at parachuteshop.com.

He highly recommended the "Flat" for gliders.

He cannot sell me a "Flat" because he needs to order a minimum
of 5 "Flat" chutes before National will manufacture them.

He has very competitive prices, I would be interested in ordering
one of these, if we can find 4 more interested parties??????

How much?
Old December 10th 20, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]
external usenet poster

With (2) B-12 snaps and a carry bag = $2250.

We need at least 3 to commit Don says he will buy 2 for his stock.

I would be one, perhaps papa 3 the second, then we just need one more.
Old December 12th 20, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John[_36_]
external usenet poster

I also have a flat that replaced a 360. Much better for tall pilots in gliders. I’m 75” and it makes all the difference.