Cessna 210 V-Speeds

Old May 17th 05, 04:30 AM
Eric Bartsch

Default Cessna 210 V-Speeds

I'll be taking my first dual in a 1974 Cessna 210II this Sunday and I
won't have access to a POH until then. If anyone could post the
V-Speeds and typical traffic pattern speeds, I'd appreciate it so I can
start a bit of studying in advance.

Also, any words of wisdom about the plane would be great. I've flown a
206 and a 172RG a lot, so I'm visualizing a combination of the two
(probably not very accurate).

Thanks,
Eric

Old May 17th 05, 05:08 AM
Jose

I flew a 210 once. It took off like a rocket. (My previous high
performance experience at the time was a Cutlass)

The cutlass is a really nice plane - too bad they stopped making them.
I don't know how a 206 handles, maybe the 210 won't seem so unusually
powerful to you.

Jose
Old May 17th 05, 07:01 AM
John Clonts

"Eric Bartsch" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'll be taking my first dual in a 1974 Cessna 210II this Sunday and I
won't have access to a POH until then. If anyone could post the
V-Speeds and typical traffic pattern speeds, I'd appreciate it so I can
start a bit of studying in advance.

Also, any words of wisdom about the plane would be great. I've flown a
206 and a 172RG a lot, so I'm visualizing a combination of the two
(probably not very accurate).

Hello Eric,

I have a '79 210.

All speeds in knots
Vx about 95
Vy 65-70
Vso 50-55
Best glide 70-80
Maneuvering speed 110-120
IFR
Approach level no flaps 130-140 (gear up, about 18")
Approach level w/flaps 110
VFR
Pattern 100-110
Turn Final about 90
Over the fence 65-70

Cruise 160, 80 pounds per hour

Definitely a heavier feel overall than a 172 It will really drop a wing in a departure stall. People told
me that it was "nose heavy" in the flare, but I never found that to be the case.

That's all I can think of at this hour, except that it's a great plane overall, we love ours.
--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Old May 17th 05, 07:09 AM
John Clonts

"John Clonts" wrote in message ...

Hello Eric,

I have a '79 210.

All speeds in knots
Vx about 95
Vy 65-70

Ooops, better flip those Vx and Vy speeds!

Old May 17th 05, 11:14 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

John Clonts wrote:
Definitely a heavier feel overall than a 172 It will really drop a wing

in a departure stall. People told me that it was "nose heavy" in the flare,
but I never found that to be the case.

Flying a C-210 is good training for flying a C-402. Elevator forces are very
similar and much heavier than the C-172. That being said, it's a very capable
airplane.

I had access to both normal C-210s and we had one with a Robertson STOL kit
installed. *That* was a beast. V speeds were virtually identical to the
C-172's and a full STOL takeoff involved pulling it off at 42 knots with your
right leg quivering under a load heavier than a Vmc demonstration in the C-402.
Absolutely incredible! No mush even at the slower speeds. Normal takeoff in
the STOL bird was at 60 knots. I used 80 knots in the conventional C-210.

We had a three plane trip from Marsh Harbour, Bahamas to St. Lucie County, FL
once. I was in an ordinary C-210, the other two aircraft were a T-210 and a
Turbo Aztec. We all landed within 5 minutes of one another. I burned 19
gallons, the T-210 burned 26 gallons and the Turbo Aztec burned 59 gallons of
fuel! You just can't beat a C-210 for bang for the buck.

And for what it's worth: a fully loaded C-210 sinks clean at about 700 fpm with
the engine out. Don't ask me how I know this. To compare, a Piper Lance sinks
at 1100 fpm under the same conditions. Don't ask me how I know that, either.

That's all I can think of at this hour, except that it's a great plane
overall, we love ours.

I can see why. The 210 is one hell of an airplane.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old May 17th 05, 08:13 PM
john smith

Are those gear-up or gear-down speeds?
(Gear down speeds are slower than gear up speeds)

Old May 17th 05, 09:21 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

john smith wrote:
Are those gear-up or gear-down speeds?
(Gear down speeds are slower than gear up speeds)

Vle and Vlo are both 140 KIAS on the C-210. With gear down and with 10° of
flap, best angle is 72 knots; best rate 80 knots. Retract the gear once
obstacles are cleared, then the flaps after you accelerate through 80 knots.
Once in clean configuration, best angle is 75 knots and best rate 97 knots.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old May 18th 05, 02:33 AM
John Clonts

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
. com...
john smith wrote:
Are those gear-up or gear-down speeds?
(Gear down speeds are slower than gear up speeds)

Vle and Vlo are both 140 KIAS on the C-210. With gear down and with 10° of flap, best angle is 72 knots;
best rate 80 knots. Retract the gear once obstacles are cleared, then the flaps after you accelerate through
80 knots. Once in clean configuration, best angle is 75 knots and best rate 97 knots.

My manual agrees on the best angle 72 (at MGW, 3800 lbs) as listed in the Takeoff Distance table; and agrees
with the clean 97 knots best rate in the Rate of Climb table. But I don't see any specific reference for best
rate dirty of 80 or best angle clean of 75. Does your manual specify that? Or are you just citing your
experience and practices?
--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Old May 18th 05, 04:13 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

John Clonts wrote:
My manual agrees on the best angle 72 (at MGW, 3800 lbs) as listed in the
Takeoff Distance table; and agrees with the clean 97 knots best rate in the
Rate of Climb table. But I don't see any specific reference for best rate
dirty of 80 or best angle clean of 75. Does your manual specify that? Or
are you just citing your experience and practices?

My manual (for a 1976 Centurion) specifies the clean V speeds (both of them) on
the first page of the normal operations section. It doesn't come right out and
say what the dirty speeds are but I've extrapolated them from the normal and
high performance takeoff procedures published in the same section of the manual.
For example, it says to establish an 80 knot climb before you raise the gear for
a normal takeoff. I may not be exactly on the money for the dirty best rate but
I should be pretty damned close.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old May 19th 05, 01:22 AM
Eric Bartsch

Thanks to everyone who posted C-210 information. I'm looking forward to
flying the plane on Sunday and eventually getting checked out in it to
do some long XC flights this summer (should be a bit faster than the
206 I used last summer). Sounds like it drops like a rock without
power, but that should be familiar after flying a Cherokee Six-300.

Thanks again,
Eric