Why couldn't it have been Mayor Daley??

Old May 17th 05, 02:52 PM

Default Why couldn't it have been Mayor Daley??

With all the reports now coming out about how close that Cessna came to
getting smoked over Washington, it got me thinking. When the governor
of Kentucky flew into D.C. in his King Air with a dead transponder, it
caused all kinds of panic. Then the Cessna incident happened. If
something like that occurred again, what are the chances that the next
aircraft would be fired upon? Even if the laser warning device had been
operating I doubt the guy in the 152 would have known what it meant
anyhow. (If you're oblivious to an F-16 escort firing flares in front
of you, maybe you don't belong in the air near the Capitol?)

I read on AOPA's site that Chicago's Mayor Daley is whining about his
city not having any Air Force fighter cover - as if Chicago really
needs its own ADIZ... Funny how a guy that has proved himself anti-GA
could be so interested in aviation now. Maybe if he hadn't torn up
Meigs Field some military aircraft could be based there, even if it was
just a few helos.

Ultimate irony all pilots wish for: Daley gets smoked by CAP over his
own city by a fighter jock with an itchy trigger finger.

quasi-political rant mode off

Old May 17th 05, 02:57 PM
Steve Foley

He's hoping for the GA aircraft to get shot down. I don't think he would
hesitate to make that call on ANY aircraft that violated Chicago's bravo. We
already know he makes up his own rules as he goes along.

ups.com...

Old May 17th 05, 03:02 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
He's hoping for the GA aircraft to get shot down. I don't think he would
hesitate to make that call on ANY aircraft that violated Chicago's bravo.
We
already know he makes up his own rules as he goes along.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Funny how a guy that has proved himself anti-GA
could be so interested in aviation now.

Luckily, even if they put a an ADIZ over Chicago and based fighters there
Daily wouldn't be the guy giving the order for the fighters to shoot.

Old May 17th 05, 04:11 PM
Gary Drescher

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
He's hoping for the GA aircraft to get shot down. I don't think he would
hesitate to make that call on ANY aircraft that violated Chicago's bravo.

Ironically, you can fly into the Sears Tower without busting the Class B; in
fact, now that Meigs is gone, you can do it without even being required to
have a radio.

--Gary

Old May 17th 05, 04:31 PM
Icebound

wrote in message
ups.com...
With all the reports now coming out about how close that Cessna came to
getting smoked over Washington, it got me thinking. When the governor
of Kentucky flew into D.C. in his King Air with a dead transponder, it
caused all kinds of panic. Then the Cessna incident happened. If
something like that occurred again, what are the chances that the next
aircraft would be fired upon?

The more often these occur without anybody seriously hurt, the less likely
there will be a shoot-down because the previous experiences will suggest
"low danger probability". ... and also the more likely that the media will
go away because they want to be chasing real blood, not another ho-hum ADIZ
penetration.

Old May 17th 05, 10:20 PM
Just go look it up!

On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:30:58 GMT, George Patterson

Ultimate irony all pilots wish for: Daley gets smoked by CAP over his
own city by a fighter jock with an itchy trigger finger.

You'd have to get him into the air first. Unless the fighter jocks start
strafing limos, Dirty Dick's in no danger.

Perhaps they can have another ammo releasing malfunction on the way to
the shooting range.........

Old May 17th 05, 11:14 PM
Ron Natalie

Gary Drescher wrote:

Ironically, you can fly into the Sears Tower without busting the Class B; in
fact, now that Meigs is gone, you can do it without even being required to
have a radio.

You'd still need mode C in most cases ;-)
Old May 17th 05, 11:49 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
Gary Drescher wrote:

Ironically, you can fly into the Sears Tower without busting the Class B;
in fact, now that Meigs is gone, you can do it without even being
required to have a radio.

You'd still need mode C in most cases ;-)

But if you don't have a radio it's probably because you don't have an
electrical system. If your airplane has never had an engine-driven
electrical system it doesn't need a transponder or encoder to operate in the
Mode C veil.

Old May 18th 05, 12:02 AM
Ron Natalie

Gary Drescher wrote:

Ironically, you can fly into the Sears Tower without busting the Class B;
in fact, now that Meigs is gone, you can do it without even being
required to have a radio.

You'd still need mode C in most cases ;-)

But if you don't have a radio it's probably because you don't have an
electrical system. If your airplane has never had an engine-driven
electrical system it doesn't need a transponder or encoder to operate in the
Mode C veil.

Not a whole lot of those out there. I actually flew my Navion around
a bit with no radios in it (or transponder). Stayed away from the Mode
C veil (and the ADIZ).