By 2030, commercial passengers will routinely fly in pilotlessplanes.

Old September 27th 05, 02:18 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
Not my statement. See
http://www.longbets.org/4

What sayeth the group wisdom? I think eventually there will be
pilotless aircraft, the question is when.

No way. considering the cost of aircraft and the liability of having
passengers it will always be cheaper to have someone there to watch over
things in the case of error.

Old September 27th 05, 02:39 PM
N93332

"Greg Farris" wrote in message
Technologically, we're just one step away. As soon as clearances are
entered directly into the aircraft's navigation computer, via datalink,
instezad of having to be punched in by the crew, fully automatic
operation will be possible. This will reduce workload for controllers,
who will have direct command,and not have to waste time with
unpredictable human elements.

Why would there be controllers? If the system is more automated, the
controllers could be eliminated also.

Old September 27th 05, 02:54 PM
Brad Zeigler

"N93332" wrote in message
Why would there be controllers? If the system is more automated, the
controllers could be eliminated also.

By the time we get rid of pilots, the controllers will be long gone.

Old September 27th 05, 04:47 PM

Greg Farris wrote:
Technologically, we're just one step away. As soon as clearances are

Yeah, like the one step Neil Armstrong made.

In reality though, I do not believe the day will ever come when there is
not someone physically on board the aircraft capable of flying it and
landing it safely. There's just no good reason why we would want to do
that.

Exactly. Look at the JetBlue incident last week. A relatively simple
emergency but a whole chain of decisions needed to be made and executed
for the flight to end successfully. Now talk about engine failure, etc.
I agree that a computer can do a great job when everything goes more or
less according to plan, but what about when it doesn't?

Once the airlines get pilots' salaries down to bus driver levels, the

I suspect that if you compute pay on a seat basis (i.e. $salary per
person carried) that you're already there.

-cwk.

Old September 27th 05, 05:33 PM
Jeroen Wenting

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
Not my statement. See
http://www.longbets.org/4

What sayeth the group wisdom? I think eventually there will be
pilotless aircraft, the question is when.

Not unless we find a way to get rid of pilot unions first.

Old September 27th 05, 05:37 PM
Greg Farris

In article mle_e.11361$L15.4226@trndny01,
says...

And, of course, it can't handle failure of itself
very well.

But then, human operators haev that problem too :
http://aviation-safety.net/database/...?id=19991011-0

Old September 27th 05, 06:36 PM
Peter Duniho

"George Patterson" wrote in message
I agree that a computer can do a great job when everything goes more or
less according to plan, but what about when it doesn't?

Actually, a computer can do a great job of anything you can think of. It
has a problem if something comes up that nobody thought of

The real question is whether pilots on average are able to come up with
inspired solutions to problems more often than they create problems with
perfectly good airplanes.

I admit, I don't have the statistics in front of me, but I suspect that
human error in the cockpit causes more accidents than human novelty recovers
from.

This is the same reason that autopilot cars are a good idea, no matter how
offensive they may seem to some people. Yes, there will be failures of the
equipment. But that will happen MUCH less often than the failures of the
humans, and will improve the reliability and efficiency of our
transportation infrastructure at the same time.

Pete

Old September 27th 05, 06:55 PM
peter

P. Duniho wrote:

This is the same reason that autopilot cars are a good idea, no matter how
offensive they may seem to some people. Yes, there will be failures of the
equipment. But that will happen MUCH less often than the failures of the
humans, and will improve the reliability and efficiency of our
transportation infrastructure at the same time.

Agreed. But the idea has been around for a long time without much
progress being made to implement it. I remember the GM pavilion at the
NY World's Fair in '64 where the diaramas showed the cities of the
future with computer-controlled cars all running smoothly along the
freeways. At that time I would have considered it a virtual certainty
that we'd have auto-piloted cars by 2000 if not much sooner. There
were demonstration projects in the '60s and there are still such
projects and research studies being done today, but I don't see much
evidence that they're much closer to reality now than they were back
then.

So even if all technical hurdles of pilotless airliners can be solved I
don't expect to see them in operation by 2030 or for a long time beyond
that.

Old September 27th 05, 07:03 PM
Peter Duniho

"peter" wrote in message
ups.com...
Agreed. But the idea has been around for a long time without much
progress being made to implement it.

I think it's possible it may NEVER happen. Culturally, especially here in
the US (but I think this is somewhat of a problem nearly everywhere), I
seriously doubt enough people could be convinced to relinquish control of
their cars to a computer. For the same reasons that they think that
spending hundreds of billions of dollars trying to prevent a handful of
deaths from terrorists makes sense, they would rather be in control of their
own demise, even if it means that demise is more likely than if they gave up
control to a computer.

The average person just isn't all that good at evaluating risk and benefit.

So even if all technical hurdles of pilotless airliners can be solved I
don't expect to see them in operation by 2030 or for a long time beyond
that.

Pilotless airliners likely will happen before cars, and I agree that "by
2030" is VERY optimistic. I don't know how old you were at the '64
World's Fair, but I fear you may not live long enough to see pilotless cars
OR airplanes, even if you live to 100 years.

Pete