Flight Training in Mexico

Old March 2nd 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Flight Training in Mexico

I am a U.S. citizen who may be spending quite a bit of time in Mexico. Does
anyone know if I can earn a pilots certificate in Mexico that will be
recognized elsewhere even though I'm not a Mexican citizen or national?

Thanks

pjb

--
Too many spams have forced me to alter my email. If you wish to email me
directly please send messages to pjbphd at cox dot net

Old March 2nd 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Mexican national to get a Mexican pilot license

You can get a Mexican private ticket quite easily based on a U.S.
certificate. I believe a commercal requires a check ride. HOwever, the
poster was probably asking about a U.S. ticket. Most of the aircraft
flying in Mexico are U.S. aircraft and most of the pilots are U.S.
citizens.

-Robert

Old March 2nd 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Thanks for the info.

One correction, non-Mexican citizens cannot own property within 50 km (I
think) of the ocean or border. They can however purchase a bank trust that
essentially conveys the same rights as property, e.g., they can pass it on
to their heirs, sell, act. The bank trusts are set up for 50-years, but are
renewable for 50-year increments in perpetuity.

Thanks again

Paul

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
I"m not aware of any limitation that would stop you from getting a U.S.
ticket. The hard part may be finding a U.S. examiner in Mexico but I'd
bet there probably is one. As you probably know most pilots in Mexico
hold U.S. tickets and most of the aircraft down there have U.S. N
numbers.
BTW: Even though its quite trivial to get a visitor visa in Mexico,
getting residency is more paperwork. There are three levels of status
you most go through. I believe the first is a 1 year residency. After
that you can apply for 5 year, then perm. However, you can never own a
business unless you marry a Mexican or pay a large fee. However, you
can own all the property you like.
I'll be down in Mexico the week after next if you need flight training.
I'll be in Loreto, BCS for about 2 weeks but doing a lot of flying
around. I'm jealous. Mexico would be a great place to live.

-Robert, CFI and frequent Mexico visitor

Old March 2nd 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

non-Mexican citizens cannot own property within 50 km (I think) of the ocean or border.
That must not include the Sea of Cortez. Most of the homes along the
Sea are owned by Americans. In fact San Felipe has a large ReMax office
dedicated to selling homes to Americans on the beach.
However, in any case, they have the U.S. beat hands down. In the U.S.
Americans can't ever own property anywhere, ever.

-Robert

Old March 2nd 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Robert M. Gary" wrote

However, in any case, they have the U.S. beat hands down. In the U.S.
Americans can't ever own property anywhere, ever.

You lost me, on that one.
--
Jim in NC
Old March 3rd 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

I'd guess, referring to the supreme court indicating that the government can
take your property, anytime they want, for any purpose they want.

"Robert M. Gary" wrote

Old March 3rd 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Huh?

If you own something you can do the following...
1) Decide how you want to use it
2) Decide to keep it, even if someone else really wants it
3) Not have to pay something else to keep it.
4) You can stop others from using it

However,
1) You can't do what you want with your property, you must ask the
gov't for permission. You can't even add a window to your house without
permission (permits)
2) If the gov't believes another person or company would make better
community use of your property (even if its just to generate more
taxes) the gov't can take your property
3) If you don't pay your property taxes, see how long you get to keep
your property.
4) If someone builds a shack (without permits) on your property and
establishes that as their home, you can't kick them off.

So my conclusion is that, in the U.S., no one really owns property
other than the govt.

-Robert

Old March 3rd 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Most Mexican towns on the Sea of Cortez now have American brokerage firms,
e.g., ReMax Coldwell Banker, selling to Americans. In fact, most of the
realtors, at least in northern Sonora, are Americans. However, again it's
as bank trusts not title to the land. That's why I may be spending a lot of
time down there, we're looking at purchasing on the Sonoran coast.

pjb

oups.com...

Old March 3rd 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

So my conclusion is that, in the U.S., no one really owns property
other than the govt.

Well, look at the other side. When you "own" real estate, you also
"own" the character of that real estate - the character of the area in
which you purchased it. You own it in common with other real estate
holders in the area, but it is an important part of real estate. It is
what =makes= location important.

The restrictions on other people's ability to screw up your real estate
values by doing "inappropriate" things on their land (like put in an oil
well or a chemical plant) protects =your= real estate investment. In
return, you agree to similar restrictions.

Jose