Cessna Cardinal 177 RG II v. Piper Arrow III (70s) v. Piper Arrow III (brand new)

Old September 15th 06, 10:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug[_1_]

Default Cessna Cardinal 177 RG II v. Piper Arrow III (70s) v. Piper Arrow III (brand new)

Highly unlikely you will keep the plane for 40 years. Practically
unheard of.

I would recommend buying a single, non-retract airplane that will carry
the load you need to carry. Cessna 172 or 182 or a Piper Warrior or
Pathfinder. Retractable gear is a maintenance headache. With your short
hops, speed doesn't really matter. I would also recommend buying it
with the avionics you want, although with 10K in shipping costs you may
have a hard time finding exactly whay you want in Hawaii.

As for leaseback, a simple plane like a 172 or Warrior will rent MUCH
more often and the required insurance premium and required 100 hour
inspections will dictate that you rent it as much as possible if you
want to have any hope at all of breaking even or better.

If I were in your shoes I would either get a 172 or a 182, one of the
later models (1999 or so), but not a new one. New airplanes depreciate
a LOT the first year, so I'd let someone else take that hit. However an
older model that has the avionics I want, if I can find it, would do
even better financially, but would not have the newer planes
reliability. If you prefer the Piper line, then choose one of those.

Good luck.

Old September 15th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
jmk

I can either buy my flight clubs 177 for 50K (without avionics and a
high time engine (for 20K more the clubs mechanic will put a brand new
engine and prop on).

I can buy a Piper Arrow on the mainland and have it shipped to Hawai'i
for about 10K (from Cali), and refit that with the AVIDYNE system.

Here's my two cents... Both are reasonable planes. The Cardinal *had*
a bad reputation for years (and you could pick one up cheap as a
result), but they are beginning to recover from that. I fly a turbo
Arrow III, and have a natural preference for that - but question: What
is the primary use of the plane on leaseback? Is it for training, or
for sightseeing?

Obviously the cardinal has the edge for photo and general sightseeing
in the islands. But the Arrow is clearly preferred for pilots going
for their commercial ticket. Relatively bullet proof, cheap to
operate, and all the systems can be "tested." [Emergency gear
extension, for example.]

Frankly, if I was going to look at significant bucks (as you are),
*and* going to put the plane back on leaseback - I would not even
consider *new* for either. Buy a good quality used one (either plane,
but NOT a turbo Arrow for leaseback) with a run out engine. Have a
good shop do the overhaul, add your avionics suite - and while they are
at it, have the interior re-done and get a good paint job. You should
still be well under $200K, probably more like $120K or less total. The
plane will look like new, fly like new, feel like new - and your
payments at the bank will be a small fraction of what they would be
otherwise. This will allow you to charge a lot less per hour, keeping
it rented a lot more.

Old September 16th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

The Arrow is better looking. If your going to spend that kind of money I
would a buy Bonanza. I have flown them all. The Bonanza is so much nicer.
Kind of spoils you.

Old September 16th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

I'd rather have a 30 year old 36 than a brand new Cessna or
Piper. Fresh paint and a panel mod and new windshield makes
the Beech the best. It is fast, you sit up and it is done
depreciating.

Old September 16th 06, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Check out the Cardinal flyers online site

http://www.cardinalflyers.com/

They have alot of info on the RG, since the site is owned and operated
by 2 guys (Paul Milner and Keith Peterson) that each own an RG (Paul's
is turbo'd!). They are adamant that the gear is solid if rigged and
maintained correctly, and they have the data to prove that. All the
info you could possibly need for the landing gear and the rest of the
plane is available to members ($34/yr). Also, most RG owners report
140-145 kts cruise @ 75%.

Bud

wrote:
Newps wrote:
wrote:

Also the Arrow is, in my experience, friendlier in turbulence, don't
get me wrong, the Cardinal is a great plane but I would "prefer" an
Arrow after looking at all the details right now.

I wouldn't touch a Cessna RG with a 10 foot pole. For that reason alone
go with the Arrow. The Cessna retractable gear is poorly designed and
will cause you problems.

But if I do touch an C177RG with a ten foot pole... doesn't that put me
right under the wing?

On a serious note... why is it a poor system, the RG II I've been
flying has never given the hint of a bad system, no leaks, no
hesitation no nothing, and a engenious emergency extention system to
boot.