Differences between Garmin 295 and 196?

Old January 24th 04, 01:16 AM
John Clonts

Do you know which of these, if any, will record tracks in 3D (i.e. including
altitude). I believe none of the Lowrance units (including the new Airmap
500 and Airmap 1000) can do this.

Thanks!
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

"Dale" wrote in message
I have used the 195 & 295. Now I own the 196. So far the 196 is the best
of the bunch in my opinion. Yes the color is cool, but the processor

speed
of the 195 & 295 is to slow. When it comes to using the cursor on screen

or
just moving from 1 page to another the 196 is very fast. Now when I use a
195 ro 295 I really notice the speed difference. I would not give up my
196 for a 295, but I will sure take a look at the 296 when it comes out.

Dale (FFZ-AZ)

"carlos" wrote in message
I'm in the market for a moving-map aviation GPS, and trying to decide
between Garmin's color 295 and their grayscale 196.

The 196 is a newer model, has a better screen and more functions, but

the
295 offers a color screen. (Why Garmin doesn't offer a color 196, I

don't
understand. They already offer the 176C, which is a marine version of

the
196 in color - Does anyone know why????).

So, is there anyone with experience with both GPSs (the 295 and 196)?

Any
comments? Recommendations?

Thanks,

CGP.

PS: This is for a 1977 Cessna 206.

Old January 24th 04, 01:17 AM
John Clonts

Have you figured out yet whether its recorded tracks include altitude info?

Thanks,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Did you look at the Lowrance 1000, too? Quite interesting.

And check out the AvMap color GPS. It's awesome!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 24th 04, 04:01 AM
John Smith

Does that mean that 5% of your flying is in emergency status???

"Rosspilot" wrote in message
I fly with the 196 and LOVE it. I would use the panel page in an

emergency
only, as I use the moving map page 95% of the time.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old January 25th 04, 10:12 PM
Rosspilot

"Rosspilot" wrote in message

I fly with the 196 and LOVE it. I would use the panel page in an

emergency
only, as I use the moving map page 95% of the time.

SmithyDoes that mean that 5% of your flying is in emergency status???

LOL . . . thank God no. But the 196 has 5 screens, and I do flip around
sometimes just for a little variety.
www.Rosspilot.com

Old January 26th 04, 01:02 PM
Jay Honeck

Have you figured out yet whether its recorded tracks include altitude
info?

Sorry, John, I haven't.

I have no real utility for this piece of info, so I keep forgetting to
check!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 28th 04, 05:27 AM
FurorInbound

Yes. Wait for the GARMIN 296, which is due out in a few weeks. It is a color
version of the 196. GARMIN has let a few people see the 296, on pain of
death if they reveal its existence -- which is the surest way to get free
publicity that I know of.

I called Garmin today based on your comments. The rep I talked to stated that
they were not coming out with a color screen for the 196. So how did you get
your info before the rest of us. Also do you know when it is coming out. I
was wanting to buy a new GPS here in the next few weeks after I get done
looking at all of them. But if Garmin has something new I would like to wait
to see when it will come out
Old January 29th 04, 05:51 PM
Mike Z.

They told me the same thing a year ago.

Middle of February I am ordering Anywhere Map. The Bluetooth thing and Jeppesen's prices for plates put me over the top.

......Of course unless Garmin rolls out the next gen. You sure can have your pick of car GPS with color.

Buggers.

Mike Z

Old January 29th 04, 08:55 PM
C J Campbell

"FurorInbound" wrote in message
| Yes. Wait for the GARMIN 296, which is due out in a few weeks. It is a
color
| version of the 196. GARMIN has let a few people see the 296, on pain of
| death if they reveal its existence -- which is the surest way to get free
| publicity that I know of.
|
| I called Garmin today based on your comments. The rep I talked to stated
that
| they were not coming out with a color screen for the 196.

Who said anything about a color screen for the 196?

OK, Garmin is very secretive. They don't tell the reps anything. At
Arlington last year I had photos in hand of the Garmin 1000 and the reps
knew nothing about it even though Cessna had already announced that they
were putting the system in the Mustang.

The 296 is coming. The only question is when. I suspect they may introduce
it at Sun 'n' Fun.