Talk me out of this...

Old February 8th 04, 02:41 AM
Paul Folbrecht

Default Talk me out of this...

Me: 7x hour recently licenced PP-SEL.

Plane: '79 C152 being sold by my FBO for $19,200. TT is around 8000 (I
think), SMOH is 2050. Annual just done. This looks like an Ok deal to
me when comparing to like models, but the clincher is that they are
throwing in one year of hangering as well. That makes it look like a
pretty nice deal.

Ideally I'd like to go into this with a partner but I haven't been able
to find one and I do honestly think they'll unload this aircraft before
too long. Not sure if the price or terms are negotiable but I would
like to try to squeeze a second year of hangaring out of them.

Concerns:

- Engine has only a few hundred hours till TBO. I know that means
dropping another $10K or so within a few years.
- Plane has been abused by students (including me) for 25 years now (the
FBO bought it new).
- The only A&Ps I know that I could have take a look at it work for this
FBO.

Pros:

- The plane flies a lot; I know that's good for the engine.
- The FBO is reputable and I know they do their maintenance and take
care of squawks.

I'm torn in general on renting vs. owning right now. I anticipate
flying about 100 hours/year- by my calculations that's right around the
break-even point. However, knowing you're always going to have an
aircraft available to fly, even on short notice, is something you can't
put a direct dollar figure on.

I know this issue in general has been beat to death more than anything
else here, and I've read a lot of the old threads, but any and all
comments welcome. I'm much newer at all this than most of you here.

~Paul
Old February 8th 04, 03:00 AM
C J Campbell

We all want you to buy this airplane. Misery loves company.

Old February 8th 04, 03:02 AM
EDR

In article k.net,
Paul Folbrecht wrote:

First, just how big are you?
Are you going to be able to take someone else with you without having
to take your wallet out of your back pocket to have enough room?

Second, are you planning on using the airplane for travel?
Depending on your age, the short legs due to fuel supply won't be a
problem. If you have a strong bladder, and want to take someone with
you, you won't be taking much luggage with you. Two people and camping
gear to Oshkosh? I don't know!!!

You already have your certificate, you don't need a trainer.
Look for a four seater, more options, better resale.
Old February 8th 04, 03:32 AM
R.Hubbell

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 02:41:04 GMT Paul Folbrecht wrote:

Me: 7x hour recently licenced PP-SEL.

Plane: '79 C152 being sold by my FBO for $19,200. TT is around 8000 (I
think), SMOH is 2050. Annual just done. This looks like an Ok deal to
me when comparing to like models, but the clincher is that they are
throwing in one year of hangering as well. That makes it look like a
pretty nice deal.

I'll let you decide, but give you some things to think about.

compare gallons per mile to jus about any other single.
Look at resale value.
Think about the trips you intend to take.

Good luck!

R. Hubbell

Old February 8th 04, 04:42 AM
Dave

Did I read that right? A 'slow' 2-place plane with a new engine for $30K
after riding around for while with a 'run out' engine? Is a trainer
really what you want to fly now and for years to come?

As a comparison, I did a quick google and found a couple of Grumman AA5s
for sale for less than $34,000 that are approach certified. If you are
looking to do x-country work rather than around-the-patch work, the
4-place Grummans give a lot more bang for the buck than a 4-seat C or a
P (IMHO). People tend to go with what they already know, and so the AA5
series is often overlooked because most people didn't train in them,
thus the price of a comparble G will be less than that of C or P.

I am sure the 152 is a fine (if overpriced) plane... but you _did_ ask
to be talked out of it... g (but if I had to choose between a 152 and
no plane at all, I would go with the 152... better a slow plane than no
plane).

Dave
N9560L - GLS
74 Grumman AA5

Old February 8th 04, 06:23 AM
BTIZ

2050 SMOH on an 8000hr "training airplane:...

IIRC.. most C-152 engines hit TBO at 2000, so this engine is run out
already.. should not be any hours left in it..

BT

hlink.net...

Old February 8th 04, 06:47 AM
Jeff

sounds like that engine is about due a overhaul.
I dont know what an engine costs for a 152, but you may want to check on
that so you know about how much your going to have to invest in the new
engine.

Old February 8th 04, 06:50 AM
Jeff

you know, I once heard a guy who said he saw a 152 actually hover over the
runway.
kinda windy day, the guy cut power to land and the plane kinda just hovered
there.

on windy days, there is this 152 up at my airport, the thing looks like a
kite flapping around on its tiedowns.

Old February 8th 04, 07:00 AM
MRQB

Most rentals are worn out or very close to being worn out! Ware do you think
them worn out plane come from?