Toshiba e800 PDA anyone?

Old February 11th 04, 11:41 PM
Eric Greenwell

Default Toshiba e800 PDA anyone?

Is anyone using the Toshiba e800 with their soaring software? The larger
than usual 4 inch display, 480 x 640 resolution, and SD and Compact
Flash slots are attractive. I don't know how bright the display is or if
it can connect with a GPS, however.

And does anyone know if any of the Windows OS cell phones can run any of
the soaring programs (Winpilot, FlywithCE, etc)?
--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old February 12th 04, 02:38 AM
Paul Remde

Hi Eric and everyone,

The Toshiba e800 looks very interesting. I like that it has a larger screen
and offers VGA resolution! I haven't seen one up close yet though. I hope
that there will be many Pocket PCs with that screen size and resolution in
the future, but who knows... We'll have to make all the soaring software
compatible with the higher resolution sometime in the future. So far we've
had the same 320x240 resolution since the inception of Pocket PCs. More
resolution won't allow us to put more information on the screen because we
don't want the text to be too small, but it would make the graphics and text
more crisp.

In regard to cell phones. I've run Glide Navigator II in simulator mode on
2 Pocket PC phones (Siemens SX56 which is the same as the T-Mobile phone,
and Hitachi G1000). It runs fine on every Pocket PC I've tried so far. The
tough part is getting cables and connectors to power the Pocket PC and get
serial GPS data into it. I have not had any luck with that. I haven't
spent much time on it though. I imagine it is possible. But I don't
imagine many people will want to use Pocket PC cell phones in gliders, just
because not many people use Pocket PC phones. Most media rich phones are
Palm OS based.

It will be interesting to see if the e800 is as bright as a 5000 series
iPAQ. The screen on the e800 is considerably larger (4 inches vs. 3.5
inches), which is very nice for use in the cockpit.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring Supplies

Old February 16th 04, 08:11 PM
Uros Podlogar

I have seen the Toshiba e800. The problem is that you have to switch between
normal Pocket PC (240x320) to VGA resolution. In this high resolution mode
only few applications are running (supplied by Toshiba). All other programs
are disabled. e800 is great, but I will wait for a device which will support
higher resolution as a standard.

Pocket PC phone edition is the same thing as the Pocket PC. I think that
Microsoft Smartphone is also an interesting platform.

Regards

Uros Podlogar

www.flyWithCE.com

Old February 19th 04, 04:17 PM
Andrej Kolar

SeeYou Mobile works in VGA resolution on the Toshiba e800:
http://www.seeyou.ws/forum/messages/1031/1044.html

Andrej Kolar