Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

Old May 11th 20, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

Several responses on how the release should be configured to improve response time of a release for Pawnee. Which is interesting since it wasn't a Pawnee this occurred with.
Any recommendations/documentation on how to improve a factory Bellanca Tow Hook or release handle?

Brian
Old May 12th 20, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Our Citabria has the release bowden cable routed up to the top of the fuselage and comes out of the headliner just in front of the switch console and forward to attach to the structural tube at the windscreen/wing root. This places the cable directly above the throttle by about 18 inches at the top of the window.

To release, raise your hand from the throttle to the cable and pull down on the cable. You don't need to look for it or take your eyes off the sky.

We use a Tost release, so no special lever is required to overcome release friction, a simple 5 lb pull will do it.

I have seen some Scouts with a lever mounted up top in an inverted orientation, so you pull down and forward on the lever to actuate.

Old May 12th 20, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 4:59:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 2:28:15 PM UTC-4, john firth wrote:
On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 10:57:01 AM UTC-4, Paul Agnew wrote:
Very sad to read this tragic news this morning.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2020/0...fatal.html?m=1

Comments (anonymous) on the webpage indicate kiting may have been a significant factor.

Sincere condolences to the family of the tow pilot and to the members of the club.

Paul Agnew
Jupiter, FL

It might be interesting to get the statistics from Oz where low tow
is standard. ( anywhere else with low tow)
John F

Valley Soaring Club in NY uses low tow.
About 70,000 towns by club and preceding commercial operation with no upsets.
That said, it could happen tomorrow.
I do believe upset is less likely in low tow however.
UH

How about making the rope longer?
Old May 12th 20, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Curt[_4_]

Anyone see a tow rope in the accident photos? There appears to be a probe of some sort close to the tail wheel and extending beyond. Too blurry to see clearly, but isn't this where the release mech should be? Towed with a Scout many times. We won't get much from the NTSB for months, unfortunately.
CC
Old May 12th 20, 12:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Lane

As well as our Pawnee, our club also operated a Scout for many years. It
had the same release system as our Pawnee, as described in Dave
Springfield's post below and in my earlier post.

=
forward to attach to the structural tube at the windscreen/wing root.
This=
places the cable directly above the throttle by about 18 inches at the
top=
of the window.

To release, raise your hand from the throttle to the cable and pull down
on=
the cable. You don't need to look for it or take your eyes off the sky.

We use a Tost release, so no special lever is required to overcome

release
=
friction, a simple 5 lb pull will do it. =20

Old May 12th 20, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobWa43

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 10:57:01 AM UTC-4, Paul Agnew wrote:
Very sad to read this tragic news this morning.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2020/0...fatal.html?m=1

Comments (anonymous) on the webpage indicate kiting may have been a significant factor.

Sincere condolences to the family of the tow pilot and to the members of the club.

Paul Agnew
Jupiter, FL

Very sad day my condolences to the family and all who knew him. He is a great loss to the soaring community.
Old May 12th 20, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 6:39:07 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I would immediately put an electrical actuator on the release cable. The actuator (either solenoid or linear actuator) would have a pull of 200 lbs or more. The electric actuator could be in parallel with the existing manual lever so that either could release the tow rope. A release switch would be put on the stick, just like helicopters. Ultimately the electric release could be automatically actuated by an attitude sensor.

Tom
Old May 12th 20, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

Again, condolences to all involved. I would sure like to know some of the details. How old and how experienced was the glider pilot? How long was the tow rope and was it within the regulations regarding breaking strength? Was the tow release on the floor of the tow plane? How high were they when the glider kited?

Boggs
Old May 12th 20, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 12:45:39 PM UTC-5, Waveguru wrote:
Again, condolences to all involved. I would sure like to know some of the details. How old and how experienced was the glider pilot? How long was the tow rope and was it within the regulations regarding breaking strength? Was the tow release on the floor of the tow plane? How high were they when the glider kited?

Boggs

With Sadness and respect, the video shows the towplane on the runway, and the paved surface seems to have threshold markings. If this is so, the towplane came to rest on the departure end and would seem to indicate a very low and early event in the launch.
Scott.