A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

27 crash at Ely?

Old July 17th 20, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default 27 crash at Ely?

Mountain flying in glider many times is self taught, as in my case. Years ago as a low time young glider pilot in my first season of XC flying, I was on a safari flying out of Lone Pine in an ASW-24. I was thermalling in a ravine running up the side of the mountain. I was not flying figure eights, rather circles and suddenly I was picked up by the tail, nose pointing what looked straight down, but was still being pulled skyward. My only thought was "oh, that is how hang gliders get tumbled, glad I have tail feathers.." I recovered and continued my circling to get on top, never a thought about what really happened. I was too young, inexperienced and stupid to realize how the hand of fate gave me a break that day. Be careful, don't be afraid to ask questions and heed JJ's advice. On another flight that same week I was over West guard pass at 15,000 ft, when I thought I would fly under a cell to see what happened. I barely made straight in downwind landing at Bishop, 8 miles away. Get some training if you are going to fly the mountains!!! Then be careful and leave an out it is very unforgiving.

Old July 17th 20, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.
external usenet poster

Default 27 crash at Ely?

God bless Marek and his family. Condolences to all.

I am reading this and other related threads intensely.

I am a low time mountain pilot. Flying the Logan UT, mountain Soaring and OLC camp last August was my first mountain Soaring.

I was encouraged to fly dual with another more seasoned pilot, before flying on my own, which I did. We spent most of a day Soaring the area both flying off the mountains as well as valley thermals.

It was a great experience. I appreciated the opportunity to learn.

I'd like to do some more mountain dual. The USA mountain Soaring and OLC camp was a great experience. Where, in the U.S. can I get more of the same?

I think the only other actual mountain Soaring training in the U.S. is Minden?

I am interested in any additional mountain training or dual experience I can get as a fledgling cross country pilot.

Maybe there should be more mountain flying camps in the U.S. In certain areas of Europe mountain flying and training seems to be much more prevalent.

I continue to read these threads with great interest. I am setting very conservative mountain flying standards for myself.
Keep airspeed up.
Figure 8 only until well above the ridge
Be alert and ready for turbulence or upsets.
Listen to local knowledable pilots and seek their advice before flying.

Mike - 1M
Old July 17th 20, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default 27 crash at Ely?

It’s so alarming to see so many guys on YouTube flying super close to ridges at such low airspeeds.
Old July 17th 20, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default 27 crash at Ely?

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 1:00:21 PM UTC-7, wrote:
It’s so alarming to see so many guys on YouTube flying super close to ridges at such low airspeeds.

Here is a cautionary tale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfCh...UQXM5&index=11
Old July 17th 20, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]
external usenet poster

Default 27 crash at Ely?

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 2:00:21 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Youtube Video's often border between deceptive and dangerous.

Pilots may be flying closer than they should. Might be why they are taking a video, or doing so for the video. Camera's do tend to make people do stupid things.

But also Camera's often make it look like they are closer than they really are. Inexperienced pilots watching these might think this is normal and what they should be doing.

Getting some time with and experienced pilot and experiencing it 1st hand so you can see what really is safe and what isn't is invaluable if not life saving.

Brian
Old July 21st 20, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike
external usenet poster

Default 27 crash at Ely?

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 3:36:35 PM UTC-5, Brian wrote:

Pilots may be flying closer than they should. Might be why they are taking a video, or doing so for the video. Camera's do tend to make people do stupid things.

But also Camera's often make it look like they are closer than they really are. Inexperienced pilots watching these might think this is normal and what they should be doing.

Getting some time with and experienced pilot and experiencing it 1st hand so you can see what really is safe and what isn't is invaluable if not life saving.

Brian

How about this looking close to the rocks (5:25)?
https://youtu.be/48P-Y1JF2K0
Old July 21st 20, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

Default 27 crash at Ely?

On Monday, July 20, 2020 at 8:18:18 PM UTC-7, Tom BravoMike wrote:

Brian

....but what kind of sunlight readable phone/PNA navigation device were they using? I thought it was impressive.
Old July 21st 20, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac
external usenet poster

Default 27 crash at Ely?

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 7:40:37 AM UTC-7, 6PK wrote:
On Monday, July 20, 2020 at 8:18:18 PM UTC-7, Tom BravoMike wrote:

Brian

...but what kind of sunlight readable phone/PNA navigation device were they using? I thought it was impressive.

Looks like XCSoar on a Samsung phone. I run XCSoar on a Samsung Galaxy S7 phone and it is amazing. Super bright and extremely sunlight readable in the bright California sun. Battery life on the phone is at least 5 hours.
Old July 21st 20, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BG[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default 27 crash at Ely?

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 8:39:35 AM UTC-7, Mike N. wrote:
God bless Marek and his family. Condolences to all.

I am reading this and other related threads intensely.

I am a low time mountain pilot. Flying the Logan UT, mountain Soaring and OLC camp last August was my first mountain Soaring.

I was encouraged to fly dual with another more seasoned pilot, before flying on my own, which I did. We spent most of a day Soaring the area both flying off the mountains as well as valley thermals.

It was a great experience. I appreciated the opportunity to learn.

I'd like to do some more mountain dual. The USA mountain Soaring and OLC camp was a great experience. Where, in the U.S. can I get more of the same?

I think the only other actual mountain Soaring training in the U.S. is Minden?

I am interested in any additional mountain training or dual experience I can get as a fledgling cross country pilot.

Maybe there should be more mountain flying camps in the U.S. In certain areas of Europe mountain flying and training seems to be much more prevalent..

I continue to read these threads with great interest. I am setting very conservative mountain flying standards for myself.
Keep airspeed up.
Figure 8 only until well above the ridge
Be alert and ready for turbulence or upsets.
Listen to local knowledable pilots and seek their advice before flying.

Mike - 1M

AirSailing north of Reno, Nv offers a Thermal and X-country Camp every year except for this one. It offers the mountain flying experience in local flights, where as Minden the ridge soaring is a bit far away on the Pine Nuts.. Both offer wave and the ability to begin long cross country flights over the Sierras and to The Whites. The Whites are particular dangerous that have claimed many lives in gliders and hang gliding over the years. Flying next to steep terrain is particularly filled with gotchas. I instruct in these areas and teach the closer to the rock you fly the faster you must fly for control reasons. Never make turns towards the ridge, always away. And lastly always have an escape plan, if **** happens. In Hawaii flying a 23 meter ASW 17, I have gone nearly inverted near Mtn. Kahala in the lee of a ridge. Lucky I had more than a 1000ft underneath me to recover.
Old July 21st 20, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

Default 27 crash at Ely?

That does not look like a Samsung Galaxy of any kind to me. Look at what appears to be knobs or antenna on top of the device?