A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Broke Airline Pilot needs "stuff" for an ASW-15B



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old October 24th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 199
Default Broke Airline Pilot needs "stuff" for an ASW-15B

On Oct 23, 8:12*pm, Brad wrote:
is there any hope that XC-Soar will get IGC approval for their logger?

Brad

On Oct 23, 7:57*am, BB wrote:

On Oct 22, 8:06*pm, wrote:


I need a:


1. GPS data logger thats contest worthy


2. PDA device and connections


Current US contest rules require "category 1" (IGC blessed) or
"category 2" (see the list) recorders except for sports regionals
where "category 3" recorders meaning just a pda software are allowed.
See the rules


http://www.ssa.org/files/member/Rules2008Regional.pdf


There is a proposal before the rules committee to allow some
Commercial Off The Shelf (typcially Garmin) units, plus G7towin or
similar software, as category 2 recorders. These would cost about $150
and seem to provide adequate security.


On the other hand, I'm not sure how long category 3 will last, even in
sports class. It's just too tempting to open the file with notepad,
elminate those two fixes in the restricted area, change a few
altitudes from 18101 feet to 17499 feet etc. Loggers that don't make a
G record, which can be too easily spoofed into making one on fake
data, or for which winscore can't verify security via DLLs may not
last long.


With that in mind, if you suspect you'll be in contest soaring for a
while, I'd recommend blowing the bucks on a category 1 or 2 recorder.
This will avoid what everyone else goes through, blowing 3 times the
money on a sequence of "cheap" alternatives that you then abandon.


Otherwise, I'd wait until December to see what the RC comes up with in
the ongoing logger saga.


John Cochrane BB


Yes XCSoar has been approved for OLC, and final testing is being done
now. The next release will have OLC validation.
A great news for a great program!

Mike
Ads
  #12  
Old October 24th 08, 08:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 103
Default Broke Airline Pilot needs

I think there is some confusion here.

For FAI/IGC Internationally recognised records and badges, evidence from a
secure flight recorder is required.

A number of programs produce fligth records that are in the correct
format, but unless they are from an IGC approved recorder, and pass a
validity check, they cannot be used for validating a flight.

What OLC chooses to accept is a matter for OLC, but unless XC-Soar
produces a hardware set that meets the IGC specification, and submits it
for approval, then IGC approval is not possible.

At 03:38 24 October 2008, Mike wrote:
On Oct 23, 8:12=A0pm, Brad wrote:
is there any hope that XC-Soar will get IGC approval for their logger?

Brad

On Oct 23, 7:57=A0am, BB wrote:

On Oct 22, 8:06=A0pm, wrote:


I need a:


1. GPS data logger thats contest worthy


2. PDA device and connections


Current US contest rules require "category 1" (IGC blessed) or
"category 2" (see the list) recorders except for sports regionals
where "category 3" recorders meaning just a pda software are

allowed.
See the rules


http://www.ssa.org/files/member/Rules2008Regional.pdf


There is a proposal before the rules committee to allow some
Commercial Off The Shelf (typcially Garmin) units, plus G7towin or
similar software, as category 2 recorders. These would cost about

$150
and seem to provide adequate security.


On the other hand, I'm not sure how long category 3 will last, even

in
sports class. It's just too tempting to open the file with notepad,
elminate those two fixes in the restricted area, change a few
altitudes from 18101 feet to 17499 feet etc. Loggers that don't make

a
G record, which can be too easily spoofed into making one on fake
data, or for which winscore can't verify security via DLLs may not
last long.


With that in mind, if you suspect you'll be in contest soaring for

a
while, I'd recommend blowing the bucks on a category 1 or 2

recorder.
This will avoid what everyone else goes through, blowing 3 times the
money on a sequence of "cheap" alternatives that you then abandon.


Otherwise, I'd wait until December to see what the RC comes up with

in
the ongoing logger saga.


John Cochrane BB


Yes XCSoar has been approved for OLC, and final testing is being done
now. The next release will have OLC validation.
A great news for a great program!

Mike

  #13  
Old October 24th 08, 10:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 71
Default Broke Airline Pilot needs

Back to the one-man rig issue. Unless you are in an unusual situation you
should be able to get along without this contraption. They are expensive and
use up too much space. At contests, clubs and commercial operations there is
always help.

If you do find yourself facing a solo assembly, use the two-blanket method
I've employed on a few occasions. Using old fluffy quilt-type blankets at
the tail and another where the tip will be when inserted into the fuselage,
assembly can be done as fast and safe as with a one-man rig.

Write me for assembly details if you go this way.

Karl Striedieck


"Peter Purdie" wrote in message
...
I think there is some confusion here.

For FAI/IGC Internationally recognised records and badges, evidence from a
secure flight recorder is required.

A number of programs produce fligth records that are in the correct
format, but unless they are from an IGC approved recorder, and pass a
validity check, they cannot be used for validating a flight.

What OLC chooses to accept is a matter for OLC, but unless XC-Soar
produces a hardware set that meets the IGC specification, and submits it
for approval, then IGC approval is not possible.

At 03:38 24 October 2008, Mike wrote:
On Oct 23, 8:12=A0pm, Brad wrote:
is there any hope that XC-Soar will get IGC approval for their logger?

Brad

On Oct 23, 7:57=A0am, BB wrote:

On Oct 22, 8:06=A0pm, wrote:

I need a:

1. GPS data logger thats contest worthy

2. PDA device and connections

Current US contest rules require "category 1" (IGC blessed) or
"category 2" (see the list) recorders except for sports regionals
where "category 3" recorders meaning just a pda software are

allowed.
See the rules

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/Rules2008Regional.pdf

There is a proposal before the rules committee to allow some
Commercial Off The Shelf (typcially Garmin) units, plus G7towin or
similar software, as category 2 recorders. These would cost about

$150
and seem to provide adequate security.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how long category 3 will last, even

in
sports class. It's just too tempting to open the file with notepad,
elminate those two fixes in the restricted area, change a few
altitudes from 18101 feet to 17499 feet etc. Loggers that don't make

a
G record, which can be too easily spoofed into making one on fake
data, or for which winscore can't verify security via DLLs may not
last long.

With that in mind, if you suspect you'll be in contest soaring for

a
while, I'd recommend blowing the bucks on a category 1 or 2

recorder.
This will avoid what everyone else goes through, blowing 3 times the
money on a sequence of "cheap" alternatives that you then abandon.

Otherwise, I'd wait until December to see what the RC comes up with

in
the ongoing logger saga.

John Cochrane BB


Yes XCSoar has been approved for OLC, and final testing is being done
now. The next release will have OLC validation.
A great news for a great program!

Mike



  #14  
Old October 24th 08, 11:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 164
Default Broke Airline Pilot needs

On Oct 24, 8:00*am, Peter Purdie wrote:
snip
unless XC-Soar
produces a hardware set that meets the IGC specification, and submits it
for approval, then IGC approval is not possible.


And since XC Soar is PDA software I think there is no chance of that
happening.
  #15  
Old October 24th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jb92563
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 137
Default Broke Airline Pilot needs "stuff" for an ASW-15B

XC-SOAR is OLC approved! Awesome.

I put my moving map together on a Dell Axim x51v with a Helix GPS card
that simply inserts in the top of the PDA.

Its advisable to go with the Higher resolution mainstream PDA's from
Dell or HP etc you will be glad you did.

I loaded it with XC Soar and it works fantastic.

XC-Soar is especially nice because it is open source(free) and the way
it is designed you can remap buttons, rearrange the display, and
interface with other instruments like airspeed or vario. You could
even extend the funtionality if your a real programing geek.

The community support site is where you submits bugs, questions and
enhancement requests and new features or improvements regularly pop
up.

Anyway my Dell PDA & GPS card cost $125 on eBay and works fabulously,
the only thing I changed was buy a higher capacity battery and cover
for $12.

I also get wireless internet on the PDA from the Soaring Club so I can
check out last minute weather updates, and peruse airport information,
upload IGC files to the OLC etc. without having to get on the clubs
PC.

So there you have a very affordable solution for your "15"


Ray



Yes XCSoar has been approved for OLC, and final testing is being done
now. The next release will have OLC validation.
A great news for a great program!

Mike- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


  #16  
Old October 24th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,565
Default Broke Airline Pilot needs

On Oct 24, 2:35*am, "Karl Striedieck" wrote:

Write me for assembly details if you go this way.


Now Karl you have teased the thousands that lurk and the few that
post. How about sharing the blanket method? Best I can think of
is one blanket to the hold the broken bits and the other to hide my
face, but you say it works so there must be more to it than that.

Andy
  #17  
Old October 24th 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank[_1_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 126
Default Broke Airline Pilot needs

On Oct 24, 4:35*pm, Andy wrote:
On Oct 24, 2:35*am, "Karl Striedieck" wrote:

Write me for assembly details if you go this way.


Now Karl you have teased the thousands that lurk and the few that
post. *How about sharing the blanket method? * * Best I can think of
is one blanket to the hold the broken bits and the other to hide my
face, but you say it works so there must be more to it than that.

Andy


No, you have it wrong. One blanket is to support the babe in micro-
bikini that is essential to this method. The babe attracts soaring
pilots, who then help you rig/de-rig. The babe may require some
upkeep ;-).

Frank (TA)
  #18  
Old October 24th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 71
Default Broke Airline Pilot needs "stuff" for an ASW-15B

Andy (and other curious or economically challenged souls),

Here is the letter I sent to Scott:

You will need two wing stands, or one wing stand and a table,box, etc. to
hold both wings at the right height for installing the pins. This also
assumes you have an adjustable ramp so the fuselage dolly will go up and
down a little. If not, no problem, you can put stuff under the wings to
raise/lower them.

Measure where the wing tip will be when it is pulled out of the trailer
and put a blanket there so that there is enough blanket to the rear for
sliding the tip further. Tilt the fuselage to the right (right wing on
first with Schleicher) so that it points where the tip will be on the
ground. Pull the tip out, put it on the blanket, go to the spar and lift
it up and put it down on the other (outermost) pin hole. Rotate the wing
until it is directly opposite the spar box, put it down on the other
blanket, go to the root and rotate the wing flat. Insert the right spar
into the fuselage. You will be at the root dragging the tip on the other
blanket. Raise the right wing and support it with some sort of wing stand.

The second wing (left) is handled the same until you slide it in. For this
you lay the spar tip on the fuselage, which will give about a one inch
support, and then go to the tip and pick it up for the slide in. This is
where you will need a second wing support of the correct height to allow
the pins to slide in. Minor adjustments can be made if your ramp raises
and lowers.

This all assumes you are using a trailer that is compatible with this
operation. If it is a home-made rig , modifications may be required. Let
me know.

I've done this a number of times on my 27, which has no push rods to
catch. You may have to figure out something if that is a problem on your
15.

Let me know if you need more details.


wrote in message
...
I recently bought a 1972 ASW-15B. I am on a budget to fix this up.
I'm looking for stuff that works, doesn't look flashly, but fits the
need.

I need a:

1. GPS data logger thats contest worthy

2. PDA device and connections

3. Wing Rigger so I can assemble by myself

4.Gear so I can tow it by myself to the runway

Thank You - Scott Alexander



  #19  
Old October 25th 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,565
Default Broke Airline Pilot needs "stuff" for an ASW-15B

On Oct 24, 2:25*pm, "Karl Striedieck" wrote:
Andy (and other curious or economically challenged souls),

Here is the letter I sent to Scott:



Thanks Karl! I can see how that would work if really stuck for help.
Sounds like there is some pretty awkward lifting, pulling, and pushing
and a good chance of tweaking your back though.

Andy
  #20  
Old October 25th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Martin[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Broke Airline Pilot needs

This is not so mfar fetched

Some years ago on a soaring holiday at Lasham UK, a rather beautiful young
lady arrived and started to get a Discus out of its trailer and made as if
to start rigging.

She was soon joined by eager young men who helped her assemble the glider
- once rigged she left and returned with grandfather who went flying for
the day....

In two weeks I never saw the crafty old beggar rig the glider once but he
flew it every soarable day.....................



At 21:04 24 October 2008, Frank wrote:
On Oct 24, 4:35=A0pm, Andy wrote:
On Oct 24, 2:35=A0am, "Karl Striedieck" wrote:

Write me for assembly details if you go this way.


Now Karl you have teased the thousands that lurk and the few that
post. =A0How about sharing the blanket method? =A0 =A0 Best I can

think
o=
f
is one blanket to the hold the broken bits and the other to hide my
face, but you say it works so there must be more to it than that.

Andy


No, you have it wrong. One blanket is to support the babe in micro-
bikini that is essential to this method. The babe attracts soaring
pilots, who then help you rig/de-rig. The babe may require some
upkeep ;-).

Frank (TA)

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medal of Honor pilot Ed "Too tall" Freedman dies at 80 Tiger Naval Aviation 0 August 21st 08 08:25 PM
End of an era? "FAA Issues Final Rule On Plastic Pilot Certificates" AJ Piloting 2 March 3rd 08 07:47 PM
Are there any "pilot" watches that are actually helpful for pilots? es330td Piloting 51 November 20th 07 12:01 AM
Is a "Go Around" an unfamiliar manoeuvre to a student pilot? David Wright[_2_] Piloting 77 July 20th 07 04:00 PM
Aviation Accident - No "Excellent Pilot" Mention Judah Piloting 3 February 7th 06 10:53 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.