wristbands for air sickness, do they work ?

Old November 9th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

Default wristbands for air sickness, do they work ?

Philip Wills, one of the most famous glider pilots of all time, had motion
sickness at the start of his gliding career, but he got over it and you
can, too.

It will improve when your brain accepts that in a turn you are moving
across stationary ground and it no longer looks like you are stationary
and the world is tilted and moving under you.

Look at the horizon and stare at successive points along the horizon as
you turn. Don't sweep you eyes along it in a steady progression.

At 13:31 09 November 2008, wrote:
On Nov 9, 6:09=A0am, Willy VINKEN wrote:
Not exactly 'placebo effect' (although every pharmacologically

active
drug has some), but rather 'momentary diversion of attention'. =A0
And since you can't do that for a long time, this solution won't

last.
Better focus your attention on more interesting aspects of flying
that keep you busy. =A0That's your instructor's job.

Ask your pharmacist about motion sickness drugs that contain real
active chemicals, and find out how you feel with them. =A0First try

them
without flying or driving. =A0Then don't forget to tell your

instructor.

Yes, you can!

Willy

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 22:33:52 +1100, "Jack" wrote:
I mean drugs that are mentioned on the net on gliding sites, I would
certainly not buy any drug outside of a pharmacy counter.

So you think that applying pressure on the wrists would only have

some
s=
ort
of placebo effect, I will do a little bit of experimentation.

Thanks

"Willy VINKEN" wrote in message
.. .
Don't rely on the Internet for drugs, Jack. =A0At best they are
expensive, often fakes, and sometimes plain dangerous.
Ask your doctor.

Pressing your wrist works momentarily, because you focus your
attention on something else, and you have the anticipation of a

quick
cure. =A0When I plan to take aspirin for a headache, I instantly

feel
better too. =A0But I still have to take it =A0;-) =A0.

Motion sickness is a natural phenomenon: =A0basically, there is

some
discordance between what you eyes see and how your inner ear tells
your brain you are moving. =A0This can result in what we call

'motion
sickness'.
Ask your instructor to keep you alert with flying, with no room

left
for you to analyse how you feel.

Have fun.

Willy

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 21:12:22 +1100, "Jack" wrote:

Thanks for the answer Willy,
That is bad luck that they don't work.
Since pressing lightly on my wrist between the tendon and the edna
instantly
eases the sickness I though there may be some chance that they work

bu=
well
I'll have to try medication.
Another student told me that some tablets called "kwals" or

"Qualls"
n=
ot
sure of the spelling work for him and he does not feel side

effects.
As you pointed out it seems that all the drugs seem to have

different
trade
names in each coutry, all the reccomended drugs I read about on the

ne=
don't seem available here in Australia.

Thanks again
Jack

"Willy VINKEN" wrote in message
No Jack, they don't.
Or at least, there is no scientific evidence that proves they

might.
Nevertheless, everything that derives attention can prevent

motion
sickness. =A0Even having spent a lot of money for a gadget.

=A0The
w=
orst
situation is when you keep thinking motion sickness will happen.
Keep trying, and things will improve.
Drugs like cinnarazine or domperidone might help in between.
NASA even experimented with scopolamine. =A0Those are not

trademarks=
,
but international nonproprietary chemical names. =A0Trademarks

are
different in different countries.
The more efficient they are, the more side effects they have...
But still, they might be a suitable solution for transition.

=A0Your
instructor is always behind you, so some lack of concentration

isn't
dramatic, and you still keep acquiring reflexes. =A0After all,

this
=
is
what basic learning to fly is all about.
Open the window a bit, get some fresh air blowing in your face,

and
concentrate on flying. =A0And believe me, half an hour in the

air,
working hard, is more than enough for a beginner to be exhausted.
Longer flights simply add 'minutes in the cockpit', but don't

improv=
your skills.

Willy VINKEN
Medical doctor, diving instructor and glider pilot.
And having seen a lot of motion sickness...

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 18:10:01 +1100, "Jack" wrote:

I am learning to fly gliders and I struggle with motion sickness.

I have tried:
- Ginder tablets, it helped but I was still a bit nauseaus.
- Motion sickness tablets, they affect my awareness and

concentratio=
n.
- Chewing various things, best was beef jerky (not a joke) it

helps
=
but
still not good enough.

Today in a lesson we had very good conditions, for the first time

=
was
able
to really play and experiment with the glider without stress or

time
constraints, various banks in thermals, near stalls, trim various

sp=
eeds
etc... I was able to get back to thermals to go back to 4-5000ft,

=
had
all
these thing I was planning on learning/improving and today was

the
perfect
day for it but after 30 min the instructor tried to show me how

thermal
with a high bank and in 2 spins I started to feel bad, I took the
controls
again but 1 minute later I was sweating, my focus and

concentration
=
were
gone. We had to waste 5000ft gliding straight down with brakes

out.

My disapointment was huge, I was upset with myself and questioned

if=
should have stayed and fought it but with hindsight I feel we did

th=
right
thing to land.

I understand that I will probably get used to it but from a

learning
point
of view only doing short flights will slow down my progression

and
f=
rom
financial point of view, well a 15min or 1 hour flight cost the

same=

I have seen some adds about wristbands that look like a watch,

they
electrically stimulate the median nerve and are supposed to

prevent
motion
sickness, since they do not have any side effects and the

intensity
=
is
adjustable it seems to be the ideal solution for me, I can

gradually
lower
the intensity until I am used to it.

Now the question, "do they really work ?" they are not cheap,

about
=
the
cost
of 4 =A0x 3000ft tow so I would appreciate if someone who used

them
=
can
comment.

Cheers
Jack- Hide quoted text -

The quickest way to get air sick is to watch the inside wing go
backwards against the ground while turning,avoid that even if your not
lookng directly at the inside of the turn.. The solution is fly the
airplane so you don't have time to get air sick. I remember doing some
dual cross country in a Janus and becoming slightly air sick while
reading a map and not flying. I just had to fly alittle and all that
sweaty and dry mouth nausea subsided. It will get better the more you
fly the airplane.

Old November 9th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

"Jack" None wrote in message
u...
I am learning to fly gliders and I struggle with motion sickness.

I have tried:
- Ginder tablets, it helped but I was still a bit nauseaus.
- Motion sickness tablets, they affect my awareness and concentration.
- Chewing various things, best was beef jerky (not a joke) it helps but still
not good enough.

Motion sickness is partly physical but mostly mental. I think that I am a
very typical pilot in that as long as I am the one on the controls, I am
unlikely to suffer. But shortly after someone else takes the controls and does
a few "whoop-de-doos" all bets are off! Encourage your instructor to keep
demonstrations brief, and to "talk you through" maneuvers whenever possible
rather than demonstrating, even if that slows your progress a bit.

The best medicine for motion sickness is continued exposure to the conditions
that cause it. Most likely, you will soon get used to the sensations of flight
and your problems will gradually fade away. Until then, do whatever seems to
help.

Vaughn

Old November 9th 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Nov 9, 6:26*am, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"Jack" None wrote in message

u...

[...]

Ginger is a proven remedy for many people. Those not responding to
tablets have found that chewing ginger root works. Give it a try.

Mike

Old November 9th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C Koenig

Jack - email me if you are interested in trying that watch.
Colleen

Old November 9th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Gardner

On Nov 9, 7:10*am, "Jack" None wrote:
I am learning to fly gliders and I struggle with motion sickness.
I have seen some adds about wristbands that look like a watch, they
electrically stimulate the median nerve and are supposed to prevent motion
sickness, since they do not have any side effects and the intensity is
adjustable it seems to be the ideal solution for me, I can gradually lower
the intensity until I am used to it.

I would be *very* cautious about using any drugs to combat motion
sickness, and personally I would seek advice from a doctor that is
qualified to give medical advice on aviation matters.

My daughter also suffers from motion sickness, particularly after
thermalling for a while or when spinning to lose height

She finds that she gets some comfort from some cheap-n-cheerful
wristbands ($10) consisting of an elasticated strap with a plastic
bobble about 1cm in diameter and 0.5cm thick. That bobble is placed
on a specific spot on the wrist. I was (and continue to be) sceptical
that it can have any benefit, but I'm not going to tell her that

I'm lucky: air sickenss hasn't been a problem for me, but I'm not
completely immune. I'm most likely to experience the beginnings
of nausea when I'm not flying the aircraft and when I'm looking
sidewards in turbulence. Looking straight forward has helped me.

They say that many pilots suffer from motion sickness, so don't
give up hope too soon.
Old November 9th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Ash

Jack None wrote:
I am learning to fly gliders and I struggle with motion sickness.

I have tried:
- Ginder tablets, it helped but I was still a bit nauseaus.
- Motion sickness tablets, they affect my awareness and concentration.
- Chewing various things, best was beef jerky (not a joke) it helps but
still not good enough.

I really feel for you. I have struggled with motion sickness as well,
although from your description it seems that mine is not as much of a
problem.

When I first started taking lessons it worried me a lot because I had a
history of motion sickness. At the time I had even given up on
long-distance bus travel because they simply made me feel terrible. But I
wanted to fly enough that I decided to give it a shot, and everything was
fine.

Later on I started flying a 1-26 and for some reason this started making
me feel bad again. Fortunately for me it seems that it's *only* the 1-26
that regularly makes me feel sick. I have been sick in other gliders, but
it's rare and there's always some reason for it, like being overly tired,
or that one exciting time my canopy completely frosted over in rotor.

I don't know what it is about the 1-26, but I theorize that it's related
to the very upright and squished (I'm pretty tall) posture I have in it,
and the very large instrument panel that covers up my view.

I decided to simply not fly the 1-26 anymore, because I have lots of other
good options. But before I decided that, I spent some time trying to solve
the problem in other ways, partly because it took me some time to realize
that I was only getting sick in the 1-26, and partly because I really
enjoyed flying it. Keep in mind that motion sickness is largely
(entirely?) psychological, and so that to an even greater extent than many
other medical problems, it varies greatly depending on the individual.
Here's what I tried:

- Crystallized ginger. Highly recommended. Works pretty well, tastes good,
and makes a good snack even if you don't need it in the air. I know you
mentioned ginger tablets, but this may have an advantage simply because
you get to taste the stuff, and the taste may help.

- Drinking more. Getting dehydrated in flight was not helpful! Of course
this is bad anyway. I started carrying a camelbak along with me, and that
helped.

- Eating more/less/differently. I played around with what I ate, and when,
and how much, both for lunch around flight time and for breakfast in the
morning, and this helped as well.

- Contact lenses. I normally wear glasses, and I found that I'd often get
distracted by the frame of my glasses and this would make things get worse
fast. Wearing contacts gets rid of the frame, and I found a pair of
gigantic cheap sunglasses for when it's sunny that keeps the frame safely
out of view. This made a big difference.

- Sleep more. I found that for me, fatigue was a huge factor. I once got
very rapidly sick in a Grob 103 (which was normally just fine for me)
after a busy week at a technical conference.

- Follow the controls if somebody else is flying. This obviously wasn't a
make-or-break for me since I mainly had problems in a single-seater, but
it still seems like a good thing to do. If the other guy is flying, keep
your hand lightly (lightly!) on the stick and follow what he's doing.
Above all else ensure that you never interfere with his flying, but a
light touch can help ensure that you keep your brain informed of what
movements are coming.

And once again, just remember that these were my personal experiences and
yours may (probably will) vary. But I hope that might give you some ideas.

Lastly, you'll probably simply get better with time, as you acclimate. In
the lesson you desrcibe, you say that you were doing fine until the
instructor took over and flew some steep thermalling turns. This can be
pretty hard on the inner ear! It's no surprise that this caused you to
feel bad. Rather than focusing on how you got sick in these pretty trying
conditions, think about how well you were doing up to that point.
Eventually you should be able to do these more extreme maneuvers without
any trouble either, but just work up to it.

You asked about the electronic wristbands. I tried one of those as well,
it didn't do anything for me. I borrowed one from a club-mate for a try,
you may want to ask around and see if anyone in your area has one you
could borrow. It actually belonged to his wife, and she absolutely swears
by it. From what I've read, they have highly variable success depending on
the individual. It's certainly worth a shot if you can borrow one, or buy
one from a place with a good return policy.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old November 9th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Ash

Michael Ash wrote:
Jack None wrote:
I am learning to fly gliders and I struggle with motion sickness.

I have tried:
- Ginder tablets, it helped but I was still a bit nauseaus.
- Motion sickness tablets, they affect my awareness and concentration.
- Chewing various things, best was beef jerky (not a joke) it helps but
still not good enough.

I really feel for you. I have struggled with motion sickness as well,
although from your description it seems that mine is not as much of a
problem.

[snip snip]

Forgot to mention: try not to move your head around too much. Slow, smooth
motions only if you can. (Obviously if moving your head quickly is
required for safe operation, then move your head quickly.) You want to
avoid sharp inputs to your vestibular canals. Hold your head steady when
you can, and move it slowly and smoothly when you need to.

Good luck!

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old November 9th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZZ

Scopolamine is very effective but one of the side effects is reduced
accommodation. Thus your near vision will be blurred and if you are far
sighted (hyperopic) your distance vision will be affected as well. This
might be okay on a boat but not when piloting an aircraft. I would
suggest avoiding any pharmaceutical if you are PIC. Keep trying.

Paul
ZZ

Willy VINKEN wrote:
No Jack, they don't.
Or at least, there is no scientific evidence that proves they might.
Nevertheless, everything that derives attention can prevent motion
sickness. Even having spent a lot of money for a gadget. The worst
situation is when you keep thinking motion sickness will happen.
Keep trying, and things will improve.
Drugs like cinnarazine or domperidone might help in between.
NASA even experimented with scopolamine. Those are not trademarks,
but international nonproprietary chemical names. Trademarks are
different in different countries.
The more efficient they are, the more side effects they have...
But still, they might be a suitable solution for transition. Your
instructor is always behind you, so some lack of concentration isn't
dramatic, and you still keep acquiring reflexes. After all, this is
what basic learning to fly is all about.
Open the window a bit, get some fresh air blowing in your face, and
concentrate on flying. And believe me, half an hour in the air,
working hard, is more than enough for a beginner to be exhausted.
Longer flights simply add 'minutes in the cockpit', but don't improve

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 18:10:01 +1100, "Jack" None wrote:

I am learning to fly gliders and I struggle with motion sickness.

I have tried:
- Ginder tablets, it helped but I was still a bit nauseaus.
- Motion sickness tablets, they affect my awareness and concentration.
- Chewing various things, best was beef jerky (not a joke) it helps but
still not good enough.

Today in a lesson we had very good conditions, for the first time I was able
to really play and experiment with the glider without stress or time
constraints, various banks in thermals, near stalls, trim various speeds
etc... I was able to get back to thermals to go back to 4-5000ft, I had all
these thing I was planning on learning/improving and today was the perfect
day for it but after 30 min the instructor tried to show me how to thermal
with a high bank and in 2 spins I started to feel bad, I took the controls
again but 1 minute later I was sweating, my focus and concentration were
gone. We had to waste 5000ft gliding straight down with brakes out.

My disapointment was huge, I was upset with myself and questioned if I
should have stayed and fought it but with hindsight I feel we did the right
thing to land.

I understand that I will probably get used to it but from a learning point
of view only doing short flights will slow down my progression and from a
financial point of view, well a 15min or 1 hour flight cost the same...

I have seen some adds about wristbands that look like a watch, they
electrically stimulate the median nerve and are supposed to prevent motion
sickness, since they do not have any side effects and the intensity is
adjustable it seems to be the ideal solution for me, I can gradually lower
the intensity until I am used to it.

Now the question, "do they really work ?" they are not cheap, about the cost
of 4 x 3000ft tow so I would appreciate if someone who used them can
comment.

Cheers
Jack

Old November 9th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

With so many esteemed people saying otherwise, I'm almost ashamed to tell
you that the "ReliefBand" works quite well for me, on the few occasions I've
tried it. I carry one in my power plane for passenger use and it seems to be
effective on those who've needed it. One thing for sure, though, is it is
necessary to put the thing on *before* the onset of symptoms, then just push
the button to turn it on if or when it's needed. The last thing you want to
do is be fiddling with getting it on your wrist inside the cockpit when your
tummy is feeling queasy. It's also important to read and follow the
directions carefully, as precise placement is critical.

38 customer reviews at:
http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilots...FQQCagodHnCiOQ

bumper

Old November 9th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tech Support

Jack

I started flying (stiff wing) in late 30's and experienced
intermittent nausea for many hours. While all of my experience has
been in powered aircraft, I can offer some suggestions from my decades
of flying.

In no particular order:

1. Keep cockpit COLD as possible.
2. Direct as much airstream as possible on face.
3. Dress to stay cool.
4. You fly the aircraft (minimum passenger time).
5. Stay busy flying bird (no time to get sick).
6. Make sweeping gentle maneuvers. You may fall out of a thermal but
that is price of getting body acclimated.
7. I don't have the data at hand any more but watch what you eat,
no hot spicy, amount and how close to flight time. May find some
info on Google? Sucking on some peppermint Life Savers sometimes
helps. Chew gum.
8.Have ur ears checked. ENT Doc might determine an anomaly he can
fix. Check inner ear on Google for history of nausea. Check NASA
for what they do/recommend for nausea. What do they do in their
zero"G" trainer aircraft.
9. Sched ur flights in early morning when air is cool and minimum
thermals to bump you around. Know this is not best glider time but
you are trying to get over ur air sickness problem. Stay out of
rough air as aggravates air sickness.
10. Carry a kit with you:
Zip Lock bags to catch barf. Will keep you clean and remove
smell from cockpit. Use instead of diving back to
land.
Wet wipes to clean face and lips after barfing. Store in a Zip
Lock after using.
Possibly small bottle of mouth wash to remove taste from
mouth.
11. AND. Years ago, before TV and Internet, we had a game we played.
We would take a broom and hold bristles against our chest and
spin around as fast as possible looking up handle for 10-20 times
in evening on the grass when stars came out. We then would throw
broom on ground and try to jump over it. Was impossible to do as
you always seemed to jump 90 degrees from direction you wanted to
go. You might try this 'game' every day to give ur body the
exposure to the inner ear vs eye sight difference which you
experience in flight and is the root cause of nausea.

All of these recommendations are little or no cost except for the Doc
visit.

Hope perseverance pays off for you and you can start enjoying your
flying.

Big John
Older than mud )

My list of actions is not all inclusive. Many other things have been
suggested to you and can also be tried.

Air sickness Amine Piloting 125 June 7th 08 12:10 PM
anybody benefit once, mean therefore, then compensate since the sickness above the sentence Franklin Piloting 0 August 14th 07 01:34 AM
XC Sickness [email protected] Soaring 17 July 13th 07 05:45 AM
Anything new in to combat motion sickness? Gary Emerson Soaring 35 February 6th 07 04:38 PM
Gulf Sickness Redux? DunxC Military Aviation 0 September 18th 03 06:36 AM