Electriflying

Old June 22nd 11, 07:17 PM posted to or.politics,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Gatt

Default Electriflying

A few years ago when people were discussing the possibility of
electric-powered flight, you'd get hacked on pretty hard for
suggesting such a thing would be practical or possible in our
lifetime. Obviously if you knew anything about physics or electrical
engineering, why, you'd know it was totally impossible.

So here you go.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/tag/electric-airplane/

"Flight times for two-seat electric aircraft in development already
exceed 90 minutes. That might not be enough for a long cross-country
flight, but it’s longer than the typical flight lesson lasts. And this
is what has caught the attention of flight schools.

The commercial side of electric airplanes may be less about going
places, and more about teaching student pilots how to fly. And the
first electric student pilot has already flown solo, learning the
basics entirely in a battery-powered airplane."

Even better will be a commuter aircraft so you could fly from, say,
Salem to Portland or Seattle to Port Townsend unencumbered by rush
hour traffic. My philosophy is, the faster and harder society advances
this technology the more likely we will be able to enjoy it in our
lifetime.

-c
Old June 22nd 11, 08:39 PM posted to or.politics,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Bill Shatzer[_2_]

Gatt wrote:

A few years ago when people were discussing the possibility of
electric-powered flight, you'd get hacked on pretty hard for
suggesting such a thing would be practical or possible in our
lifetime. Obviously if you knew anything about physics or electrical
engineering, why, you'd know it was totally impossible.

"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is
possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is
impossible, he is very probably wrong."

- Arthur C. Clarke -

peace and justice,

Old June 22nd 11, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

In rec.aviation.owning Gatt wrote:
A few years ago when people were discussing the possibility of
electric-powered flight, you'd get hacked on pretty hard for
suggesting such a thing would be practical or possible in our
lifetime. Obviously if you knew anything about physics or electrical
engineering, why, you'd know it was totally impossible.

So here you go.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/tag/electric-airplane/

"Flight times for two-seat electric aircraft in development already
exceed 90 minutes. That might not be enough for a long cross-country
flight, but it’s longer than the typical flight lesson lasts. And this
is what has caught the attention of flight schools.

So is that 90 minutes plus the FAA mandated reserve time or 90 minutes
minus the the FAA mandated reserve time?

How long to recharge for the next student?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 22nd 11, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Jun 23, 8:08*am, wrote:
In rec.aviation.owning Gatt wrote:

A few years ago when people were discussing the possibility of
electric-powered flight, you'd get hacked on pretty hard for
suggesting such a thing would be practical or possible in our
lifetime. Obviously if you knew anything about physics or electrical
engineering, why, you'd know it was totally impossible.

So here you go.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/tag/electric-airplane/

"Flight times for two-seat electric aircraft in development already
exceed 90 minutes. That might not be enough for a long cross-country
flight, but it’s longer than the typical flight lesson lasts. And this
is what has caught the attention of flight schools.

So is that 90 minutes plus the FAA mandated reserve time or 90 minutes
minus the the FAA mandated reserve time?

How long to recharge for the next student?

They'd come under the heading of toys.
No crosscountry range, a useless rating and a constant changing of
battery packs.
However there IS a machine that is powered with photo voltaic cells on
the wing if you like air speeds of 40 knots 24/7
Old June 23rd 11, 05:48 AM posted to or.politics,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Lobby Dosser[_2_]

"Bill Shatzer" wrote in message
Gatt wrote:

A few years ago when people were discussing the possibility of
electric-powered flight, you'd get hacked on pretty hard for
suggesting such a thing would be practical or possible in our
lifetime. Obviously if you knew anything about physics or electrical
engineering, why, you'd know it was totally impossible.

"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is
possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is
impossible, he is very probably wrong."

- Arthur C. Clarke -

peace and justice,

And the Death by Global Warming bunch are Old Buggers.

Old June 23rd 11, 04:35 PM posted to or.politics,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
SMITH29

On 6/22/2011 12:39 PM, Bill Shatzer wrote:
Gatt wrote:

A few years ago when people were discussing the possibility of
electric-powered flight, you'd get hacked on pretty hard for
suggesting such a thing would be practical or possible in our
lifetime. Obviously if you knew anything about physics or electrical
engineering, why, you'd know it was totally impossible.

"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is
possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is
impossible, he is very probably wrong."

- Arthur C. Clarke -

peace and justice,

xxxx
Clarke was one fine bull****ter.
An Art Bell on steroids.
A HoaXland with 1/2 a brain.
Old June 23rd 11, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith[_2_]

On 2011-06-22, george wrote:
They'd come under the heading of toys.
No crosscountry range, a useless rating and a constant changing of
battery packs.

As things improve, electric aircraft may make for a great glider
towplane! Less noise for the neighbours to whine about, less concern
with cooking the engine on climbout and cooling the engine excessively
on descent, lower maintenance with far fewer moving parts.
Electric propulsion also would be good for a self-launching motorglider,
lower complexity, battery pack doesn't need to be all that big since
you only need power for perhaps 10 minutes (5 minutes to launch,
perhaps keep 5 minutes in hand just in case you need a second attempt
to find lift).

Of course, the Wright's first aircraft wasn't all that useful, but
with development it became useful. Battery and motor control technology
is improving. The electric aircraft will almost certainly remain a niche
aircraft for some time to come, but I wouldn't write it off forever.

Old June 23rd 11, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Alpha Propellerhead

On Jun 22, 1:08*pm, wrote:

So is that 90 minutes plus the FAA mandated reserve time or 90 minutes
minus the the FAA mandated reserve time?

How long to recharge for the next student?

Not sure, yet, but I'm sure the Wright Flyer wasn't an ideal trainer
either. My issue is with the Lithium Polymer batteries. When those
things burn--a bad charger will blow them up--they go incendiary like
fireworks. Some airplane builders around here say the next generation
is under development, but a lot more stable. That means batteries will
continue to become lighter and more stable, at the very least.

They're not going to replace the old Cessna 152 as a primary trainer
at flight schools anytime soon, but if I could buy a 152 with an
electric power plant for my own uses, I'd much rather fly that than
paying $6/gallon @ 5 gallons per hour just for the fuel.

Also, Diamond will be flying a hybrid at the Paris Airshow this year.
Old June 23rd 11, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Alpha Propellerhead

On Jun 22, 1:49*pm, george wrote:

They'd come under the heading of toys.

So do the Kitfox and Talon LSAs that a couple of our students own,
but, my student's trailer-mobile toy airplane is cooler than any
Harley Davidson or muscle car ever made.

And, like I said: Five years ago people ridiculed the very
POSSIBILITY of electric flight, so ridiculing the practicality of it
is water off a duck's back at this point. 'Cause here's the deal:
Lots of people told the Wright Brothers that what they were doing
wasn't possible and in fact the French called them "fliers or liars"
until they went over there and proved it to them.

No crosscountry range,

1 hour at 80 kts is cross country range for a commuter, especially in
regions like Seattle. I commuted 60 miles each way once between a
ten-hour work day, within five miles of airports at both directions.
Recharging batteries and enjoying a summer flight in my 2-seat
commuter, or idling on Interstate 5 all morning and afternoon... hmmm.

a useless rating and a constant changing of battery packs.

And you're not burning $40/hr in fuel, oil and internal-combustion
maintenance. I just flew from St. George UT to Fairbanks in a 172,
and fuel costs at 7.5gph in the Yukon at $8/gallon--$60/hr in fuel and
oil alone--25 hours total time, is as prohibitive to the average
person as charging batteries might be.

You can fly an electric airplane with a private pilot's license. I'm
not sure what "useless rating" means. Is a motorcycle license
"useless"?
Old June 23rd 11, 06:44 PM posted to or.politics,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Alpha Propellerhead

On Jun 23, 8:35*am, SMITH29 wrote:

A few years ago when people were discussing the possibility of
electric-powered flight, you'd get hacked on pretty hard for
suggesting such a thing would be practical or possible in our
lifetime. Obviously if you knew anything about physics or electrical
engineering, why, you'd know it was totally impossible.

Clarke was one fine bull****ter.

PSSST! Did you hear about the ELECTRIC AIRPLANES? The cynics all
said they were IMPOSSIBLE.