Number of aero tows in 2011

Old November 5th 12, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Number of aero tows in 2011

I'm working on some numbers for SSA Growth and Development. I need a SWAG as to how many aero tows were made in the US in 2011. Anyone care to guess?

I know there are about 210 tugs, some more active than others. If each made 20 tows a week, 52 weeks a year, that would be 218,000 tows but I suspect that weather, seasonal and other factors would reduce that to about 100,000 - that's my guess.

Anyone care to differ or offer another number?
Old November 5th 12, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Nov 4, 8:16*pm, Bill D wrote:
I'm working on some numbers for SSA Growth and Development. *I need a SWAG as to how many aero tows were made in the US in 2011. *Anyone care to guess?

I know there are about 210 tugs, some more active than others. *If each made 20 tows a week, 52 weeks a year, that would be 218,000 tows but I suspect that weather, seasonal and other factors would reduce that to about 100,000 - that's my guess.

Anyone care to differ or offer another number?

We average over 1000 per year, operating only Sat and Sun, 52 weekends
a year, 1 tow plane.
Plus about 100 auto tows over 4 days a year.
Old November 5th 12, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Our club achieved just over 1000 tows this year with 2 Tow Planes .
Old November 5th 12, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, November 4, 2012 11:16:29 PM UTC-5, Bill D wrote:
I'm working on some numbers for SSA Growth and Development. I need a SWAG as to how many aero tows were made in the US in 2011. Anyone care to guess? I know there are about 210 tugs, some more active than others. If each made 20 tows a week, 52 weeks a year, that would be 218,000 tows but I suspect that weather, seasonal and other factors would reduce that to about 100,000 - that's my guess. Anyone care to differ or offer another number?

Valley Soaring Club in NY did just under 1300 operating March thru December..
UH
Old November 5th 12, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Answering just for Sundance Aviation at Moriarty, NM, I personally flew 986
tows in 2011. Since I towed 3 days per week, you could estimate that the
operation gave about 2,300 tows that year.

Then there's the soaring club. Maybe they'll also respond.

Old November 5th 12, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Sorry... I added the "total landings" column instead of the "tows" column.
Considering 63 glider flights in 2011, that leaves:

923 tows I did (exactly)

2,100 tows for the total operation (estimated)

Old November 5th 12, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JP Stewart

On Sunday, November 4, 2012 11:16:29 PM UTC-5, Bill D wrote:
I'm working on some numbers for SSA Growth and Development. I need a SWAG as to how many aero tows were made in the US in 2011. Anyone care to guess? I know there are about 210 tugs, some more active than others. If each made 20 tows a week, 52 weeks a year, that would be 218,000 tows but I suspect that weather, seasonal and other factors would reduce that to about 100,000 - that's my guess. Anyone care to differ or offer another number?

Here I have all of the operations for the clubs in Virginia: http://vasoaring.org/

JP
Old November 5th 12, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Monday, November 5, 2012 9:50:00 AM UTC-7, Jp Stewart wrote:
On Sunday, November 4, 2012 11:16:29 PM UTC-5, Bill D wrote:

I'm working on some numbers for SSA Growth and Development. I need a SWAG as to how many aero tows were made in the US in 2011. Anyone care to guess? I know there are about 210 tugs, some more active than others. If each made 20 tows a week, 52 weeks a year, that would be 218,000 tows but I suspect that weather, seasonal and other factors would reduce that to about 100,000 - that's my guess. Anyone care to differ or offer another number?

Here I have all of the operations for the clubs in Virginia: http://vasoaring.org/

JP

JP,
The Albuquerque Soaring Club did 875 tows in 2010 and probably a few more in 2011. I should have the 2011 number shortly....
Thx - Renny

Old November 5th 12, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Sunday, November 4, 2012 9:16:29 PM UTC-7, Bill D wrote:
I'm working on some numbers for SSA Growth and Development. I need a SWAG as to how many aero tows were made in the US in 2011. Anyone care to guess?

I know there are about 210 tugs, some more active than others. If each made 20 tows a week, 52 weeks a year, that would be 218,000 tows but I suspect that weather, seasonal and other factors would reduce that to about 100,000 - that's my guess.

Anyone care to differ or offer another number?

Bill,
OK..I just got the number. Albuquerque Soaring did 812 tows in 2011.
Thanks - Renny