FAA Investigates American Flyers

Old November 5th 03, 09:55 PM
'Vejita' S. Cousin

In article ,
When Debit cards came out a few years back, many merchants were charging
about 25 cents for DEBIT transactions until it was widely pointed out that a
debit transaction cost much less (one cent) than processing a paper check.

The AM/PM gas stations (ARCO) around here kept the practice in place for
about two years after the other merchants went to doing it free. I stopped
going to those stations and don't know if they STILL do it.

I've always wondered why I can use my debit card w/o a service charge
any place EXCEPT a bank I can even get cash back, but there's no extra
fee. But if I go to a cash machine...
Old November 5th 03, 11:17 PM
Kevin McCue

Compass Bank in AZ will rebate any bank's ATM fees.

--
Kevin McCue
KRYN

Old November 6th 03, 01:45 AM
Doug

Although I understand your frustration, I would throw in the towel and
get with the credit cards. Cash is going to be obsolete and so are
checks. Credit card and wire transfer are going to be King. It's just
the way it is, more convenient, faster for everyone. Your customer
loves them. It's what is happening.

"Kevin McCue" wrote in message ...
There was just a class action settlement on check/debit cards. The
merchants "won" (acutally the lawyers got money) the merchants can now stop
taking those Visa/Mastercard debit/check cards. ARCO stations get around it
by not taking credit cards at all. They have ATM's where you can get cash to
feed the pumps.
As for my business, we take cards. When asked if we take credit cards,
our response is, "We prefer cash or check." I have made a few sales that
entered "negotiations" (aka Let's make a deal). When I have given a
discounted price I have insisted on cash or check. I'm sure you all like to
get paid 100% of what you have worked for, Merchants are no exception.

--
Kevin McCue
KRYN

Old November 6th 03, 02:08 AM
Wizard of Draws

Doug wrote:

Although I understand your frustration, I would throw in the towel and
get with the credit cards. Cash is going to be obsolete and so are
checks. Credit card and wire transfer are going to be King. It's just
the way it is, more convenient, faster for everyone. Your customer
loves them. It's what is happening.

Just like that 'paperless office' we keep hearing about, while
simultaneously being buried under an ever increasing avalanche of it?
Pardon the pun, but I don't buy it. g
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

"Cartoons with a Touch of Magic"
http://www.wizardofdraws.com
http://www.cartoonclipart.com
Old November 6th 03, 09:29 AM
Tom S.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
. ..

"Newps" wrote in message

Must be an eastern thing, never heard of that.

Actually, it's an "internet bank" thing. Since these have no brick and

mortar branches (and
hence ATM's), they will generally credit you the charges back for whatever

ones you do use.

Considering it costs about $100K for each ATM, plus periodic maintenance,
it's great business sense for the eBanks to use competitors machines (which
are in place, at great cost) and just refund the fees the ATM owner charges.
Their customers would have to use EACH SINGLE ATM machine 30,000 to 50,000
times to cover the cost of having their own.

Old November 6th 03, 09:31 AM
Tom S.

"'Vejita' S. Cousin" wrote in message
In article ,
When Debit cards came out a few years back, many merchants were charging
about 25 cents for DEBIT transactions until it was widely pointed out

that a
debit transaction cost much less (one cent) than processing a paper

check.

The AM/PM gas stations (ARCO) around here kept the practice in place for
about two years after the other merchants went to doing it free. I

stopped
going to those stations and don't know if they STILL do it.

I've always wondered why I can use my debit card w/o a service charge
any place EXCEPT a bank I can even get cash back, but there's no extra
fee. But if I go to a cash machine...

Because the machines in place at merchants are paid for _by the merchant_.
The ATM machines you use from a competitor bank cost the competitor bank
around $100,000 to install and setup.

Old November 6th 03, 09:32 AM
Tom S.

"Kevin McCue" wrote in message
Compass Bank in AZ will rebate any bank's ATM fees.

Because they own no machines outside their own locations (typically
Albertson's food stores).

Old November 6th 03, 02:54 PM
Captain Wubba

"Newps" wrote in message

Must be an eastern thing, never heard of that.

Actually, it's an "internet bank" thing. Since these have no brick and

mortar branches (and
hence ATM's), they will generally credit you the charges back for whatever

ones you do use.

Considering it costs about $100K for each ATM, plus periodic maintenance,
it's great business sense for the eBanks to use competitors machines (which
are in place, at great cost) and just refund the fees the ATM owner charges.
Their customers would have to use EACH SINGLE ATM machine 30,000 to 50,000
times to cover the cost of having their own.

Just a minor correction. It costs nowhere *near* $100,000 for an ATM.
Cash dispensers can cost as little as $10,000, while good full-service
ATMs can be had for $25,000. We just installed a new drive-through ATM
at one of our branches. Total costs for the ATM + installation came to
under $32,000. The ongoing costs are significant, but certainly not
outrageous. The breakeven numbers for cash dispensers in particular
are very low indeed.

Cheers,

Cap
Old November 6th 03, 03:25 PM
Ron Natalie

"Tom S." wrote in message ...

Considering it costs about $100K for each ATM, plus periodic maintenance,
it's great business sense for the eBanks to use competitors machines (which
are in place, at great cost) and just refund the fees the ATM owner charges.
Their customers would have to use EACH SINGLE ATM machine 30,000 to 50,000
times to cover the cost of having their own.

The cost would also involve finding someplace to put it. Perhaps with some national
aliance with some place like 7-11 or Exxon stations could do it, but otherwise they'd
have to real scramble to arrange with people to allow them to install these things.

By the way, I only paid $20 for my ATM, and I think I bid too high.

Old November 6th 03, 04:52 PM

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Doug wrote:

Although I understand your frustration, I would throw in the towel and
get with the credit cards. Cash is going to be obsolete and so are
checks. Credit card and wire transfer are going to be King. It's just
the way it is, more convenient, faster for everyone. Your customer loves
them. It's what is happening.

Maybe customers wouldn't love them as much if they knew how much they add
to the cost of their purchase. Credit card sales cost merchants a lot
more than most people realize. Of course, that comes out of the
merchant's pocket... but where do you think the merchant's money comes
from? All in all, cash is a much better deal for both customer &
merchant; the only ones who win when a credit card is used are those in
the business of issuing credit cards or processing transactions.

-Dan