FAA Investigates American Flyers

Old November 6th 03, 05:47 PM
Peter Gottlieb

wrote in message
rg...
On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Doug wrote:

Maybe customers wouldn't love them as much if they knew how much they add
to the cost of their purchase. Credit card sales cost merchants a lot
more than most people realize. Of course, that comes out of the
merchant's pocket... but where do you think the merchant's money comes
from? All in all, cash is a much better deal for both customer &
merchant; the only ones who win when a credit card is used are those in
the business of issuing credit cards or processing transactions.

On significant purchases where I am going to use a credit card I ask if cash
would be preferrable and in 99.9% of the cases merchants say they prefer the
card.

Old November 6th 03, 08:40 PM
Tom S.

"Captain Wubba" wrote in message
om...
Considering it costs about $100K for each ATM, plus periodic

maintenance,
it's great business sense for the eBanks to use competitors machines

(which
are in place, at great cost) and just refund the fees the ATM owner

charges.
Their customers would have to use EACH SINGLE ATM machine 30,000 to

50,000
times to cover the cost of having their own.

Just a minor correction. It costs nowhere *near* $100,000 for an ATM.
Cash dispensers can cost as little as $10,000, while good full-service
ATMs can be had for $25,000.

Sorry...I was using early 1990's numbers. I'm sure the price has declined
since much of the early costs were often for the secure network which is now
ubiquitous.

Old November 6th 03, 08:42 PM
Tom S.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

"Tom S." wrote in message

Considering it costs about $100K for each ATM, plus periodic

maintenance,
it's great business sense for the eBanks to use competitors machines

(which
are in place, at great cost) and just refund the fees the ATM owner

charges.
Their customers would have to use EACH SINGLE ATM machine 30,000 to

50,000
times to cover the cost of having their own.

The cost would also involve finding someplace to put it. Perhaps with

some national
aliance with some place like 7-11 or Exxon stations could do it, but

otherwise they'd
have to real scramble to arrange with people to allow them to install

these things.

By the way, I only paid $20 for my ATM, and I think I bid too high.

Does it burn your fingers?

Old November 6th 03, 09:08 PM
Ron Natalie

"Tom S." wrote in message ...

By the way, I only paid $20 for my ATM, and I think I bid too high.

Does it burn your fingers?

Nope, I obtained it legitmately. I picked it up at an RTC auction along with a
whole pile of office furniture.

Old November 6th 03, 09:53 PM
Peter Gottlieb

"Tom S." wrote in message

By the way, I only paid $20 for my ATM, and I think I bid too high.

Does it burn your fingers?

Nope, I obtained it legitmately. I picked it up at an RTC auction along

with a
whole pile of office furniture.

The real cost is in moving it.

Old November 6th 03, 10:05 PM
Ron Natalie

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message news

The real cost is in moving it.

It had wheels. It wasn't anywhere near as heavy as the desk/credenza set I also
bought.

Old November 6th 03, 10:38 PM
Ron Natalie

"PaulaJay1" wrote in message ...

Not true, Dan. I charge on my my credit card and my wife pays the bills. G
Seriously, It is a lot easier to contest a purchase if you have not yet payed
for it. You can contest a charge and go into arbitration.

You can contest a credit card charge even if you have paid for it. I've contested
a handful over the years and have never had to go into arbitration yet. The worst
I've had to do was sign an affidavit saying that the charge was erroneous.

Old November 6th 03, 10:39 PM
Peter Duniho

wrote in message
rg...
Maybe customers wouldn't love them as much if they knew how much they add
to the cost of their purchase.

By "customers", you mean the same idiots that feed anywhere from $1.50 to
$3.00 or more to banks just for the privilege of saving those banks money?

Right. As if those customers really care.

That assumes, of course, that allowing credit cards is actually a net loss
for the merchant. Not a foregone conclusion at all, since many factors are
improved when a merchant allows credit cards, including reduced fraud and
more sales.

Pete

Old November 6th 03, 10:50 PM
Roy Smith

"Ron Natalie" wrote:
You can contest a credit card charge even if you have paid for it.
I've contested a handful over the years and have never had to go into
arbitration yet. The worst I've had to do was sign an affidavit
saying that the charge was erroneous.

In many ways, the credit card companies are kinder to consumers than the
credit laws require them to be. They knowingly eat a certain amount of
loss because it makes good business sense. The loss is less than the
bad will it would generate if they didn't, not to mention the
administrative cost of haggling over it. They just factor it into the
cost of doing business.