Depression after Washing

Old June 27th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Charles Talleyrand

Default Depression after Washing

My kid and I just washed the plane. Even after washing it, there are
still chips of paint missing, a bit of rust, a drip-stain of fuel, and
so on. The panel looks like it has been modified every once in a
while since 1966. My plane is relatively nice compared to the other
ones on the field, but it's still in worse cosmetic condition than my
car.

None of these problems is a safety issue, and none of them could be
fixed without spending significant time and/or money.

One of the reasons we own airplanes is pride of ownership.

This makes me sad. Makes me want to sell and rent.
Old June 27th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Bob Fry

"CT" == Charles Talleyrand writes:

CT This makes me sad. Makes me want to sell and rent.

Hold that emotion. Sell, and build new. In the experimental category
you get far more modern and cheaper goods and replace them anytime you
want.
--
The fascist state is the corporate state.
~ Benito Mussolini
Old June 27th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote:

This makes me sad. Makes me want to sell and rent.

Don't.

Renting is far more depressing,.

Fly and be proud1

--
Dan

T182T at 4R4

Old June 27th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
news

Renting is far more depressing,.

Yes, but the depression only lasts for a short while. When I leave the
airplane, and all the problems and expenses of ownership, sitting on the ramp, I
always leave with a happy smile on my face. Renting rocks!

Vaughn

Old June 27th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
GMOD10X

Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Dan Luke" wrote in message
news
Renting is far more depressing,.

Yes, but the depression only lasts for a short while. When I leave the
airplane, and all the problems and expenses of ownership, sitting on the ramp, I
always leave with a happy smile on my face. Renting rocks!

Vaughn

In this day and age of high cost's and excessive liability
renting is becoming more economical and practical than owning

Old June 27th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message
My kid and I just washed the plane. Even after washing it, there are
still chips of paint missing, a bit of rust, a drip-stain of fuel, and
so on. The panel looks like it has been modified every once in a
while since 1966. My plane is relatively nice compared to the other
ones on the field, but it's still in worse cosmetic condition than my
car.

None of these problems is a safety issue, and none of them could be
fixed without spending significant time and/or money.

One of the reasons we own airplanes is pride of ownership.

This makes me sad. Makes me want to sell and rent.

It's possible to restore old paint. You'd be surprised what you can polish
out. Older planes were actually painted with very high quality paint that
can be restored. Chips can be polished and filled with paint. There's not
much you can do with rust spots other than remove it and have the paint
matched, but it should at least be tended to before it gets worse. You can
either have all that done professionally or you can do it yourself. The
following web site would be a great place to start:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/

Old June 27th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Maxwell[_2_]

"GMOD10X" wrote in message
Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Dan Luke" wrote in message
news
Renting is far more depressing,.

Yes, but the depression only lasts for a short while. When I leave
the airplane, and all the problems and expenses of ownership, sitting on
the ramp, I always leave with a happy smile on my face. Renting rocks!

Vaughn

In this day and age of high cost's and excessive liability renting is
becoming more economical and practical than owning

Considering the average persons circumstances, and an honest accounting for
both a persons time and money, renting is the only way to go. Not to
mention, you can select 2 place, 4 place, high and fast, low and slow,
aerobatic, etc - every time you pick up the phone.

Old June 27th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

"GMOD10X" wrote in message
Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Dan Luke" wrote in message
news
Renting is far more depressing,.

Yes, but the depression only lasts for a short while. When I leave
the airplane, and all the problems and expenses of ownership, sitting on
the ramp, I always leave with a happy smile on my face. Renting rocks!

Vaughn

In this day and age of high cost's and excessive liability renting is
becoming more economical and practical than owning

It depends on how much you fly.

Renting sucks. Squawks that never get fixed (even those that are safety
issues). Availability. Minimum hour charges that make it practically
impossible to take a vacation for more than a weekend. People who bitch if
you bring the plane back 5 minutes late. Many FBOs are now requiring
renter's insurance which means YOU carry the liability, and even if they
don't require it you'd better have it because for any damage to the plane
they are going to come after you. On and on it goes.

If you only go out for a $100 hamburger once a month, renting is probably a
great option. However if you do more than 100 hrs per year, you should at
least consider partnership or club options.

Old June 27th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Maxwell[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Except for you, of course, since noone in their right mind would let oyu
have an airplane solo...

Bertie

And how would you know liar boi?

Old June 27th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:42:04 -0400, GMOD10X wrote
in :

Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Dan Luke" wrote in message
news
Renting is far more depressing,.

Yes, but the depression only lasts for a short while. When I leave the
airplane, and all the problems and expenses of ownership, sitting on the ramp, I
always leave with a happy smile on my face. Renting rocks!

Vaughn

In this day and age of high cost's and excessive liability
renting is becoming more economical and practical than owning

Not so. Sharing a plane among three or four pilot/owners makes it
affordable and fun.