Soaring Simulator

Old September 29th 08, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Allinson

Default Soaring Simulator

I seem to remember there was a lengthy discussion here about PC soaring
simulators but I've not been able to find it again. Does anyone know
whether there was a concensus on which simulator was most realistic? I
seem to remember Condor and Silent Wings being discussed.

Old September 29th 08, 08:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Sep 29, 12:32*am, (Robert Allinson)
wrote:
I seem to remember there was a lengthy discussion here about PC soaring
simulators but I've not been able to find it again. Does anyone know
whether there was a concensus on which simulator was most realistic? I
seem to remember Condor and Silent Wings being discussed.

Robert -

Silent Wings may be "prettier", but Condor is the better simulator...
hands-down!

http://www.condorsoaring.com/

(And no, I am not affiliated with them in any way - but I've flown a
LOT of simulators in my time and I credit Condor with helping me learn
thermalling technique and cross-country soaring MUCH better than I
ever could have on my own)

--Noel

Old September 29th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Robert,

I've heard good things about both products. But Condor seems to be more
popular in the USA. I sell Condor he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/condor.htm

I support it as well.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

et...

Old September 29th 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alistair Wright

"Robert Allinson" wrote in message
et...
I seem to remember there was a lengthy discussion here about PC soaring
simulators but I've not been able to find it again. Does anyone know
whether there was a concensus on which simulator was most realistic? I
seem to remember Condor and Silent Wings being discussed.

Condor is easily the best. Nearly 6000 users on the forum, lots of advice,
dozens of RL pilots to help you fly better, great on-line competitions,
loads of add-on scenery. You can fly on or off line at your discretion, make
up your own tasks, and join the world ranking list. The only downer is the
non admissability of third party planes. This is to stop cheaters producing
gliders with fanciful polars and screwing up the comps. I'm a retired RL
instructor. I advise all new entrants to the hobby to get this simulator.
Upgrades to V1.12 are free, as is most add-on scenery. Version 2 is
supposedly coming along, but not any time soon I think, so I'd join now. You
do need a reasonably good computer and a top class joystick to get the best
out of it though.

Alistair Wright
Scotland

Old September 29th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

supposedly coming along, but not any time soon I think, so I'd join now. You
do need a reasonably good computer and a top class joystick to get the best
out of it though.

Alistair Wright

Just a follow-up to Alistair's comment:

You don't need a fancy joystick, just a good quality one. Its easy to
go overboard with fancy controls; but you only need a few buttons (and
I recommend a joystick with a "throttle" that you can use for spoiler
control). Rudder pedals are a big help and a much better solution
than a "twist" joystick - but they do tend to be a bit expensive ($100
- $200 in the USA).

As with any realistic simulator, it takes time to set up and tune
things. Its not a game, so don't expect to just "jump in" and play.
Your first few flights you will need to get a feel for the controls
and you may need to adjust various settings to make it work well for
you (starting "in-air" instead of on a tow can help with this process
- as winch launches and aero-tows require good controls). Your
joystick may be overly sensitive, or your graphics card may require
the detail to be turned down. Don't get discouraged if the sim
doesn't feel "right" the first few times you use it - make adjustments
to the graphics and controls as-needed so that the aircraft becomes
more controllable.

Also, Condor is a very comprehensive tool for both learning and flying
assigned tasks/competitions. There are a TON of options and screens
you can poke around in. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed the first
couple of times you load it up - just take things a little piece at a
time. Its actually very straightforward once you've used the program
a few times.

Enjoy!

--Noel

Old September 29th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alistair Wright

"noel.wade" wrote in message

[...]

Excellent advice. The joystick of choice has to be the Microsoft Force
Feedback 2 if you can find one. They sometimes come up on ebay but don't
expect a bargain price! Force feedback will make your flying a lot more
realistic.

Alistair

Old September 29th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Excellent advice. The joystick of choice has to be the Microsoft Force
Feedback 2 if you can find one. They sometimes come up on ebay but don't
expect a bargain price! Force feedback will make your flying a lot more
realistic.

If you've got the budget, an MS FF2 stick is great. But I'd rather
see someone spend the exta $$ on rudder pedals, if they're not looking
to blow the bank.

--Noel
(former computer-game developer) :-)

Old October 1st 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank[_1_]

On Sep 29, 3:32*am, (Robert Allinson)
wrote:
I seem to remember there was a lengthy discussion here about PC soaring
simulators but I've not been able to find it again. Does anyone know
whether there was a concensus on which simulator was most realistic? I
seem to remember Condor and Silent Wings being discussed.

And check out the "Monday Night Soaring" Condor races (http://
www.gliderracing.com/pub/) , held every Monday evening at 7 & 10 pm
Eastern time. Anyone can participate, and it's free.
Old October 1st 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Martin[_2_]

Several UK clubs have now attached a complete glider fuselage to the
simulator programme and have all the controls set up as for a real glider
using Silent Wings.

At my own club we have a Janus cockpit in a dedicated room with the
programme being projected onto three screens. Although there is no motion
platform the simulator can be used to good effect for basic effects of
controls and the students can be taught a number of exercises without
flying. It does not take long to get the feeling of movement and aftre a
lengthy session students come out feeling as though they have flown

With the lousy UK summer it has proved a good investment

Dave

Old October 1st 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Frank,

Which region would apply to the USA. It is not clear on the web site.

Thanks,

Paul Remde