Any experimental designs without rudder pedals?

Old October 23rd 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

Default Any experimental designs without rudder pedals?

Are there any experimental/homebuilt designs that are roughly analogous to
the Ercoupe in not needing rudder pedals? I haven't run across any, but
that probably just means I'm not doing a good search job.

Old October 24th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
Are there any experimental/homebuilt designs that are roughly analogous to
the Ercoupe in not needing rudder pedals? I haven't run across any, but
that probably just means I'm not doing a good search job.

(OK, somebody's gotta ask) What do you have against rudder pedals?

Are you aware that rudder pedals were a factory option for the Ercoupe and one
of the more common mods?

Vaughn

Old October 24th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Dear Jim,

As best I can recall, one of the Flying Car designs at Rockford had
the ailerons coupled to the rudder. But that's from the archive
between my ears. (Twin-boom configuration? )

-R.S.Hoover

Old October 24th 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

"Vaughn Simon" wrote:
"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
Are there any experimental/homebuilt designs that are roughly
analogous to the Ercoupe in not needing rudder pedals? I haven't run
across any, but that probably just means I'm not doing a good search
job.

(OK, somebody's gotta ask) What do you have against rudder pedals?

They make terrible places to rest my feet. ;-)

I bet you're one of them rudder pedal-philes! :-)

Are you aware that rudder pedals were a factory option for the Ercoupe
and one of the more common mods?

I know that some Ercoupes were sold with rudder pedals. That bit of
knowledge doesn't help me much in my quest, though.
Old October 24th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Jim Logajan wrote:
Are there any experimental/homebuilt designs that are roughly analogous to
the Ercoupe in not needing rudder pedals? I haven't run across any, but
that probably just means I'm not doing a good search job.

Flying Flea.

Althought the one I played with had a gas pedal.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Old October 24th 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Henry[_2_]

I believe the Sky Arrow was designed to be operated without rudder
pedals, but it seems the latest incarnations of the design have gone for
the more "traditional" controls.

It might be worth asking the manufacturer if it is still possible to
build the version without rudder pedals.

The American distributor seems to have dropped off the web:

http://www.skyarrowusa.com/

Here are some articles:

http://www.skyarrow.co.uk/flighttest.htm

http://www.aviatormag.com.au/stories...Sky_Arrow.html

I just found this in an old avweb report:

"The Disabled Pilot Option has been available on other models of the Sky
Arrow, and will now be available for the LSA. The option allows pilots
who cannot operate the rudder pedals with their feet to apply yaw input
with a left side-stick that also includes a throttle control. The
standard, right side-stick controls pitch and bank, and also has buttons
for electric rudder and elevator trim as well as radio push to talk. As
always, the brake levers are controlled by the right hand. The left side
stick can be quickly removed for easy entry, and also makes the rudder
pedals available to able-bodied pilots."
Old October 24th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

cavelamb himself wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
Are there any experimental/homebuilt designs that are roughly
analogous to the Ercoupe in not needing rudder pedals? I haven't run
across any, but that probably just means I'm not doing a good search
job.

Flying Flea.

Althought the one I played with had a gas pedal.

Thanks! Looks to be an interesting design. Found many online resources,
including these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Flea
http://www.flyingflea.org/
http://www.valkyrie.net/~flyingflea/
Old October 24th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Oct 23, 4:34*pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
Are there any experimental/homebuilt designs that are roughly analogous to
the Ercoupe in not needing rudder pedals? I haven't run across any, but
that probably just means I'm not doing a good search job.

Spratt Controlwing. But it's not really analogous to the Ercoupe.

http://www.georgespratt.org/docs/Con...FlyingBoat.htm

Dan
Old October 24th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

Michael Henry wrote:
I believe the Sky Arrow was designed to be operated without rudder
pedals, but it seems the latest incarnations of the design have gone for
the more "traditional" controls.

It might be worth asking the manufacturer if it is still possible to
build the version without rudder pedals.

Thanks - I'll look into it. Although none of the references mention the
earlier pedal-less design, the descriptions do seem to paint it as a fine
aircraft. Interesting to see that the wikipedia page
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3I_Sky_Arrow) includes a link to this page:

http://www.atdd.noaa.gov/skyarrow.htm
Old October 24th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

wrote:
On Oct 23, 4:34*pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
Are there any experimental/homebuilt designs that are roughly
analogous to
the Ercoupe in not needing rudder pedals? I haven't run across any,
but that probably just means I'm not doing a good search job.

Spratt Controlwing. But it's not really analogous to the Ercoupe.

http://www.georgespratt.org/docs/Con...FlyingBoat.htm

Thanks - much appreciated! Just to be clear - the aspect that interests me
are experimental amateur built designs that attempt to "simplify" aircraft
controls. So the Spratt design is the sort of design I'm interested in
learning about.