Spot Landings

Old November 5th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

Default Spot Landings

Can you land to a spot within 100' of the designated spot without
power? If not you should do some serious practice or get some good
training until you can. What happened to the old time spot landing
contests that were taking place regularly on weekends?
It appears that Pilot Proficiency has gone down the tubes in favor of
technology.
Old November 5th 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2008-11-05 06:31:18 -0800, "Ol Shy & Bashful" said:

Can you land to a spot within 100' of the designated spot without
power? If not you should do some serious practice or get some good
training until you can. What happened to the old time spot landing
contests that were taking place regularly on weekends?
It appears that Pilot Proficiency has gone down the tubes in favor of
technology.

They are still required for the commercial pilot ticket. It is still my
favorite part of training commercial pilots. It gets a little, you
know, competitive... :-)

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old November 5th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Birdog

"jeremy" wrote in message
Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
Can you land to a spot within 100' of the designated spot without
power?

Always possible but the damage/precision ratio can make it lots of fun.

JJ

A little tale on myself. In the early days - late 40's/ early 50's - we flew
out of a short grass strip with not much buffer if you crossed the threshold
a little high. So you always aimed at the "numbers". After a long winter
when most hops were just for proficiency purposes, I had occasion to cross
country, landing at Blacksburg, Va. Came over the fence about 50/60 feet
high and did a go-around - with about 7000 feet of runway in front of me. No
one said anything when I got down, but I had a comment ready - "Just
shooting an approach". Old habits hard to break!

Old November 5th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Nov 5, 6:31*am, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
Can you land to a spot within 100' of the designated spot without
power? If not you should do some serious practice or get some good
training until you can. What happened to the old time spot landing
contests that were taking place regularly on weekends?
It appears that Pilot Proficiency has gone down the tubes in favor of
technology.

Where is this coming from? Is this what this group has degraded to?
All we get is spam, MX, and posts about hypothetical situations. Am I
the only one here still flying a real airplane?

-Robert, CFII
Old November 5th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Nov 5, 6:31Â*am, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
Can you land to a spot within 100' of the designated spot without
power? If not you should do some serious practice or get some good
training until you can. What happened to the old time spot landing
contests that were taking place regularly on weekends?
It appears that Pilot Proficiency has gone down the tubes in favor of
technology.

Where is this coming from? Is this what this group has degraded to?
All we get is spam, MX, and posts about hypothetical situations. Am I
the only one here still flying a real airplane?

-Robert, CFII

Probably from watching the activities at a typical GA airport with a
runway that is much less than 10,000 feet and seeing people float halfway
down the runway then come to a screeching halt to avoid running off the
end.

I see it happening all the time.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old November 5th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Nov 5, 1:15*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Nov 5, 6:31*am, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:

Can you land to a spot within 100' of the designated spot without
power? If not you should do some serious practice or get some good
training until you can. What happened to the old time spot landing
contests that were taking place regularly on weekends?
It appears that Pilot Proficiency has gone down the tubes in favor of
technology.

Where is this coming from? Is this what this group has degraded to?
All we get is spam, MX, and posts about hypothetical situations. Am I
the only one here still flying a real airplane?

-Robert, CFII

Robert
Get over yourself! Lets regale everyone about flying 20' over the
water and 200' in a J-3. What does that have to do with improving
anything here? What is your definition of a "real airplane"? You just
having a bad day?
Old November 5th 08, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

C J Campbell wrote in

On 2008-11-05 06:31:18 -0800, "Ol Shy & Bashful"
said:

Can you land to a spot within 100' of the designated spot without
power? If not you should do some serious practice or get some good
training until you can. What happened to the old time spot landing
contests that were taking place regularly on weekends?
It appears that Pilot Proficiency has gone down the tubes in favor of
technology.

They are still required for the commercial pilot ticket.

Without power?

Bertie
Old November 5th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
Can you land to a spot within 100' of the designated spot without
power? If not you should do some serious practice or get some good
training until you can. What happened to the old time spot landing
contests that were taking place regularly on weekends?
It appears that Pilot Proficiency has gone down the tubes in favor of
technology.

Now? Prob'ly not - I'm way too rusty. Back when I was active? Sheeit yes.
Piece of cake. 'course I was flying a taildragger which makes it real easy
if you don't mind doing wheelies.

Dunno that this is anything new. 30+ years ago, I used hand out at the
airport and watch the local flight school Cherokees floating down to at
least midfield again and again.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

SPOT on Tuno Soaring 0 May 15th 08 09:36 PM
See SPOT run... [email protected] Soaring 11 April 30th 08 08:57 PM
SPOT GPS jeplane Soaring 17 February 5th 08 06:23 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato General Aviation 0 February 5th 08 02:04 AM
Night landings vs. day landings Gerald Sylvester Piloting 15 February 12th 04 07:38 AM