Stop the noise

Old March 24th 04, 06:05 PM
Jay Honeck

I rather doubt that AOPA;'s contribution was large enough for them to
want to buy back the airplanes. I don't know if Boston lawyers bill
$400 an hour, but I am sure they earn more an hour than I do in a day.

As always, only the lawyers win.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 24th 04, 07:39 PM
Andrew Gideon

Jay Honeck wrote:

I rather doubt that AOPA;'s contribution was large enough for them to
want to buy back the airplanes. I don't know if Boston lawyers bill
$400 an hour, but I am sure they earn more an hour than I do in a day.

As always, only the lawyers win.

I see AOPA making claims about contributions that aren't enough to help the
pilots keep their planes. In other words, in a twisted way, AOPA is
getting something (for very little) out of this too.

So what does "a substantial contribution" mean if the pilots are having this
much trouble with what is left of the bill? Why not simply provide the
legal staff free of charge? AOPA does have lawyers on staff, no?

- Andrew

Old March 24th 04, 08:03 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

As always, only the lawyers win.

Yeah, there's a reason this group is headed by an attorney. He's probably getting
a kickback somewhere.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.
Old March 24th 04, 08:33 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Jay Honeck wrote:

As always, only the lawyers win.

Yeah, there's a reason this group is headed by an attorney. He's probably

getting
a kickback somewhere.

Lawyers write all the rules of engagement, they have a legal monopoly (ABA)
and a virtual monopoly in the legislatures -- did you think they'd set it up
any other way?

--
"Flying an airplane is just like riding
a bike -- it's just a lot harder to put

Old March 24th 04, 11:21 PM
Jay Beckman

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

I've heard they've tried it twice. Don't know if the offered "fair market
value, though), but the worst offenders are sports stadiums. In Phoenix,
when they were getting ready to build BankOne Ballpark for the

Diamondbacks
it came close to a violent confrontation with the police but local
protesters.

Tom,

While it's true that stadia developers are often the most egregious, the
little guy does prevail from time to time. Even in AZ!

Witness this case from Mesa, AZ...

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...Baileys02.html

Regards,

Jay Beckman
Student Pilot - KCHD
7.4 Hrs ... Nowhere to go but up!

Old March 28th 04, 05:33 AM
QDurham

Buchanan Fiel;d, Concord CA. Used for p38s etc in WWII. People living in
mobile homes near airport long after airport was built, constantly bitching
about noise. One such reported that the" 9:15" (or somesuch) PSA flight was so
low it knocked off his TV antenna. Complainer was informed that due to other
considerations, PSA's 9:15 flight was cancelled and unable to eat anybody's
antenna. About 12 people made up about 95% of the complaintrs.

Eventually it was pointed out to the complainers that their public
announcements (in county board meetings) that the noise from the planes made
their "homes unliveable" was information that, under California law, must be
disclosed to any potential buyers of the homes.

Sudden dead silence. Bitchers quietly crawled back under their rocks.

Worked.

Quent
Old March 28th 04, 06:24 AM
SeeAndAvoid

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote
The problem there is that they have formed an organization, and it is the

org
that is sueing these pilots. You don't have grounds for a countersuit

unless this
one is settled in favor of the pilots. After that occurs, they'll disolve

the
organization, and you won't have anyone to sue.

Actually the complaint was not filed by the organization, but by
individuals, it can be seen at
http://www.stopthenoise.org/docs/COMPLAINT.ammended.pdf

Plaintiffs:
Robert F. Casey, Jr. 92 Washington Street, Ayer, Massachusetts. This
presumably is the lawyer that someone said is donating his time, but is also
a Plaintiff.
Rita A. Casey, 92 Washington Street, Ayer, Massachusetts
David McCoy, 187 Old Groton Road, Ayer, Massachusetts
Amy McCoy, 187 Old Groton Road, Ayer, Massachusetts
Gerard Hall, 34 Lovett Lane, Chelmsford, Massachusetts.
Beverly Smith, 435 Old Ayer Road, Groton, Massachusetts
The STN site is pretty low tech and a bunch of rambling nonsense. I like
this quote "FAA is an organization of General Aviation pilots tasked with
policing, among other things, General Aviation". Really?
And "It is not our intent to shut down General Aviation", yet a couple
months
ago, this same guy, Bill Burgoyne, said "There is no reason people need to
have them (small airplanes) for transportation as private vehicles"
article at
http://www.generalaviationnews.com/e...olumn&-nothing

Another website, that is a little more professionally done and more
objective is
http://www.planesenseofgroton.org/
although they are publicly posting N-numbers of airplanes that offend them.
Is
that legal?

And if you want to see the height of anti aviation fascism, check out
http://pages.prodigy.net/rockaway/newsletter229.htm
Anyone else seen this garbage? These people have way too much time on
their hands.

And http://www.us-caw.org/ US Citizens Aviation Watch. Check the link for
Monitored Airports, see if you're being watched.

I know I'm not alone in these groups that this is all very disturbing.
Especially if you are operating legally within the regs and being threatened
in one way or another. I was once, ONCE. (Johnny Dangerously reference).
Time to take the
fight back to them.
Chris

Old March 28th 04, 06:54 AM
Jessie Carlson

Jeremy Lew wrote:

I'm not defending the way these people are dealing with their issues, but
the pratice area for the KBED-based flight school which is involved in these
suits is 15-20 NM away from the airport. If that's "near", then it's
practically impossible to live in eastern Massachusetts without being near
three or four airports. It would be entirely unreasonable for prospective
house buyers to consider that small plane noise might be a problem in this
area.

If anyone is interested, the practice area in question is NW of KBED, N of
the Ft. Devens MOA.

Yes the ironic thing is that the Fort Devens airfield (Moore Army Airfield,
KAYE) would have made a lovely airport, especially for cargo operations, with
excellent adjacent Rail and Freeway connections. The locals made sure this
never happened when the Army Base closed.

So now we have two large runways with X's all over them. (State police use one
of the former runways for high speed driving training).

With Moore field closed, the local airspace is available for a training area.

Old March 28th 04, 06:53 PM
Kevin

John Doe wrote:
On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 05:24:25 GMT, "SeeAndAvoid"
wrote:

I know I'm not alone in these groups that this is all very disturbing.
Especially if you are operating legally within the regs and being threatened
in one way or another. I was once, ONCE. (Johnny Dangerously reference).
Time to take the
fight back to them.

Then you shall have one, Chris.

This is precisely the problem.

Allow me to introduce myself. I am an American homeowner who is considering
establishing a Stop-the-Noise chapter with my local community.

I have always had a live-and-let-live attitude towards aviation. More than
that, I have always enjoyed watching it. I am an ex-Air Force zoomie.

The issue is that flying "legally" does not make flying in a certain manner
"right". One can fly with a bad attitude, perhaps with callous disregard
for other pilots in the sky and those on the ground, comply with the letter
of the FARs and yet be in the wrong. How about the guy that cuts in front of
you on a "short final", forcing a go around? Life is full of situations
where one's conduct or morals are wrong, yet that person is not technically
breaking any laws.

I have observed and even beeen personally victimized by pilots choosing to
fly inverted over my home at altitudes less than 1,000' AGL, pilots diving at
my neighbor's horse pasture in a Pitts in an apparent effort to "run" the
animals (and once costing them $500 dollars in vet bills after an animal
tangled in a fence, badly cutting itself).

There are those few pilots that treat community noise abatement procedures
as a personal affront or insult so they full-atttack the prop and mash in
the throttle over subdivisions. Yes, perfectly legal in most cases. The PIC
is responsible for safe takeoff procedures; who would question someone's
motives?

You know who you are.

I have a busy life and demanding career. I have never wanted to involve
myself in a ****ing contest with the local aviation community. I have bent
over backwards to aviod lodging complaints with the local FSDO. Instead, I
have recorded and reported instances of flagrant lawbreaking and
irresponsible conduct by aerobatic pilots to AOPA and EAA, simply asking
that efforts be made to unofficially contact these individuals and ask them
to respect the laws and the public.
Yet I've never received the courtesy of a response from either organization.
That's been my reward for trying to collaboratively resolve a problem in a
gentlemanly manner.

Like anyone else, I bought my house with the expectation that I could freely
excercise my constitutional right to peaceably use my property. I recognize
that this is the 21st century, noise happens, and I don't have an issue with
95% of general aviation aircraft or their pilots. Aerobatics practice boxes
don't appear on the terminal or sectional maps, nor does the FAA or flying
club have to notify the public about same. That's wrong.

I also have no sympathy for someone moving next to an airport
then complaining about the noise.

As I said, noise happens. But everyone has a limit. How many hours of
aerobatics in some of the loudest light aircraft on the planet should a
person on the ground have to tolerate? An hour every day? Ten hours of
almost incessant window-rattling every nice weekend? Let's establish a
consensus.. Where's the dividing line between a whining, thin-skinned psycho
complainer and someone with a legitimate gripe?

Does anyone here have a neighbor with an incessantly-barking dog? How about
their kids parked in the drive next door with a 1,000-watt stereo in a
Honda? When do the normal intrusions of a modern society cross the line?

The line is definitely crossed when the neighbor gets a second, and larger
barking dog and when their kids amp it up in response to your polite
complaints.

So that's the way it is. When a single high-performance aircraft can rattle
windows over a 25 square mile area, day in and out, and the pilots refuse to
consider any sort of mitigation, or even step it up in response to a request
for a dialogue. Why should they? They're flying "legal".

That's when organizations like Stop-the-Noise happen and grow. Ordinary
people with legitimate gripes that are being ignored and dismissed.
Regrettably, they will attract their share of obscessive anti-aviation
kooks, but it's important to note why outfits like STN have happened. --
Because of the legitimate reasons that I describe above.

I enjoy running my tricked-out 1968 Chevelle SS-396. I've had it since I was
22 years old and lost my driver's license in those days driving it. It
shouldn't be my neighbor's problem that it costs me $25 bucks in gas to go
to the nearest oval track on a nice weekend instead of opening the headers
and running it every night by their homes. The same standards of cooperation
and sensibility should apply to the avocation of aerobatic flight, as well.

Pilots are an elite fraternity, they should be better citizens than a punk
with a thousand-watt stereo in his car.

This is an open plea to the aviation community to ignore the kooks and
accept responsibility concerning the over-the-top impact that some of their
activities have on the general public. There are many that don't believe
that a constructive dialogue is possible. The only alternative is going to
be escalating tension, complaints and even litigation as has already
occurred. I don't want that, but our community may have no choice but to
follow that example. It is *not* true that members of STN have refused to
negotiate or work with the aviation community. My neighbors and I, as I
described, have bent over backwards trying to seek a mutually-acceptable
resolution to the local situation. The next move needs to be on the part of
the EAA, IAC and aerobatic pilots. I have seen no willingness *whatsoever*
to accept limitations such as time of day or hours of flight per day or to
voluntarily avoid aerobatic practice over residences where the aged, sick,
or infirm might reside. How about the guy that sleeps days and works
graveyard shift at the fire department? Does he merit some sort of
consideration? The IAC and EAA refuse to even acnowledge that there is a
growing problem on both sides of the issue and the FAA is stuck in the
middle.

Time for a reality check.

That's the way it is. The ball's in your court. Unless the aviation community
and perhaps the FAA can work out a helpful response,.the path is going to be
regrettably clear.

Thank you for reading this.

Sounds like a troll.

Stop the noise airads Aerobatics 131 July 2nd 04 01:28 PM
Plasma Reduces Jet Noise (Turbines?) sanman Home Built 1 June 27th 04 12:45 AM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 General Aviation 7 January 10th 04 12:35 AM
Noise Nazis at it Again! Orval Fairbairn Home Built 13 December 9th 03 11:06 PM
Aviation Conspiracy: Bush Backs Down On Tower Privatization Issue!!! Bill Mulcahy General Aviation 3 October 1st 03 05:39 AM