Avgas Where is the ceiling?

Old May 2nd 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Avgas Where is the ceiling?

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one
behind me." --- General George S. Patton

Urban legend?

Old May 2nd 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
"The work of the Resistance was the work of 15 divisions." --- Gen Dwight
D.
Eisenhower (Gen. Patton's Boss.)

Yes, Eisenhower was quite skilled in politics, something Patton was not
skilled in. Guess which one would give you the straight poop?

Actually, Patton would.

http://www.victorhanson.com/articles/hanson102304.html (Military historian
Victor Hanson)

"Patton was not merely a great tactician, as Eisenhower seemed to think in
deprecating his larger advice about the nature and purpose of the war.
Indeed, he understood far more about strategy and global politics than did
either Eisenhower or Bradley."

Old May 2nd 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Matt Barrow" wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one
behind me." --- General George S. Patton

Urban legend?

Possibly. It appears Patton was fluent in French and presumably got along
well enough with the French (certainly better than he got along with
British General Montgomery). It seems nothing ascribed to him, true or not,
should be given much weight since he also wrote in "War As I Knew It" that
"a colored soldier cannot think fast enough to fight in armor." This
despite the good performance of the black 761st Tank Battalion.

Anyway, all I found on Snopes was this link (scroll down to the long second

http://msgboard.snopes.com/message/u.../1.html#000001
Old May 2nd 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

http://www.victorhanson.com/articles/hanson102304.html (Military historian Victor Hanson)

Oh, well, if you're going to quote the great Victor Hanson...

-Robert

Old May 2nd 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Very simple. Dwight D. Eisenhower said so in unequivocal terms, when among
other things he stated that the French Resistance was the equivalent of ten
divisions of regular Army troops. Without the French resistance, virtually
all of the preparatory work prior to D-Day would have been impossible, and
the morale of the German troops would have been much, much higher.

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
I can, however, prove beyond a shadow of
a doubt, from historical documentation, that without the help of the
French
and particularly the help of the French resistance, not only would the US
not been able to get the Germans out of France, D-Day would have been a
disastrous massacre of biblical proportions.

I'll take you up on that. Start proving....

-Robert

Old May 2nd 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
"The work of the Resistance was the work of 15 divisions." --- Gen Dwight
D.
Eisenhower (Gen. Patton's Boss.)

Yes, Eisenhower was quite skilled in politics, something Patton was not
skilled in. Guess which one would give you the straight poop?

Guess who led the Allies to victory in the war, rather than just the
battles? Straight poop indeed.

Old May 2nd 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

"The work of the Resistance was the work of 15 divisions." --- Gen Dwight
D.
Eisenhower (Gen. Patton's Boss.)

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an
accordion"

"I thought it was a big bird!" - Dick Cheney.

Old May 2nd 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"I thought it was a big bird!" - Dick Cheney.

Maybe I missed something, but I wasn't aware that Dick Cheney was
involved in WW II. Are you lost or do you know something the rest of us
don't?

-Robert

Old May 3rd 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.victorhanson.com/articles/hanson102304.html (Military
historian Victor Hanson)

Oh, well, if you're going to quote the great Victor Hanson...

I think he's the re-incarnation of George S. Patton. :~)

--
Matt
---------------------

Old May 3rd 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one
behind me." --- General George S. Patton

Urban legend?

Possibly. It appears Patton was fluent in French and presumably got along
well enough with the French (certainly better than he got along with
British General Montgomery). It seems nothing ascribed to him, true or
not,
should be given much weight since he also wrote in "War As I Knew It" that
"a colored soldier cannot think fast enough to fight in armor." This
despite the good performance of the black 761st Tank Battalion.

Check back a few posts for the link to Victor Hanson's lecture on Patton.
Also, his book "The Sole of Battle" is about one-third about Patton.

Avgas STC Mike Granby Owning 12 September 6th 05 07:18 PM
Avgas price and the light plane ownership M Owning 56 July 10th 05 04:55 AM
Avgas Prices aluckyguess Piloting 14 May 6th 05 07:23 AM
service ceiling of F-22 zxcv Military Aviation 7 March 14th 04 10:31 PM
Class C Ceiling Mzsoar Soaring 1 August 18th 03 08:50 PM