Did you ever give up on an IR?

Old November 19th 03, 03:27 PM
Chris Hoffmann

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
George Patterson
The actions taken by the New Hampshire Episcopalians (ie. inducting a

gay
bishop) are an affront to Christians everywhere. I am just thankful

that
the church's founder, Henry VIII, and his wife Catherine of Aragon,

and his
wife Anne Boleyn, and his wife Jane Seymour, and his wife Anne of

Cleves,
and his wife Katherine Howard, and his wife Catherine Parr are no

longer
here to suffer through this assault on traditional Christian

marriages.

Good one.

Old November 19th 03, 03:29 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Lynn Melrose wrote:

Is taking Dramamine and similar drugs not an option? I haven't read the
labels, but Dramamine has worked well for family members who are prone to
motion sickness.

It's certainly not an option when you exercising the privileges of your
medical certificate.

According to the AOPA medications database, the only motion sickness medicines
that are specifically prohibited are scopolamine and meclizine. You should
check with the AOPA medical hotline or an AME about others.

Old November 19th 03, 05:14 PM
Dave

The hood causes me problems when I am in training. I have over two
hundred Instrument hours and I still hate the hood. Try the Jepp Flip up
"Glasses" They seem to be better for me.

Michelle

The headband on the hood was always too tight and it gave me a headache. The
I would feel sick. Slackening the headband would cause it to fall down over
my face. The only answer was to fly in actual IMC head up.

Old November 20th 03, 12:39 AM
Lynn Melrose

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

Lynn Melrose wrote:

Is taking Dramamine and similar drugs not an option? I haven't read the
labels, but Dramamine has worked well for family members who are prone to
motion sickness.

It's certainly not an option when you exercising the privileges of your
medical certificate.

According to the AOPA medications database, the only motion sickness medicines
that are specifically prohibited are scopolamine and meclizine. You should
check with the AOPA medical hotline or an AME about others.

The absence of a drug on AOPA's medications database does not mean that it is safe
to fly while under its effects.

According to the PDR, "Dramamine may cause drowsiness. Be especially cautious
when driving, and when operating machinery." Dramamine 'Less Drowsy' has this same
warning.

FAR 91.17 says, "(a) No person may act or attempt to
act as a pilot crewmember of a civil aircraft…

(3) While using any drug that affects the person's
faculties in any way contrary to safety…"

I opine that operating as pilot in command while taking a drug that lists drowsiness
as a side-effect is contrary to safety.

The FAA says, "Pilots who are susceptible to airsickness should not take the
preventative drugs which are available over the counter or by prescription."
http://www2.faa.gov/fsdo/orl/files/advcir/P874041.TXT

AOPA says, "While pilots should avoid the use of drugs such as Dramamine to combat
motion sickness, there are a number of other options, such as the Relief Band,
manufactured by Woodside Biomedical Inc."
http://www.aopa.org/members/ftmag/ar...m?article=4016 (membership required)

AOPA also says, "Because airsickness can be so uncomfortable, getting back into an
airplane again to accumulate additional experience can be a problem for some. The
most common solution to this situation is to try some anti-motion sickness drugs so
you can experience the stimuli without getting sick, allowing you time to adapt.
These drugs should only be used when flying with an instructor. Never fly alone
while taking any of these drugs, and always try them out beforehand to see if you
have any serious adverse reactions."
http://www.aopa.org/members/ftmag/ar...m?article=2475 (membership required)

Your suggestion to consult your AME was a good one.

Old November 22nd 03, 08:33 PM
Greg Goodknight

It may be legal to receive dual instruction while taking Dramamine if your
instructor is apprised of the situation and is willing to be the PIC, and
you do not log the time as PIC. Logged dual time and simulated instrument
time does not have to be as PIC to be used to qualify for the rating.
Perhaps experiencing hooded flight without bad symptoms would help. Maybe
Foggies would also help, or a different hood.

I had to fly dual with a CFII for a couple of months while my med cert was
in the Twinkie Zone in OK City, in the aftermath of my Obstructive Sleep
Apnea disclosure. No PIC. No problem, besides not being able to use the
airplane for transportation. I believe any flight where you are not
medically legal to be in command can be handled the same way.

Good luck!

-Greg

PS I'm a lucky one. 84 hours of instrument time and no motion sickness or
signs of vertigo. Yet.

"No Such User" wrote in message
I wonder if I have what it takes to get an instrument rating. I can fly
just fine when the air is smooth, but if there's any turbulence I can
last at most two minutes before I have to choose between taking off the
hood or losing my lunch. The general consensus seems to be that this
will go away eventually, but I haven't seen any sign of it.

So to all those pilots out there, how many of you gave up on an IR because
of motion sickness? How many of you started out getting queasy but
eventually got over it?

Also, in case you're tempted to offer your home remedy, I've already
tried the usual tricks, e.g., ginger, light eating, no eating, high-carb
eating, the electric wrist-strap gizmo. Nothing helps.

Old November 23rd 03, 05:10 AM
Kyle Clark

Talk with your local Aviation Medical Examiner about techniques to cure
motion sickness. I know the AME at my school has techniques. I havn't had a
problem with motion sickness so I havn' talked with him about it.

Good Luck

hlink.net...

Old November 23rd 03, 08:52 PM
Big John

Greg

Must have deleted the original posting from "No such user" (?) so will
post here and hope 'he' reads?

Motion sickness practicing instruments.

1. Hold our head STILL and just move your eyes for the cross check. If
you move your head the inner ear and the instruments disagree and this
can lead to vertigo and motion sickness. Have your ears checked for
any unusual or damaged inner ears.

2. Keep cockpit COLD and cold air blowing in your face. A warm (hot)
cockpit with the smells of the airplane can help give motion sickness.
This might mean that you would have to fly your instrument training in
the winter time?

3. Chew gum.

4. Keep busy. Talk to instructor, etc. Anything that takes your mind
off the motion sickness will stop or prevent it.

Do maneuvers that take mental concentration, ie., LEVEL turns (+/-
five feet). climbs and descents to specific altitudes at specific
rates. Intersect and track in and out bound. Approaches of various
kinds. There are a multitude of maneuvers that require concentration
on then and would take your mind off the motion and help prevent/stop
any motion sickness.
..
4. I agree with the comment that continued exposure will help stop
motion sickness assuming that you are not suspectable to sea sickness,
auto sickness, etc. and have a medical problem.

5. Go ahead and fly with an IP and take motion sickness prevention
pills, stick on patches, etc. Slowly decrease them as you continue to
fly. As you decrease them the body should start taking over until you
can quit altogether.

In closing. Good luck in your training and hope you get the rating and
are comfortable flying instruments.

Big John

On motion sickness experience. I used to catch rides in the back end
or a C-47 that was flying 3-4K in the midwest in the summer time. That
thing would swing and sway and it was hot and I puked every time.
Persistence and other things I mentioned cured me even though when I
was actively instructing in the T-33 in Arizona, a student could make
me queazy. I then took the controls for 5 minutes and demonstrated
something which calmed my stomach down and then gave bird back to
student.

Go get'm tiger )

BJ

----clip----

Old November 24th 03, 06:13 PM
No Such User

In article , Big John wrote:

Motion sickness practicing instruments.

2. Keep cockpit COLD and cold air blowing in your face. A warm (hot)
cockpit with the smells of the airplane can help give motion sickness.
This might mean that you would have to fly your instrument training in
the winter time?

I do this already, much to the discomfort of my instructor.

3. Chew gum.

Never tried that. Don't know what good it would do, but I'm willing
to try anything.

4. Keep busy. Talk to instructor, etc. Anything that takes your mind
off the motion sickness will stop or prevent it.

Nope. It comes when it comes.

Do maneuvers that take mental concentration, ie., LEVEL turns (+/-
five feet). climbs and descents to specific altitudes at specific
rates. Intersect and track in and out bound. Approaches of various
kinds. There are a multitude of maneuvers that require concentration
on then and would take your mind off the motion and help prevent/stop
any motion sickness.
.

This doesn't seem to work. I had been hoping that concentration would
stave off the nausea, but it never happened.

4. I agree with the comment that continued exposure will help stop
motion sickness assuming that you are not suspectable to sea sickness,
auto sickness, etc. and have a medical problem.

This seems to be the consensus of all with experience with this.
Fortunately for my aspirations, no one replied with, "yes, I had to
give up on instrument flying." Most everyone who mentioned having
my problem said they eventually got over it. I'll keep clutching that
particular straw.

As for susceptibility, I suppose I'm a minor motion sickness case.
I can't read for very long in the back seat of a moving car, but I
can read all day on an airliner or a train, suggesting that it's all
frequency-dependent. I can ride around in a small boat with no problem,
but once it stops and just bobs on the water I start to get queasy.

5. Go ahead and fly with an IP and take motion sickness prevention
pills, stick on patches, etc. Slowly decrease them as you continue to
fly. As you decrease them the body should start taking over until you
can quit altogether.

I'll ask my instructor if he's cool with that.

On motion sickness experience. I used to catch rides in the back end
or a C-47 that was flying 3-4K in the midwest in the summer time. That
thing would swing and sway and it was hot and I puked every time.
Persistence and other things I mentioned cured me even though when I
was actively instructing in the T-33 in Arizona, a student could make
me queazy. I then took the controls for 5 minutes and demonstrated
something which calmed my stomach down and then gave bird back to
student.

Apparently, Chuck Yeager's first flying experience caused him to toss
his cookies, and somehow he got over it. Maybe there's hope for me yet.
If not, there's always my father's advice: "eat your dessert first--
it'll come up last and taste better."
Old November 24th 03, 08:01 PM
Don Tuite

One other thought.

I know two people who tried hypnosis for other things. One guy used
it to get through nicotine withdrawal. The other guy stopped
stuttering.

The smoker, that was ok. He was motivated (new father) and he just
had to hold out for the withdrawal period. The stutterer figures it
was a mistake -- he was hardwired for stuttering and the hypnosis set
up a tension -- that finally broke when he experienced a big scare*.
He started stuttering again after that, but felt more normal.

If your motion sickness is a software problem, maybe hypnosis would
help.

Don
*He and his wife survived an airliner crash that killed other pax.
Old November 25th 03, 03:19 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Lynn Melrose wrote:

According to the PDR, "Dramamine may cause drowsiness. Be especially cautious
when driving, and when operating machinery." Dramamine 'Less Drowsy' has this same
warning.

The key word in there is "may". Try it. If it makes you drowsy, don't fly when
taking it. If it doesn't produce unpleasant or dangerous side effects when you
take it, go fly.

George Patterson
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned
no other way.