Victor Airways in Clearance

Old January 14th 04, 04:07 AM
Wyatt Emmerich

Default Victor Airways in Clearance

I fly with a Garmin 530. Great box, but I cannot for the life of me
understand why they would fail to include Victor Airways. Anyway, I often
get a clearance such as 210BA cleared to Yodoo, Clear City, Victor 245,
Bogur.

Now if I program the Garmin 530 for Yodoo, Clear City, Bogur, 19 times our
of 20 I'm fine. ATC was just throwing in the Victor 245 for--I don't
know--clarification? However, one in 20 times there's a kink in the airway
and I'll screw up if I don't check the low altitude chart.

So instead of simply programming the Garmin 530 with the waypoints, I've got
to unfold the chart, figure out where the heck I am on it and make sure
Victor 245 doesn't have a bend in the road. In real IMC involves a lot of
looking down and head movement when I would rather be focused on my scan.

My point being: It would be a heck of a lot easier for Garmin 530 users if
ATC would dispense with the airway part of the clearance and just route us
base on waypoints.

Old January 14th 04, 06:03 AM
Larry Fransson

On 2004-01-13 20:07:01 -0800, "Wyatt Emmerich" said:

My point being: It would be a heck of a lot easier for Garmin 530 users

if
ATC would dispense with the airway part of the clearance and just route

us
base on waypoints.

Your clearance could also get really, really long.

--
Larry Fransson
Seattle, WA
Old January 14th 04, 09:56 AM
Jeff

I have the garmin 430, but I still have a bad habit that I just cant break of
having my map out and folded to the section I am at.

in cruise I am not to concerned about my scan, the auto pilot flies the plane
for me and on the approach, the 430 is connected to my HSI and that to my auto
pilot which makes even a DME arc perfect.
gotta love all those gadgets.

Jeff
http://www.turboarrow3.com

Old January 14th 04, 12:58 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Wyatt Emmerich" wrote in message

[...]

You're suggesting they should have Garmin 530 routes and non-Garmin 530
routes?

Old January 14th 04, 01:13 PM
John Theune

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
nk.net:

[...]

No I think what he is asking for is the abilty to program the garmin with
airways, like you can in the CN-80
Old January 14th 04, 01:55 PM
Nathan Young

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 04:07:01 GMT, "Wyatt Emmerich"
wrote:

[...]

Probably a bit late, but the CNX80 can accept victor airways in its
flightplans. Hopefully Garmin will borrow this piece of code from the
CNX80 and port it to the GNS series.

-Nathan
Old January 14th 04, 02:30 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John Theune" wrote in message
1...

No I think what he is asking for is the abilty to program the garmin with
airways, like you can in the CN-80

He wrote, "It would be a heck of a lot easier for Garmin 530 users if ATC
would dispense with the airway part of the clearance and just route us base
on waypoints." The ability to program the Garmin with airways is an issue
he'd have to take up with Garmin, not with ATC.

Old January 14th 04, 04:24 PM
Peter R.

Wyatt Emmerich ) wrote:

I fly with a Garmin 530. Great box, but I cannot for the life of me
understand why they would fail to include Victor Airways. Anyway, I often
get a clearance such as 210BA cleared to Yodoo, Clear City, Victor 245,
Bogur.

The Bendix King KLN94 also has to be programmed using waypoint instead of
airways. That's why I always have my low altitude instrument chart
unfolded in front of me after receiving the clearance.

--
Peter

Old January 14th 04, 06:18 PM
C J Campbell

"Wyatt Emmerich" wrote in message

| My point being: It would be a heck of a lot easier for Garmin 530 users if
| ATC would dispense with the airway part of the clearance and just route us
| base on waypoints.

It would be even easier if some genius would put the airways into the
database so you could program the GPS just the way the clearance was given.