VOR approach SMO

Old July 23rd 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default VOR approach SMO

The other day I shot the VOR approach into SMO for the first time in
low actual. I've often looked at that approach as one of the most
difficult I've seen published so it was interesting to actually try
it. The weather was 008OVC with something like 3sm HZ. I touched down
about 3/4 down the runway and was able to stop without a problem.
However, while taxiing back, I noticed a Gulf Stream land right on the
numbers. There is no way you can tell me he properly flew the approach
and was able to touch on the numbers.
The approach is published as a circle to land (I assume because of the
extreme nature of the decent) but they certainly were not offering to
allow anyone to circle. In fact there was a steady line of jets coming
in, it would probably have been unlikely to get a circle approved.

Last night I departed. AWOS was reporting 005OVC. I took off right
around 21:10. There was a large Citation right behind me picking up
his clearance. I didn't ever hear him depart on approach frequency so
I'm assuming he missed his curfew and his execs got stranded.

-Robert

Old July 23rd 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:
The other day I shot the VOR approach into SMO for the first time in
low actual. I've often looked at that approach as one of the most
difficult I've seen published

Why do you think this is difficult? The only thing I see that's tricky
about it is that you need to keep up a steep descent (360 ft/nm from DARTS
to the threshold, and about 500 ft/nm from CULVE to the threshold, by my
calculations), but that's just a matter of energy management.

However, while taxiing back, I noticed a Gulf Stream land right on the
numbers. There is no way you can tell me he properly flew the approach
and was able to touch on the numbers.

Why not? Follow the descent profile until you can see the runway, then fly
the rest visually. The only thing is you need to realize ahead of time
that this is a steep descent profile and you'll need to reduce power and/or
add drag to stay on the descent profile without picking up too much speed.
In a spam can, I would certainly be flying this with the first notch of
flaps in from DARTS or FAC intercept if on vectors.
Old July 23rd 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 23, 10:58 am, Roy Smith wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

The other day I shot the VOR approach into SMO for the first time in
low actual. I've often looked at that approach as one of the most
difficult I've seen published

Why do you think this is difficult?

Landing from 1100 feet when less than 2 miles from the runway. Notice
the VOR is on the OTHER side of the runway.

-Robert

Old July 23rd 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

Roy Smith wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

The other day I shot the VOR approach into SMO for the first time in
low actual. I've often looked at that approach as one of the most
difficult I've seen published

Why do you think this is difficult? The only thing I see that's tricky
about it is that you need to keep up a steep descent (360 ft/nm from DARTS
to the threshold, and about 500 ft/nm from CULVE to the threshold, by my
calculations), but that's just a matter of energy management.

The gradient from CULVE to the threshold is all that matters and that is
well over 600 feet per mile. You need to have the Jepp airport diagram
to figure that out.
Old July 23rd 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
karl gruber[_1_]

I see no problem with the weather 800/3 as you point out. Inside BEVEY drive
down to 680 outside CULVE, and have 3 miles to descend 505 feet. Any jet
will do that all day long.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

ups.com...

Old July 23rd 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

karl gruber wrote:
I see no problem with the weather 800/3 as you point out. Inside BEVEY drive
down to 680 outside CULVE, and have 3 miles to descend 505 feet. Any jet
will do that all day long.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

So, now you're past the runway and landing on the VOR shack.

It is 1.54 miles from CULVE to the beginning of the runway.
Old July 23rd 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

karl gruber wrote:

I see no problem with the weather 800/3 as you point out. Inside BEVEY drive
down to 680 outside CULVE, and have 3 miles to descend 505 feet. Any jet
will do that all day long.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

1120 at CULVE. 175 feet airport elevation. Difference 945 feet.
Distance from CULVE to runway 1.54 miles.
Old July 23rd 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
karl gruber[_1_]

Where are you digging up such erroneous thoughts?

With 800/3 you'll be way outside CULVE when you see the runway. That's the
difference between the pros that were landing without any fan fair and you,
without a clue.

Karl

Old July 23rd 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 23, 1:18 pm, "karl gruber" wrote:
Where are you digging up such erroneous thoughts?

No, he's right. The VOR (and therefor the DME readings) are on the
*OTHER* side of the runway. So the distance from CULVE to the
threshold is pretty short, and creates a pretty wild let down from
1000 feet.

-Robert