F/A-18 loaded to the gills lining up for approach....

Old October 2nd 07, 11:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom Callahan

Default F/A-18 loaded to the gills lining up for approach....

Same aircraft seen through the tree limbs. I think the aircraft is from
Oceana Naval Air Station.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5938 copy.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	17663
Old October 3rd 07, 01:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom Hayden

"Gunslingers" on outboard tanks means VFA-105 from Oceana.

Tom

Old October 3rd 07, 05:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom Callahan

Thanks for the ident. I just wish he had made his landings on the right
hand runway (07R). That would have brought him west along the beach with a
clockwise turn north and then east across the little lake behind our house
(or maybe over the house) each time he did a touch and go. Instead he was
using runway 07L and I could hear him but only catch glimpses through the
pine trees across the street. Maybe next time......

Old October 3rd 07, 07:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
JR[_2_]

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 17:36:14 -0500, "Tom Callahan"
wrote:

Same aircraft seen through the tree limbs. I think the aircraft is from
Oceana Naval Air Station.

FIVE fuel tanks?! Where did he came from? Japan?!
Old October 3rd 07, 10:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
NOCKERS[_2_]

wrote:

Same aircraft seen through the tree limbs. I think the aircraft is from
Oceana Naval Air Station.

FIVE fuel tanks?! Where did he came from? Japan?!

Centerline tank is a buddy pack. He is set up for refueling hence the
extra wing tanks
Old October 3rd 07, 11:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
NOCKERS[_2_]

wrote:

Same aircraft seen through the tree limbs. I think the aircraft is from
Oceana Naval Air Station.

FIVE fuel tanks?! Where did he came from? Japan?!

Centerline tank is a buddy pack. He is set up for refueling hence the
extra wing tanks

Tanker role
The Super Hornet, unlike the previous Hornet, can be equipped with an
aerial refueling system (ARS) for the refueling of other aircraft,
filling the tactical airborne tanker role the Navy had lost with the
retirement of the KA-6D tankers. The ARS includes an external 330
gallon tank with hose reel on the centerline along with four external
480 gallon tanks and internal tanks for a total of 29,000 pounds of
fuel on the aircraft.[

The Super Hornet has a similar fuel payload capacity to the Tomcat,
and is capable of flying the same high performance profiles as other
strike aircraft. Critics such as Bob Kress, designer of the F-14
Tomcat, point out that the wing, however, is not as efficient as the
subsonic KA-6, and that both Hornets and Super Hornets will be more
dependent on in-flight refueling than the longer range but retired
Tomcat

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F/A-18E...et#Tanker_role