Officials say al-Qaida operatives may be fully trained airline pilots

Old December 23rd 03, 05:16 AM
Mutts

Default Officials say al-Qaida operatives may be fully trained airline pilots

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ID/3775771/

Authorities raised the terrorist threat assessment over the weekend
after new intelligence indicated that operatives of Osama bin Laden’s
al-Qaida terror network, possibly trained and licensed to fly
passenger jets, may now be pilots for some foreign airlines, ideally
positioning them to carry out suicide attacks, U.S. officials told NBC
News on Monday.
Old December 23rd 03, 06:06 AM
Judah

Yeah, but now that the Security Level has been raised to Orange, we're all
safe!

Mutts wrote in
:

Old December 23rd 03, 01:51 PM
Rosspilot

new intelligence indicated that operatives of Osama bin Laden’s
al-Qaida terror network, possibly trained and licensed to fly
passenger jets, may now be pilots for some foreign airlines, ideally
positioning them to carry out suicide attacks

Well, there you have it. A perfect reason to come down hard on GA again.
Flawless logic. I feel so much safer now.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old December 23rd 03, 03:14 PM
Peter R.

Rosspilot ) wrote:

Well, there you have it. A perfect reason to come down hard on GA again.
Flawless logic. I feel so much safer now.

LOL!

--
Peter

Old December 23rd 03, 03:16 PM
Geoffrey Barnes

Authorities raised the terrorist threat assessment over the weekend
after new intelligence indicated that operatives of Osama bin Laden's
al-Qaida terror network, possibly trained and licensed to fly
passenger jets, may now be pilots for some foreign airlines, ideally
positioning them to carry out suicide attacks, U.S. officials told NBC
News on Monday.

I've always wondered whether that Egypt Air moron was really just suicidal,
or performing his own little jihad. It wouldn't suprise me a bit if he was
really the first al-Qaida operative to try this little twist on suicide
bombing.

Old December 23rd 03, 09:35 PM
Jim Buckridge

Mutts wrote in message . ..
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ID/3775771/

Authorities raised the terrorist threat assessment over the weekend
after new intelligence indicated that operatives of Osama bin Laden?s
al-Qaida terror network, possibly trained and licensed to fly
passenger jets, may now be pilots for some foreign airlines, ideally
positioning them to carry out suicide attacks, U.S. officials told NBC
News on Monday.

Suprise suprise surpise. That was the first thing I said when the new
security measures were put into place. If the pilot (and maybe
they'll need to copilot to be in on it too) are IN THE COCKPIT it
doesn't matter what security measures are in place. These terrorist
organizations are patient. They'll wait the X years it takes get
someone to get properly trained to fly a large passenger jet. Maybe
he's your CFI now. Or working at your FBO, building hours here in the
US so that he can become a pilot either here or abroad. How many
years passed between the first attempt WTC bombing and 9/11? I think
it was eight years. How long does it take someone to go from the $50
discovery flight to PIC of a passenger jet flying for Mid Eastern
airline?
Old December 23rd 03, 09:41 PM
Andrew Gideon

Jim Buckridge wrote:

Mutts wrote in message
. ..
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ID/3775771/

Authorities raised the terrorist threat assessment over the weekend
after new intelligence indicated that operatives of Osama bin Laden?s
al-Qaida terror network, possibly trained and licensed to fly
passenger jets, may now be pilots for some foreign airlines, ideally
positioning them to carry out suicide attacks, U.S. officials told NBC
News on Monday.

Suprise suprise surpise.

What does fascinate me is what they're doing about it.

- Andrew

Old December 24th 03, 01:19 AM
Rich Raine

I can't believe someone would train to get licensed, get a job on the
majors, have a great income, and style of life, and then would throw it all
away to make some guy living in a cave happy by participating in a suicide
attack. I just don't think that will happen.

Rich Raine

www.eraine.com

"Jim Buckridge" wrote in message
om...

. ..

Old December 24th 03, 01:30 AM
Ross Oliver

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 21:16:56 -0800, Mutts wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ID/3775771/

Authorities raised the terrorist threat assessment over the weekend
after new intelligence indicated that operatives of Osama bin Laden’s
al-Qaida terror network, possibly trained and licensed to fly
passenger jets, may now be pilots for some foreign airlines, ideally
positioning them to carry out suicide attacks, U.S. officials told NBC
News on Monday.

This was my favorite quote, from CNN:

"Ironically, reinforced cockpit doors now installed on many airliners
would serve to protect a pilot-terrorist from passenger intervention."

Old December 24th 03, 02:49 AM
Teacherjh

I can't believe someone would train to get licensed, get a job on the
majors, have a great income, and style of life, and then would throw it all
away to make some guy living in a cave happy by participating in a suicide
attack. I just don't think that will happen.

That's not the way it happens.

The way it happens is that some guy decides to make sombody living in a cave
(or dying on a cross) happy. They then train for the mission, put up with a
"great lifestyle", and finally give their life to God.

I'm sure it's in progress.

Jose