Electric Towplane sets a new climb record

Old January 14th 18, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Electric Towplane sets a new climb record

On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 5:33:15 AM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 8:32:19 AM UTC+13, Tony wrote:
My experience in the Electro in Uvalde and Kansas is that motor temp
becomes an issue well before battery and controller temp.

Depends on the machine. Antares has better motor cooling,
but batteries start to get hot and require early shutdown
at Uvalde for example (I typically shut down 800-1000 ft).
Perhaps cooling for enclosed FES motor isn't as good?

See ya, Dave

Pylon mounted motor will obviously cool much more easily than enclosed motor cooled through a small hole. Each concept has it's trade offs.
UH
Old January 17th 18, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I wonder if one of these Sun Flyer trainers might work out? I like the engine of the 4 seater and the wing area of the 2 seater.
http://sunflyer.com/specifications/

Sure looks similar to the Dynamic Rotax powered towplane.

Old January 18th 18, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

wrote on 1/17/2018 9:53 AM:
I wonder if one of these Sun Flyer trainers might work out? I like the engine of the 4 seater and the wing area of the 2 seater.
http://sunflyer.com/specifications/

I estimate they would have nearly the same climb rate with a 1000 lb sailplane, so
the much lower cost of the two seater would make it more attractive to most
operations. A "towplane version" might have a bigger battery pack for extra
duration without recharging, since it wouldn't need to carry baggage while towing.

And it ought to be easy to find towpilots - very zoomy, trike gear and no worries
about shock cooling the cylinders!

Old January 19th 18, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 9:25:57 AM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote on 1/17/2018 9:53 AM:
I wonder if one of these Sun Flyer trainers might work out? I like the engine of the 4 seater and the wing area of the 2 seater.
http://sunflyer.com/specifications/

I estimate they would have nearly the same climb rate with a 1000 lb sailplane, so
the much lower cost of the two seater would make it more attractive to most
operations. A "towplane version" might have a bigger battery pack for extra
duration without recharging, since it wouldn't need to carry baggage while towing.

And it ought to be easy to find towpilots - very zoomy, trike gear and no worries
about shock cooling the cylinders!

Could one recover some of the energy by using the motor as a generator on the way down - akin to regenerative braking on hybrid cars?
Uli
'AS'
Old January 24th 18, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

Pylon mounted motor will obviously cool much more easily than enclosed motor cooled through a small hole. Each concept has it's trade offs.
UH

Pylon mounting is the way to go. The FES self-launchers are VERY tricky to launch on a grass field because the prop tip is just a few inches off the ground. I have watched a friend blow up his prop on a grass field with just small bumps in it.
I like the new Polish GP series. The electric motor extends and retracts in just 4 seconds! Too bad there is a 2 year wait. The batteries are adequete now and will get better. There is a huge worldwide effort now to improve them.
Old January 27th 18, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 6:30:12 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Is this the future? No more shock cooling here!
https://newatlas.com/siemens-airbus-...-glider/48806/

Energy regeneration idea raises an engineering problem: how do you
optimise the total energy used?
A well designed prop for traction ( 80-90% power transfer) will be pretty poor
as a wind turbine .
A PhD to be won for designing a prop which maximises the energy transfer.
This includes glider in the equation.

JMF