A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Waikerie

Old January 19th 18, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Waikerie

Yesterday (Friday, 19th) was the last day of the Australian Multi-Class Nationals, and a great day to end it on. There were climbs to 14,000' (field elevation a couple of hundred) and fast cruises.
I stayed up until midnight watching the finishes on gtrack.
It was an area task, which is not as easy for a spectator to follow as a task with assigned turnpoints, which in turn is not as easy to follow as SGP.
Winning speeds were in the 160 to 170km/h range, except 15m (apparently the O'Donnell class), which finished sans Butch Buchanan in his new JS3.
It's interesting to follow Adam Woolley "Woolley Pup Pup" who is determined to beat all the gerros - geriatric pilots. And a laugh that in the last two competitions he's flown ASG29s, since he is such a Schempp fan.
Goodonya, Adam. Hashtag sorrytilo?
Results, as in most of the World, are on Soaring Spot.
Jim
Old January 20th 18, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Waikerie

And check the details in soaring spot.
Norm Bloch in a JS3 maxed out the area task and came in about 14Mins early, raw speed 179kph!
Higher wingloading on huge days is an advantage. (Not possible at GP with common wingloading).
I flew past North of the task area in a jet yesterday and the sky looked great, even better up in the direction of Alice Springs and around Newman in WA.
Both these sites were used by HW Grosse for records many years ago and have the potential for Namibia like flights on the right day, just no infrastructure and not many landing options.
Tom
Old January 20th 18, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Waikerie

Too bad the fai rules don't have the recently removed feature of the us rules where the pilot doesn't get punished when the task is undercalled...
Old January 20th 18, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Waikerie

3 out of the 12 pilots came in under and only 1 by more than 5 min.

Under called?

CJ
Old January 21st 18, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Waikerie

Task was an AAT with distances ranging from 210 to 606 km (WOW).

The shortest distance flown was 496 km.

Terry Cubley used some mysterious wrinkle in time/space fabric to fly 608 km on a task where 606 is the max.

At least 9 pilots out of 12 exceeded 90% of the maximum distance.

The 14 minute early pilot, Norm Bloch, flew 587 km, 97% of max distance.

So yes to my eye this would be an undercalled task.

Now, in 2017 the US removed the following rule in the name of simplification:

11.6.5 Undertime factor:
11.6.5.1 For a Modified Assigned Task: UTF = 0.1
11.6.5.2 For a Turn-area task:
MAXTATDIST = maximum possible distance, computed from the center of the start cylinder, less the start radius
UTF = 0.1 + 6 * ((DIST / MAXTATDIST) - 0.85) (but not less than 0.1, nor greater than 1.0)
11.6.6 Scored Time on Course:
For finishers whose TOC is not less than MINTIME: STOC = TOC
For finishers whose TOC is less than MINTIME: STOC = MINTIME - (MINTIME - TOC) * UTF

This was done based on the poll of course. I'm not really sure rule changes like this based on the polling info is really a good idea, for the following reason: A small subset of pilots at SSA contests have actually read the current years rules. An even smaller subset of that group has actually looked at the scoring formulas.

The effect of this undertime factor rule was to minimize the penalty a pilot would get from flying so fast on an undercalled day that they maxed out the areas and came back early.

The notes in the rule change summary document provide the following explanation for this rules removal:

This change removes the provision that a pilot who achieves more than 85% of the maximum possible distance on a Turn-Area Task in less than the assigned minimum time receives more credit for his actual speed. This is regarded as an unnecessary complication principally aimed at compensating for a questionable task call – so the issue is better dealt with by better task-setting advice and guidelines.

Yes I know that in a dream world there would not be poorly set tasks. However we fly in the real world. I have CD'd a couple contests and been the weatherman at a couple others. Sometimes conditions are better than forecast. Sometimes much better.

So anyway, if the Australians had this handy little rule in their rules, by my calculations, Norm would've been scored at 177.4 km/hr instead of 167 km/hr. He would've won the day instead of placing 4th, and instead of losing 29 points to Peter Temple, he wouldve gained 41 on Peter. Peter still would be champion but by 30 points instead of 100.
Old January 21st 18, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Waikerie

On Sunday, January 21, 2018 at 11:44:00 AM UTC-8, Tony wrote:
Task was an AAT with distances ranging from 210 to 606 km (WOW).

The shortest distance flown was 496 km.

Terry Cubley used some mysterious wrinkle in time/space fabric to fly 608 km on a task where 606 is the max.

At least 9 pilots out of 12 exceeded 90% of the maximum distance.

The 14 minute early pilot, Norm Bloch, flew 587 km, 97% of max distance.

So yes to my eye this would be an undercalled task.

Now, in 2017 the US removed the following rule in the name of simplification:

11.6.5 Undertime factor:
11.6.5.1 For a Modified Assigned Task: UTF = 0.1
11.6.5.2 For a Turn-area task:
MAXTATDIST = maximum possible distance, computed from the center of the start cylinder, less the start radius
UTF = 0.1 + 6 * ((DIST / MAXTATDIST) - 0.85) (but not less than 0.1, nor greater than 1.0)
11.6.6 Scored Time on Course:
For finishers whose TOC is not less than MINTIME: STOC = TOC
For finishers whose TOC is less than MINTIME: STOC = MINTIME - (MINTIME - TOC) * UTF

This was done based on the poll of course. I'm not really sure rule changes like this based on the polling info is really a good idea, for the following reason: A small subset of pilots at SSA contests have actually read the current years rules. An even smaller subset of that group has actually looked at the scoring formulas.

The effect of this undertime factor rule was to minimize the penalty a pilot would get from flying so fast on an undercalled day that they maxed out the areas and came back early.

The notes in the rule change summary document provide the following explanation for this rules removal:

This change removes the provision that a pilot who achieves more than 85% of the maximum possible distance on a Turn-Area Task in less than the assigned minimum time receives more credit for his actual speed. This is regarded as an unnecessary complication principally aimed at compensating for a questionable task call – so the issue is better dealt with by better task-setting advice and guidelines.

Yes I know that in a dream world there would not be poorly set tasks. However we fly in the real world. I have CD'd a couple contests and been the weatherman at a couple others. Sometimes conditions are better than forecast.. Sometimes much better.

So anyway, if the Australians had this handy little rule in their rules, by my calculations, Norm would've been scored at 177.4 km/hr instead of 167 km/hr. He would've won the day instead of placing 4th, and instead of losing 29 points to Peter Temple, he wouldve gained 41 on Peter. Peter still would be champion but by 30 points instead of 100.

Perhaps the CD was trying to keep the gliders under the clouds? It got blue to the East in VIC and further into NSW. Not many went fully NE in the last sector.
For cloud visualisation, open SkySight, settings, East Australia, check the satellite is Himawari-8, go back to the 19th, click the radio-telescope icon (satellite overlay) and step through the day.
The BOM website doesn't seem to allow going back a day or two.
http://satview.bom.gov.au/
Jim