RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

Old January 21st 18, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Default RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

From Facebook:

Sad news from the last race day;
Local Chile pilot Tomas Reich had an accident on the ridges south of Santiago. The Chile SAR recovered Tomas and took him by helicopter to the hospital in Santiago. Unfortunately Tomas died during the evening from the injuries he sustained during the accident. Our thoughts and prayers are for his family and friends during this tragic time.
Old January 21st 18, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

From the SGP.aero site:

During the last race day the tracker signal from GN Tomas Reich was lost whilst he was flying along the ridges south east of Santiago.
An aircraft was despatched from the airfield and the Chile search and rescue were alerted. They found the glider on the hill side and Thomas was found to be alive but injured. Once he was stabilised by the paramedic crew he was taken aboard the helicopter to Santiago hospital.

Unfortunately Tomas died during the evening from the injuries he sustained during the accident.
The news of Tomas death was relayed to the competitors and organisers at Vitacura a short time after the closing ceremony of the contest.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends during this tragic time.

Old January 21st 18, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Sunday, January 21, 2018 at 6:59:41 AM UTC-7, Paul Agnew wrote:
From Facebook:

Sad news from the last race day;
Local Chile pilot Tomas Reich had an accident on the ridges south of Santiago. The Chile SAR recovered Tomas and took him by helicopter to the hospital in Santiago. Unfortunately Tomas died during the evening from the injuries he sustained during the accident. Our thoughts and prayers are for his family and friends during this tragic time.

Sad news indeed. Would be interested to learn more regarding what exactly happened. Condolences to his family and friends.
Old January 21st 18, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Sunday, January 21, 2018 at 12:25:34 PM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
On Sunday, January 21, 2018 at 6:59:41 AM UTC-7, Paul Agnew wrote:
From Facebook:

Sad news from the last race day;
Local Chile pilot Tomas Reich had an accident on the ridges south of Santiago. The Chile SAR recovered Tomas and took him by helicopter to the hospital in Santiago. Unfortunately Tomas died during the evening from the injuries he sustained during the accident. Our thoughts and prayers are for his family and friends during this tragic time.

Sad news indeed. Would be interested to learn more regarding what exactly happened. Condolences to his family and friends.

Condolences to his family. Much too early for Tomas.

For anyone who flies in the mountain I suggest reading "Dancing with the Wind" by Jean-Marie Clement. There is a good section on safety of mountain flying, an eye opener.
Old January 21st 18, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

Tragic. Slight correction; I think Mr. Reich's contest id is ZZ, not GN (also according to his Facebook info). One can review the online tracker just before he moves beyond the FOV. Start @ 1:45:00 where ZZ appears to be moving to align with a CCW gaggle at an altitude similar to the others. You can see him make a correction, but instead of joining the group, he turns abruptly westerly beyond view. I don't think he re-appears after that, though there is data coming from his ship well forward of that timepoint.

https://youtu.be/LgR7KkNXyWI?t=6309
Old January 21st 18, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

W dniu niedziela, 21 stycznia 2018 21:24:49 UTC+1 użytkownik Duster napisał:
Tragic. Slight correction; I think Mr. Reich's contest id is ZZ, not GN (also according to his Facebook info). One can review the online tracker just before he moves beyond the FOV. Start @ 1:45:00 where ZZ appears to be moving to align with a CCW gaggle at an altitude similar to the others. You can see him make a correction, but instead of joining the group, he turns abruptly westerly beyond view. I don't think he re-appears after that, though there is data coming from his ship well forward of that timepoint.

https://youtu.be/LgR7KkNXyWI?t=6309

76/5000

it happened when there was a break in the transmission - much closer to Santiago
Old January 22nd 18, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Was the break in transmission perhaps not due to there being an accident? Is there a protocol to be followed during live transmissions in a situation like this?
Old January 22nd 18, 08:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Very sad news. Safety of WGC events has been appalling for decades and if you calculate accident rate / participants or flight hours in Grand Prix events, it must be at least tenfold, probably more. This is not acceptable, and still we accept it year after year. Yes it's beautiful, exhilarating and media-sexy to compete few meters from mountains but this is crazy. If they would have same accident rate in motorsports, events would be simply forbidden as too dangerous.
Old January 22nd 18, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 2:38:33 AM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
Very sad news. Safety of WGC events has been appalling for decades and if you calculate accident rate / participants or flight hours in Grand Prix events, it must be at least tenfold, probably more. This is not acceptable, and still we accept it year after year. Yes it's beautiful, exhilarating and media-sexy to compete few meters from mountains but this is crazy. If they would have same accident rate in motorsports, events would be simply forbidden as too dangerous.

Not knowing anything about the WGC safety related rules myself, what is it in their rules that makes WGC events more dangerous than others?
Uli
'AS'
Old January 22nd 18, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Monday, 22 January 2018 13:57:08 UTC+2, AS wrote:

Not knowing anything about the WGC safety related rules myself, what is it in their rules that makes WGC events more dangerous than others?
Uli
'AS'

Generally speaking it is outlanding accidents and midair collisions. 99% of the problem is poor judgement and unnecessary risk taking of pilots, every single accident is because "pilot error". Rules are not the problem, though probably there could be rules that penalize instead of reward risk taking..

de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter pics 1 [03/11] - DeHavilland-Canada-DHC-6-100-Twin-Otter-Chile-Air-Force-Fuerza-Aerea-De-Chile-Twin-Engine-Airplane-Aircraft-940.jpg (1/1) Miloch Aviation Photos 0 September 30th 17 03:10 PM
Any news from Chile Bob Gibbons[_2_] Soaring 3 March 2nd 10 05:08 PM
Soaring in Chile [email protected] Soaring 3 February 22nd 09 12:43 AM
The GP in Chile cernauta Soaring 0 January 7th 09 01:51 AM
Reich Weapons in Australia robert arndt Military Aviation 0 January 3rd 04 05:47 PM