More on Powell and the guard

Old February 20th 04, 10:27 PM
ArtKramr

Default More on Powell and the guard

"I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and well-placed managed to
wangle slots in the Army Reserve and National Guard units." -- Colin Powell, My
American Journey, 1995

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old February 22nd 04, 01:27 AM
Brian

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
"I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and well-placed

managed to
wangle slots in the Army Reserve and National Guard units." -- Colin

Powell, My
American Journey, 1995

Bush served in the Military and was discharged honorably...get over it. He
could have chosen not to serve at all and gone off to Oxford.

Old February 22nd 04, 01:34 AM
ArtKramr

Subject: More on Powell and the guard
From: "Brian"
Date: 2/21/04 4:27 PM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
"I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and well-placed

managed to
wangle slots in the Army Reserve and National Guard units." -- Colin

Powell, My
American Journey, 1995

Bush served in the Military and was discharged honorably...get over it. He
could have chosen not to serve at all and gone off to Oxford.

Sorry. Old man Bush had no influence to get his dumb kid into a school like
Oxford. He could only wheedle Yale and Harvard to let the" c" student in. But
if young Bush didn't have a powerful rich father he never would have gotten
into either school nor the National Guard for that matter.

Old February 22nd 04, 05:06 AM
Al Dykes

In article ,
R. David Steele wrote:

| "I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and well-placed
|managed to
| wangle slots in the Army Reserve and National Guard units." -- Colin
|Powell, My
| American Journey, 1995
|
|Bush served in the Military and was discharged honorably...get over it. He
|could have chosen not to serve at all and gone off to Oxford.
|

|Sorry. Old man Bush had no influence to get his dumb kid into a school like
|Oxford. He could only wheedle Yale and Harvard to let the" c" student in. But
|if young Bush didn't have a powerful rich father he never would have gotten
|into either school nor the National Guard for that matter.

The Bush family does not even begin to have the wealth that
Senator Edwards (D-NC) has (over $50 million). And Sen. Kerry
(D-MA) has ten times that ($500 million).

I can't speak to Edwards or Kerry but it seems that the Bush
family's money has very deeep roots that mean at least amount
as the bank bank balance; See

American Dynasty: Aristocracy, Fortune, and the Politics of
Deceit in the House of Bush by Kevin Phillips

At that time, Texas was ran by LBJ and his buddies. Not a
friendly place for republicans.

The main reason the GWB was able to get in was that he signed up
to fly the F-102 and take two years of active duty. There were
over 35 slots open in that unit due to the active duty
requirements.

If you want to vent your hate, vent at our fellow democrats who
created that system to protect their buddies. If you have
forgotten the '60s, that was an era when the democrats in
congress created high tax rates then had all sorts of loop holes
for their buddies.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Old February 23rd 04, 06:58 AM
George Z. Bush

"R. David Steele" wrote in message

|| "I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and well-placed
||managed to
|| wangle slots in the Army Reserve and National Guard units." -- Colin
||Powell, My
|| American Journey, 1995
||Bush served in the Military and was discharged honorably...get over it. He
||could have chosen not to serve at all and gone off to Oxford.
||Sorry. Old man Bush had no influence to get his dumb kid into a school like
||Oxford. He could only wheedle Yale and Harvard to let the" c" student in.

But
||if young Bush didn't have a powerful rich father he never would have

gotten
||into either school nor the National Guard for that matter.
|
|The Bush family does not even begin to have the wealth that
|Senator Edwards (D-NC) has (over $50 million). And Sen. Kerry
|(D-MA) has ten times that ($500 million).
|

|I can't speak to Edwards or Kerry but it seems that the Bush
|family's money has very deeep roots that mean at least amount
|as the bank bank balance; See
|
|American Dynasty: Aristocracy, Fortune, and the Politics of
| Deceit in the House of Bush by Kevin Phillips

Kerry is very old money, as he is a Bonesman like Bush. And far
more wealth. The Bush family is not all that well to do, in
comparison. Most of the big money these days is in the democrat
party. Even the Ford family (Ford motors, Ford foundation) and
Carnegie family (US Steel) have been bankrolling many of the far
left's operations for years. Most of the money in these old
families is tied up in foundations so that they do not pay the
estate tax.

Add Warren Buffet, George Soros, Bill Gates and 9 out of the top
11 wealthiest senators in congress.

Right. I guess that explains why Bush can raise gobs more money for his
reelection campaign than all nine of his original Democratic wannabee nominees
put together.

George Z.

Old February 23rd 04, 01:42 PM
Stephen Harding

George Z. Bush wrote:

Right. I guess that explains why Bush can raise gobs more money for his
reelection campaign than all nine of his original Democratic wannabee nominees
put together.

This is the claim with most every Presidential election.

The last record campaign money raising award was held by
Bill Clinton.

"Power of the incumbency" and all that.

SMH

Old February 24th 04, 12:46 PM
Cub Driver

Most of their donations are
under $300 which keeps the averages low.

And only donations under (I believe it is) $250 count for federal
match funds. Both Bush and Kerry will take the match for the fall
campaign.

But you're omitting "soft money". The Democrats may have the edge on
that, what with their affinity for billionaires like George Soros, not
to mention what Edwards calls "the A F of L". (How old is he anyway?
It hasn't been called that since 1950 or so, since it merged with the
CIO.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old February 24th 04, 02:21 PM
George Z. Bush

R. David Steele wrote:
The Bush family does not even begin to have the wealth that
Senator Edwards (D-NC) has (over $50 million). And Sen. Kerry
(D-MA) has ten times that ($500 million).

I can't speak to Edwards or Kerry but it seems that the Bush
family's money has very deeep roots that mean at least amount
as the bank bank balance; See

American Dynasty: Aristocracy, Fortune, and the Politics of
Deceit in the House of Bush by Kevin Phillips

Kerry is very old money, as he is a Bonesman like Bush.

Kerry may be a member of Skull and Bones, as is Bush, but he's miles from old
money. His grandfather was a Czech Jew named Fritz Kohn, who changed his name
to Frederick Kerry in 1902 while a Czech citizen, and emigrated to the US three
years later as Frederick Kerry. He committed suicide in 1921 apparently for
financial reasons, which suggests that there was no family money back then.
Kerry's father was in the Foreign Service, which is not known for providing its
employees with excessive salaries. So, old money? It hardly seems likely. If,
as he himself says, he always considered himself comfortably well off while he
was growing up, that probably would have been a testimonial to the frugality
with which his parents managed their accumulated resources rather than inherited
wealth, as most old money is usually acquired.

George Z.

Old February 24th 04, 05:16 PM
Stephen Harding

George Z. Bush wrote:

employees with excessive salaries. So, old money? It hardly seems likely. If,
as he himself says, he always considered himself comfortably well off while he
was growing up, that probably would have been a testimonial to the frugality
with which his parents managed their accumulated resources rather than inherited
wealth, as most old money is usually acquired.

Old money can also be acquired through marriage.

I believe that has been the Kerry "technique" in gaining it.

SMH

Old February 24th 04, 11:29 PM
George Z. Bush

"Stephen Harding" wrote in message
George Z. Bush wrote:

employees with excessive salaries. So, old money? It hardly seems likely.

If,
as he himself says, he always considered himself comfortably well off while

he
was growing up, that probably would have been a testimonial to the frugality
with which his parents managed their accumulated resources rather than

inherited
wealth, as most old money is usually acquired.

Old money can also be acquired through marriage.

I disagree. Old money is money that's been in your family for ages. What
people get when they marry into it is the title "nouveau riche".

George Z.