Issues with Dell Streak

Old March 24th 17, 10:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wade G

Default Issues with Dell Streak

Since I have been unable to get access to the XCSoar forum thus far, I thought I'd go ahead and post my questions here.

I just got a used Dell Streak 5 that was previously an AT&T one.
It appears it is Android 1.6 and seems to be functioning fine.
I attempted to install XCSoar using wifi.
I first tried to install it by downloading the file its3elf but it won't let me install an app that isn't from google play. It also do not see an option to allow it to get apps from other sources.
I then tried to download it from google play. Google play tried to pull up the 'terms and conditions' web page but it appears the browser is no longer valid and won't let me go further.

What's next?
I have no SIM card for it but if I'm using wifi, I shouldn't need one, correct?
Being new to Android, does it require that I get something like "CM7" or "fastboot" or something else?

I assume that I have to either make the phone capable of accessing google play normally or I have to find a way to install XCSoar from a desktop?

Will any of the changes interfere with the functionality of XCSoar and what it needs to operate (IE Bluetooth to connect with my vario).

ANY ADVICE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Wade
Old March 24th 17, 11:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 5:30:47 AM UTC-4, Wade G wrote:
[...]

Have you tried putting it on a microSD card and installing it from there? Put map files etc there too and then move them to the Streak? I installed it on two Streaks that way...

from the manual:
"On Android
Obtain XCSoar from Google’s Android market, or install the apk
file manually. Copy the data files on the SD card in the directory
XCSoarData."

When I ran Streaks, I used a wired connection to PowerFLARM (my logger) and LX 7007 (vario) with an IOIO card.

What vario are you using?
Old March 24th 17, 11:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Quietpilot

On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 4:30:47 AM UTC-5, Wade G wrote:
Since I have been unable to get access to the XCSoar forum thus far, I thought I'd go ahead and post my questions here.

I just got a used Dell Streak 5 that was previously an AT&T one.
It appears it is Android 1.6 and seems to be functioning fine.
I attempted to install XCSoar using wifi.
I first tried to install it by downloading the file its3elf but it won't let me install an app that isn't from google play. It also do not see an option to allow it to get apps from other sources.
I then tried to download it from google play. Google play tried to pull up the 'terms and conditions' web page but it appears the browser is no longer valid and won't let me go further.

What's next?
I have no SIM card for it but if I'm using wifi, I shouldn't need one, correct?

Correct I have no sim card and work fine.

Being new to Android, does it require that I get something like "CM7" or "fastboot" or something else?

You would need a fastboot to do upgrades to the OS or load a Custom ROM.

I assume that I have to either make the phone capable of accessing google play normally or I have to find a way to install XCSoar from a desktop?

I would upgrade to a newer android version first, then the market should allow you. The market may have moved beyond support for donut (1.6). loading software outside of market is possible but I lack the skills.

Will any of the changes interfere with the functionality of XCSoar and what it needs to operate (IE Bluetooth to connect with my vario).

I use my streak with a Nano 2 via bluetooth. using dells version of android, yes. using a custom rom. maybee?

ANY ADVICE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Wade

I am surprised it is only 1.6 must have been an early one. I will have to check mine. I thought it came with android 2.3.3. Now that I check some shipped with 1.6 and upgraded over the air to 2.2 and later 2.3.3 which is where mine is. there are some resources on upgrading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rjpoYA9xAk
http://max.kellermann.name/projects/xcsoar/streak.html

If all else fails convince me to trade with yours. XCSoar is preloaded and receives market updates. i'm using a e-ink device w/ integrated audio, GPS, and barometric sensors, but powered up the streak last week and it still works.
Old March 24th 17, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Here ya go:

Step by step instructions:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r42sdbjyv7...tions.txt?dl=0

Olleh:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/18c8ldgh4...7Tc6L_G-a?dl=0

CM7:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g9b5akjng...2BHWfsSra?dl=0

Follow the instructions exactly and in order and everything will work
just fine. I have three of Streaks, one in the Stemme for my wife and
two in a drawer as spares. All run CM7 (2.3.7) and the latest version
of XCSoar.

Let me know if you have any problems and I'll try to help.

Good Luck!

Dan

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 24th 17, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Gough[_2_]

On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 5:30:47 AM UTC-4, Wade G wrote:

It appears it is Android 1.6 and seems to be functioning fine.

Being new to Android, does it require that I get something like "CM7" or "fastboot" or something else?

Wade,

I bought a brand new Streak in the original sealed box with 1.6 and did not have a problem loading XCSoar but the performance is not that great. You really need to upgrade to 2.3.3 Olleh or CM7. If the upgrade tools Dan has pointed you to do not work, read on.

I had already updated a number of other Streaks to 2.3.3 Olleh and CM7 but never from a 1.6 version. I had multiple attempts using the same tools Dan has published but they did not work. I finally got it all working and upgraded by first employing a software called QDL tool, this is the first step in the upgrade process from 1.6: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zafy2mn4ygcflez/k_NG62Q1MI. This software is for reviving a bricked Streak and installing 2..2 Froyo.

It wasn't all plain sailing though, the instruction title is "How to Update to DJ_Steve’s OR Dell’s Android 2.2 via QDL Tool on Windows 7 32-Bit". This assumes you have a version 2.2 upgrade available, I never found one. I also did not have Windows7 but it worked ok using XP.

The trick is at step "16. If it fails now go back to step 10". It is going to fail unless you have the 2.2 upgrade on your Streak, don't go back to step 10 just shut down and start the Olleh installation process.

You will probably have a few glitsches, all the fancy button presses can take a bit of getting used to.
Old March 25th 17, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wade G

Thanks for the input!
I'm working on Dan's outline tonight and will report on results.
Wade
Old March 25th 17, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I just heard from Wade that Windows 10 is preventing the update from
happening. It appears to be a driver issue and I doubt there are any
Windows 10 drivers for a Dell Streak. Can anybody here help? I've
suggested finding a Windows Vista or 8 computer to do the update.

Dan (Hater of all things Windows, but refuse the Apple kool-aid)

Old March 25th 17, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wade G

Morning update:
I start the Streak in fast boot mode and when I connect I to the USB and windows 10, it doesn't recognize it.
Anyone know how to teach my windows 10 computer to recognize it?
Wade

Old March 26th 17, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wade G

That is logical but my attempts to register are met with no email to me to get the reg completed. Until then I have a new toy (actually an old Streak) to play with and I'm too obsessive to wait!
Wade

CAI302 to Dell Streak 5 Wade G Soaring 4 March 21st 17 07:37 PM
Wanted: Dell Streak 5 Wade G Soaring 3 March 4th 17 11:21 PM
Dell Streak - what ROM version? [email protected] Soaring 7 May 24th 14 05:09 PM
Temperature Probe for Dell Streak Dan Marotta Soaring 14 April 20th 13 02:56 AM
Dell Streak 5 available soartech[_2_] Soaring 0 November 14th 12 06:44 PM