deturbulated std cirrus flies against Diana 1

Old June 9th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Hendrix

Default deturbulated std cirrus flies against Diana 1

For the latest parallel flight of my deturbulated Standard Cirrus vs. a
modern glider, go to
http://sinhatech.com/SinhaFCSD-Progr...08.asp#article .

20 minutes of parallel flying should be enough to make the point.

Download and replay the logs in SeeYou, or what have you.

Jim Hendrix
Oxford Aero Equipment, LLC
417 N. 11th Street
Oxford, MS 38655

662-234-0492 voice
662-234-2195 fax

www.oxaero.com
Old June 9th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

modern glider, go tohttp://sinhatech.com/SinhaFCSD-Progress-06072008.asp#article.

20 minutes of parallel flying should be enough to make the point.

Download and replay the logs in SeeYou, or what have you.

Jim Hendrix
Oxford Aero Equipment, LLC
417 N. 11th Street
Oxford, MS 38655

662-234-0492 voice
662-234-2195 fax

Jim,

How narrow is the airspeed "sweet spot" for achieving these
performance gains? From the looks of the presentations on the
website, it seems like it might be rather small. Are there any
handling characteristics that are affected by the modifications such
as stall, slow speed, thermalling, etc.?

Dave
Old June 9th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Hendrix

At 20:39 09 June 2008, wrote:
On Jun 9, 2:58=A0pm, Jim Hendrix wrote:
[...]

Dave,

The narrowness of the extreme performance peak near 50 KIA is seen in the
third graph on page
http://sinhatech.com/SinhaFCSD-Progress-12012007.asp .
The two neighboring speed points are 2.5 kts on either side, or 5 kts
apart. That I was not accounting for my additional weight and was flying
too slow at 50 KIA is seen in the 47.5 point being higher than the 52.5
KIA point. I believe that is the reason that my extreme performance
flight on 12/1/07 only reached 70:1 whereas Johnson's a year earlier
reached over 100:1. This is confirmed by my second 50 run on 12/1/07 in
which excessive pitch momentum arriving at the magic speed made the AOA
and deturbulator performance "hunt" each other such that the performance
swung between Johnson's performance at the top and baseline at the bottom
(Click Extreme Performance powerpoint link and scroll to the bottom for
that graph.).

It is interesting that if, as it appears, my ship was matching a 45:1
glider, that is about the performance level between the neighboring speed
points I used to define the performance peak width. So, the polar from
12/1/08 closely matches the Diana performance I saw last Saturday.

Stall speed is not affected significantly. Neither is handline, though
there are a number of interesting effects from flying with wings that
change moment to moment. Lately I've been experimenting with instantly
improving performance by pulling up to nearly a stall and slowly settling
down to 51 KIA. It seems that often this gives me a quick performance
boost.

JEH
Old June 9th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 9, 4:13*pm, Jim Hendrix wrote:
At 20:39 09 June 2008, wrote:

[...]

JEH- Hide quoted text -

Jim,

Thanks for the info. Some additional questions for you. What do you
"feel" in the aircraft when this "AOA
and deturbulator performance hunt" is going on? Is there some kind of
noticable oscillation going on? What are some of the other
"interesting effects"?

Dave
Old June 9th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Hendrix

At 21:30 09 June 2008, wrote:

tohttp://sinhatech.com/SinhaFCSD-Progress-06072008.asp#a=3D
rticle.

20 minutes of parallel flying should be enough to make the point.

Download and replay the logs in SeeYou, or what have you.

Jim Hendrix
Oxford Aero Equipment, LLC
417 N. 11th Street
Oxford, MS 38655

662-234-0492 voice
662-234-2195 fax

Jim,

How narrow is the airspeed "sweet spot" for achieving these
performance gains? =A0From the looks of the presentations on the
website, it seems like it might be rather small. Are there any
handling characteristics that are affected by the modifications such
as stall, slow speed, thermalling, etc.?

Dave

Dave,

The narrowness of the extreme performance peak near 50 KIA is seen in

the
third graph on

pagehttp://sinhatech.com/SinhaFCSD-Progress-12012007.asp.
=A0The two neighboring speed points are 2.5 kts on either side, or 5

kts
apart. =A0That I was not accounting for my additional weight and was

flyin=
too slow at 50 KIA is seen in the 47.5 point being higher than the

52.5
KIA point. =A0I believe that is the reason that my extreme performance
flight on 12/1/07 only reached 70:1 whereas Johnson's a year earlier
reached over 100:1. =A0This is confirmed by my second 50 run on

12/1/07
in=

which excessive pitch momentum arriving at the magic speed made the

AOA
and deturbulator performance "hunt" each other such that the

performance
swung between Johnson's performance at the top and baseline at the

bottom
(Click Extreme Performance powerpoint link and scroll to the bottom

for
that graph.).

It is interesting that if, as it appears, my ship was matching a 45:1
glider, that is about the performance level between the neighboring

speed
points I used to define the performance peak width. =A0So, the polar

from
12/1/08 closely matches the Diana performance I saw last Saturday.

Stall speed is not affected significantly. =A0Neither is handline,

though
there are a number of interesting effects from flying with wings that
change moment to moment. =A0Lately I've been experimenting with

instantly
improving performance by pulling up to nearly a stall and slowly

settling
down to 51 KIA. =A0It seems that often this gives me a quick

performance
boost.

JEH- Hide quoted text -

Jim,

Thanks for the info. Some additional questions for you. What do you
"feel" in the aircraft when this "AOA
and deturbulator performance hunt" is going on? Is there some kind of
noticable oscillation going on? What are some of the other
"interesting effects"?

Dave

Dave,

I measured this only once. I felt nothing that I recall, but was a bit
perturbed that the vario was not as steady as for the first 50 kt run in
that flight. Of course, at the time I had no idea what was going on. My
thinking is that when it was hunting, it was sweping back and forth past
the "magic" airspeed that I didn't realize should have been around 51
KIA.

JEH

Old June 9th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Dickson[_2_]

If both gliders were flying at about 51 kts, doesn't this give the Cirrus
an advantage? 51 kts probably gives best l/d for the Cirrus, but it will
be well below best l/d for the diana.

SZD-56-2 Diana Yurek Soaring 23 September 4th 08 07:31 PM
SZD-56 Diana Wayne Paul Aviation Photos 0 March 11th 08 01:19 PM
Diana-2 VH-VHZ BlueCumulus[_2_] Soaring 3 July 25th 07 08:00 AM
SZD-56-2 Diana Yurek Soaring 14 February 18th 05 01:25 AM
SZD-56-2 Diana Yurek Soaring 1 January 29th 05 01:02 PM