Busted ADIZ - What Now?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 19th 04, 05:41 PM
Scott Lowrey

Default Busted ADIZ - What Now?

I haven't posted to this group for months so forgive me if this has been
discussed in other thread.

I'm looking for advice on how to respond to an FAA order suspending my
ticket. I've read and posted here for some time but I stopped after
last May. I respect the opinions of most in this group, so I'll check
with all of you before I make up my mind.

I clipped the DC ADIZ back in May. I was flying out of Frederick, MD
and meant to head for Harper's Ferry. I read the Potomac River wrong
and flew straight south into the ADIZ near Dulles before correcting to
the west. After I landed, the FBO staff informed me that the FAA wanted
to have a chat. I called them and, several days later, filed my report.

It was my second or third flight out of FDK. I'm new to Maryland and
only have 100 hours in my log book. I knew the rules of the ADIZ. I
basically failed to establish a correct heading after takeoff due to
stress and rusty skills; I froze, and kept blundering forward,
essentially lost for several minutes on a sunny day. The GPS was
different from what I was used to and I meant to practice VOR-only nav
that day. I felt pretty shook up for a few minutes but completed the
rest of the flight without problems.

So, I've got this letter presenting the order and several options. I
can appeal the order either formally or informally. I could have gotten
a waiver but that would have required a "timely" safety report to NASA,
which I didn't do. I (or an attorney on my behalf) can send in another
report, furthing explaining what happened. Or, I can simply surrender my
certificate.

The way I look at it, I simply screwed up and probably need remedial
training. But I can't train without a ticket. I don't see how I can
get around the penalty, since it's justified. Should I seek legal
counsel from AOPA? Doesn't seem worth the time to me.

I'm pretty discouraged and haven't been interested in flying ever since
I left the FBO that day. I did my homework before the flight, always
prided myself on knowing the rules of the system... but when it came
right down to it, I just didn't fly right. Now I'm wondering, as a
renter, when I'll ever be confident of my skills. Unless I continue
pursuing my IR (aborted last year when I moved) and really spend a lot
of time up there (and a lot of cash), what good is it? I'll just be a
sucky 20-hour-per-year pilot.

What would you do?

--Scott