Seminole Lake Owner Arrested

Old February 25th 16, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Seminole Lake Owner Arrested

Why do we need to attract and retain women in this sport?

I say we need to attract new blood, not of any group, sex, ethnicity,
religion, or anything else other than folks who dream to experience the
joy that we try to express to others. We need to get away from
identifying people by physical traits.

BTW, I enjoyed the honey dripping southern drawl and I understood that
it was meant in good fun. People are just too sensitive.

Dan

On 2/25/2016 8:30 AM, Waveguru wrote:
It is hard enough to attract and retain women in this sport, and posts like the last one, while tongue in cheek, are counterproductive to what we want in our sport IMHO.

Boggs

--
Dan, 5J

Old February 25th 16, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 10:36:09 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Why do we need to attract and retain women in this sport?

I say we need to attract new blood, not of any group, sex,
ethnicity, religion, or anything else other than folks who dream to
experience the joy that we try to express to others.* We need to get
away from identifying people by physical traits.

BTW, I enjoyed the honey dripping southern drawl and I understood
that it was meant in good fun.* People are just too sensitive.

Dan

On 2/25/2016 8:30 AM, Waveguru wrote:

It is hard enough to attract and retain women in this sport, and posts like the last one, while tongue in cheek, are counterproductive to what we want in our sport IMHO.

Boggs

--

Dan, 5J

Dan, believe it or not but attitudes like yours and Henry's are what's keeping us from having the smallest semblance of diversity in our sport - plus you are driving away the few non-old-white-men that do soaring. Making fun of others that don't look like you or use a different bathroom is never funny.
Old February 25th 16, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I'm not making fun of anyone, Herb, and I think "diversity" is damaging
in any endeavor. When we spend so much time worrying about _what _we
are rather than _who _we are is when we start having friction. I think
it's people who are more concerned with their organs, skin color,
instrumentation, hair length, wing span, as well as mine(!) who make
this such a contentious place; RAS, not soaring. You may continue to
wring your hands and fret about "diversity" and name calling and I will
continue enjoying flying and reading others' opinions, which is what
this is all about. Sheesh... Lighten up. Like it or not, not everyone
agrees with you.

Dan

Old February 25th 16, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

Yes. We need to attract people to our sport. We all suffer from declining numbers and women are some of the available pool of "blood". A condisending attitude towards women, or any other "group" might even be unappealing to a wide variety of people here. There are a lot of people reading this group and anybody that posts is, to some extent, a representation of who we are in soaring. I think bad attitudes do our community a disservice.

Boggs
Old February 25th 16, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Truth

Let it be known soaring is the last bastion of shiny white males and you will see the ranks overflow with those seeking same.
Old February 25th 16, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

The majority of young people and quite a few older people are not going to join or stick around in a community that lets thinly veiled hostility to women and other under-represented demographics pass unremarked.

Let's keep it friendly. We all agree that soaring is in general awesome. It's part of the fun to passionately disagree and fight about the fine points of soaring.

But I thought we all agreed to keep politics, religion, and social theorizing out of soaring. We're too small of a group to start picking sides in those areas.
Old February 25th 16, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Truth

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 3:40:12 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
The majority of young people and quite a few older people are not going to join or stick around in a community that lets thinly veiled hostility to women and other under-represented demographics pass unremarked.

Let's keep it friendly. We all agree that soaring is in general awesome. It's part of the fun to passionately disagree and fight about the fine points of soaring.

But I thought we all agreed to keep politics, religion, and social theorizing out of soaring. We're too small of a group to start picking sides in those areas.

Actually young people are swinging back to conservative social values, they've lived enough diversity to be over it. Darn kids with their rebellious ways.

Old February 25th 16, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

i just KNEW this was going to turn into a **** show. on Feb 22 i almost wrote "and now we wait for some sucker to take the bait."

Old February 25th 16, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

i just knew this was going to turn into a **** show. saw it coming from a mile away.
Old June 18th 16, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Looks like this is the end for Mihai Tanjala and his ownership of Seminole Lake Gliderport. The people of Romania want their stolen money back. It has been national news for years now and finally coming to an end.

Whoever has cash to purchase this airport and its aircraft should be able to buy it from the Romanian government for a very reasonable price.

Watch this interview with one of the worlds most wanted criminals.

https://youtu.be/tDblm82uez8

https://youtu.be/tDblm82uez8