Ely, Nevada - Accident?

Old July 11th 17, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

Default Ely, Nevada - Accident?

I just saw this NTSB report regarding an accident at Ely on July 5th. Does anyone have any additional info on this accident? I am REALLY hoping that the pilot is OK.....Thanks - Renny

NTSB Identification: GAA17CA386
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Wednesday, July 05, 2017 in Ely, NV
Aircraft: ALEXANDER SCHLEICHER GMBH & CO ASH 31 MI, registration: N31MX
NTSB investigators will use data provided by various entities, including, but not limited to, the Federal Aviation Administration and/or the operator, and will not travel in support of this investigation to prepare this aircraft accident report.
Old July 11th 17, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 1:48:11 PM UTC-4, Renny wrote:
I just saw this NTSB report regarding an accident at Ely on July 5th. Does anyone have any additional info on this accident? I am REALLY hoping that the pilot is OK.....Thanks - Renny

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2017/0...-incident.html

"minor injuries" reported

best,
T8
Old July 11th 17, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 11:51:50 AM UTC-6, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 1:48:11 PM UTC-4, Renny wrote:
I just saw this NTSB report regarding an accident at Ely on July 5th. Does anyone have any additional info on this accident? I am REALLY hoping that the pilot is OK.....Thanks - Renny

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2017/0...-incident.html

"minor injuries" reported

best,
T8

I am glad the pilot is OK!
Thanks - Renny
Old July 11th 17, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

The story I have heard is pilot lost control in really nasty thermal top, perhaps spin and recovery straight down or inverted, felt the glider was broken or uncontrollable and punched out. Walked back to the FBO. Glider is a ASH31, lying in a remote canyon outside of Ely.

Things can get really nasty out of Ely sometimes.
Old December 4th 17, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 10:48:11 AM UTC-7, Renny wrote:
I just saw this NTSB report regarding an accident at Ely on July 5th. Does anyone have any additional info on this accident? I am REALLY hoping that the pilot is OK.....Thanks - Renny

NTSB Identification: GAA17CA386
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Wednesday, July 05, 2017 in Ely, NV
Aircraft: ALEXANDER SCHLEICHER GMBH & CO ASH 31 MI, registration: N31MX
NTSB investigators will use data provided by various entities, including, but not limited to, the Federal Aviation Administration and/or the operator, and will not travel in support of this investigation to prepare this aircraft accident report.

I talked with him next day in hanger. He answered he did not put too much water on tail. I flew on the same day there. I did not have unusual turbulence.
Old December 5th 17, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well I'm glad the pilot is ok, but curious if there is a lesson I should learn here. Given a good distance from anything else hard, this doesn't seem like it should result in an unscheduled disassembly.

If you are thermaling, the glider is not operating anywhere near a structural limit like any max G or speed. Flying an inattentive slow circle makes for the stall and subsequent spin. (Ask me how I know.)

So why not just fly out of the unusual attitude? Was there another glider, or not enough distance to the ground? Or perhaps there was a problem with the recovery?

The NTSB seems to say that a stall spin should result in a broken glider. This doesn't seem right unless there is no other margin.
Old December 5th 17, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 5:25:48 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Well I'm glad the pilot is ok, but curious if there is a lesson I should learn here. Given a good distance from anything else hard, this doesn't seem like it should result in an unscheduled disassembly.

If you are thermaling, the glider is not operating anywhere near a structural limit like any max G or speed. Flying an inattentive slow circle makes for the stall and subsequent spin. (Ask me how I know.)

So why not just fly out of the unusual attitude? Was there another glider, or not enough distance to the ground? Or perhaps there was a problem with the recovery?

The NTSB seems to say that a stall spin should result in a broken glider. This doesn't seem right unless there is no other margin.

There have been a number of accidents resulting from spins degrading into high-speed spiral dives. Particularly with some of the long wing birds. Not saying it's unavoidable, but it is something for all of us to keep in mind.

Cheers,
Craig
7Q

Old December 5th 17, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 6:03:51 PM UTC-8, Craig Funston wrote:
[...]

It takes about 8 sec of freefall to reach the glider's VNE of 145 kt (less if the glider's forward speed is converted to the vertical, in which case it may take only 5 sec). To some this may seem like an eternity, to others it happens in a flash. As always, this situation requires the immediate application of the appropriate recovery sequence

Tom
Old December 5th 17, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 5:25:48 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Well I'm glad the pilot is ok, but curious if there is a lesson I should learn here. Given a good distance from anything else hard, this doesn't seem like it should result in an unscheduled disassembly.

If you are thermaling, the glider is not operating anywhere near a structural limit like any max G or speed. Flying an inattentive slow circle makes for the stall and subsequent spin. (Ask me how I know.)

So why not just fly out of the unusual attitude? Was there another glider, or not enough distance to the ground? Or perhaps there was a problem with the recovery?

The NTSB seems to say that a stall spin should result in a broken glider. This doesn't seem right unless there is no other margin.

I believe there is no another glider near by such as in the same thermal.
I believe 2000ft AGL. Ely is 6000FT. He was above hill top which is 8000ft. NTSB report tells he was 10,000ft.

He said what he learned was that attach locating device with him such as parachute.

E-mail for Sam Whiteside Nevada Roy Clark, \B6\ Soaring 0 December 15th 13 10:17 PM
ELY Nevada [email protected] Soaring 26 February 3rd 09 04:28 AM
To Nevada in an Aztec Jay Honeck Piloting 11 March 19th 06 06:16 AM
2000km in Nevada Kemp Soaring 6 May 20th 05 08:17 AM
Nevada Sales Tax De Owning 2 January 21st 05 05:22 PM