ASW27B prices falling

Old August 14th 17, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default ASW27B prices falling

Wow, 700 Duo Discus; 250 Arcus, great job with Schempp spotting the right market. One of the most popular 15/18 gliders, the ASG-29 has only sold about 330 units.

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 6:50:51 AM UTC-7, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Monday, 14 August 2017 02:28:47 UTC-6, krasw wrote:
On Sunday, 13 August 2017 04:04:20 UTC+3, Tim Taylor wrote:
The balance shifted in about 2015 with more of the pilots moving to the 15/18m gliders rather than straight 15m.

I bet you can count straight 15m gliders manufactured after 2005 with your 10 fingers.

This paragraph was posted on the Schempp-Hirth FB page

"Apart from it being a tradition, we celebrated the deliveries of both the 700th Duo Discus, the 250 Arcus (see below) and, in a few weeks, the upcoming deliveries of the 200th Discus-2c and the very last produced Ventus-2."

If they are not producing the V2 anymore and the "New Ventus" is currently only 18M what does that say about the or their view of the future?

https://www.facebook.com/schempphirth/

Ron Gleason

Old August 15th 17, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 11:05:11 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Wow, 700 Duo Discus; 250 Arcus, great job with Schempp spotting the right market. One of the most popular 15/18 gliders, the ASG-29 has only sold about 330 units.

Schleicher still busy building ASK-21's. About 1000 of those, obviously over a longer time. Lead time is still over a year.
UH

Old August 15th 17, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Monday, 14 August 2017 18:07:49 UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
[...]

I have heard the 15/18M approach for the new Ventus but nothing on their website
Old August 15th 17, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

At the bottom of the new Ventus page in the Questions and answers section it says:

Is it possible in the future to fly the Ventus´ with 15m wing span?

The wing design of the new Ventus´ was optimized from the beginning for 15 meter and 18 meter. There will be a retrofit kit, but not for the second half of 2017.

http://www.schempp-hirth.com/en/sailplanes/the-new-ventus.html

Rumour has it that the design has recently been completed for the 15m tips and the late 2017 date mentioned above should be realistic.
Old August 15th 17, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 7:45:09 PM UTC-7, Dave Springford wrote:
At the bottom of the new Ventus page in the Questions and answers section it says:

Is it possible in the future to fly the Ventus´ with 15m wing span?

The wing design of the new Ventus´ was optimized from the beginning for 15 meter and 18 meter. There will be a retrofit kit, but not for the second half of 2017.

http://www.schempp-hirth.com/en/sailplanes/the-new-ventus.html

Rumour has it that the design has recently been completed for the 15m tips and the late 2017 date mentioned above should be realistic.

And Dave might have a nice ASW27-18 for sale soon....
Jim
Old August 15th 17, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 2:11:27 AM UTC+3, wrote:
On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 11:05:11 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Wow, 700 Duo Discus; 250 Arcus, great job with Schempp spotting the right market. One of the most popular 15/18 gliders, the ASG-29 has only sold about 330 units.

Schleicher still busy building ASK-21's. About 1000 of those, obviously over a longer time. Lead time is still over a year.

One imagines DG has built quite a few DG500 and DG1000 series too, especially with those various air force orders.

Maybe as much as Arcus?
Old August 15th 17, 09:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

And the Jonkers website only lists the JS-3-15meter, but Jonkers is posting video of the 18 meter process and like the New Ventus the JS-3 has been designed from the start as 15/18. I had a 15/18 Ventus 2C back in 1999, have an 15/18 ASG-29 now, there is no fundamental shift in glider markets other than the two place market is very good.

Old August 15th 17, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 8:30:09 AM UTC-4, Michael Opitz wrote:
I am staying with my STD class glider because I can fly STD, Sports,
and Club classes with it, and be competitive in any of them...
RO

Same here, RO. I bought my state-of-the-art Standard Class glider 25 years ago. I've flown it in five classes (Std., Sports, 15M, Open, and FAI Combined/Handicapped 15M/Std.) and am still competitive in Std., Sports, and Club (thanks, Rules Committee!). I owned a 15M glider for many years and would love to fly flaps again but the cost makes no sense at this point in my life. UH helped me refinish my fuselage last winter and my wings are on the list for this winter. So my plan is to close out my gliding career in the same aircraft I've been flying since 1992.

Soaring has never been inexpensive. It's just even less so now. And, yeah, the proliferation of classes doesn't help, although ironically it arguably makes the Std. and 15M classes somewhat more affordable as used prices decline with shrinking popularity. So as long as they don't disappear entirely....

Chip Bearden

FS ASW27B HL Falbaum Soaring 3 December 20th 06 11:51 PM
ASW27B Ray Gimmey Soaring 1 November 4th 06 03:41 AM
Gas prices falling... Jay Honeck Piloting 41 August 27th 06 10:16 AM
The sky is falling! Jim Home Built 10 April 30th 04 04:40 AM
ASW27B polar Chip Fitzpatrick Soaring 2 March 1st 04 01:48 PM